Sign in to follow this  
Sklo:D

Is It Time To Expand The Freedom Cluster?

New Server for Freedom?  

121 members have voted

1. 1. New Server for the Freedom Cluster?

• Yes
    • Not Now
    • Don't Care
    • Never

^ That is far too many servers to be justifiable.

That would depend on how much the new player retention rate is increased.  If the population growth rate remained the same, then yes it would be far too many.  It is sort of 'if you build they will come' mentality.  IMO more room could mean faster growth rates.

Bulk goods can be made by anyone and there seems to be plenty of trading going on in that sector... You don't have to be making 90 quality swords to be able to be a part of the marketplace.

Some players might not feel that making 1k mortar all the time would be considered 'crafting'.  You do need to make 90 quality swords if you wanted to be a weaponsmith, which i am sure some new players would like to be.

A crazy offshoot idea to add on:

1.  Open a new server but have it not be connected to any cluster.

2.  All new accounts go to this server (would be one way portal out to the other clusters for alts or friends). 

3.  In 6 months open a second server connected to the new cluster.

4.  Repeat steps 1-3

5.  After 2.5-3 years of existence, each server gets reset and a new map generated, possibly then only creating additional map when population calls for it

6.  After 2.5-3 years of existence, each character gets reset.  This sounds weird, but it is crazy enough it just might work (what percentage of players make it 3 years?). Also everyone knows they will get their prime time in the marketplace spotlight.

This wont sound like a good idea to most people here, so dont be too harsh.  you have to realize that this idea would perhaps sound good to the players who quit and thus dont post here.  Anyways i think the idea in my previous post is rather viable.

Uh, no, and for too many reasons to even start listing them.

5.  After 2.5-3 years of existence, each server gets reset and a new map generated, possibly then only creating additional map when population calls for it

6.  After 2.5-3 years of existence, each character gets reset.  This sounds weird, but it is crazy enough it just might work (what percentage of players make it 3 years?). Also everyone knows they will get their prime time in the marketplace spotlight.

This wont sound like a good idea to most people here, so dont be too harsh.  you have to realize that this idea would perhaps sound good to the players who quit and thus dont post here.  Anyways i think the idea in my previous post is rather viable.

Ok, so I will not be overly harsh. There are actually a good sized group of players that have been playing for many years, and there is no way that this can ever happen, without loosing the game populous really. There is no real point, in spending hundreds of hours investing in skills and a deed, if it will only come to be gone eventually, regardless of how long a player stays. I will stop there before I start to fill those ideas with bullet holes...

The wurm world is already to big imo or does not need to get bigger. I think the idea to have one or two servers reset once a while to make the eager for fresh land people happy is not a bad idea imo.

Let the pristine/release experiment run it is to early to stop it now.

That would depend on how much the new player retention rate is increased.  If the population growth rate remained the same, then yes it would be far too many.  It is sort of 'if you build they will come' mentality.  IMO more room could mean faster growth rates.

Some players might not feel that making 1k mortar all the time would be considered 'crafting'.  You do need to make 90 quality swords if you wanted to be a weaponsmith, which i am sure some new players would like to be.

That statement is totally false, even on older servers there is allways room for lower than 90 ql weapons, not every person have the silver to expend on high tier max enchanted weapons, and if you expend 3 minutes looking merchants in any server market you will find that not every merchant has 90 ql items (weapons, armour, tools, etc) and yet they are making bussines.

I have a merchant at TDM with mostly unenchanted 70 and 80 ql blacksmith items, and they sell even wen there is lots of merchants with enchanted or higher ql items near, including one in the same shop.

• Like 1

Don't see any need for a new server as there is loads of room on the existing ones.

I would quite like them rearranged into a squarer formation rather than a line, as the line discourages travel and trade between the far ends.

On an unrelated note, I don't want to see Release and pristine connected for a long while yet.  Destroying the unique character and atmosphere of the new servers by making them a part of the old cluster would be a loss, I think, for which I can't see any material gain for the game.   

Edited by Berris

The only argument i've heard to keep them separate is on the basis of economy and the markets...  and that's falling on deaf ears over here. 

Lol what a surprise that some people on the old cluster don't like the idea of the newer market being protected from them  :rolleyes:

Your arguments boil down to "we didn't get this thing which would be nice, and therefore nobody else should get it either."

• Like 2

My opinion: Pristine and Release should be added to the main cluster, regardless if the players there want it or not.

Love this part....sort of tellling those of us who play on Pristine and Release that our opinions/wants/and reasons for moving to said servers dont count...Exactly the reason many of us hope they are NEVER connected to keep such players with these attitudes out. 

New players that joined Deli and Exo didn't have that option to protect their markets when those servers were added, and you and I didn't have the option to keep the PVE market free from being saturated with Wild goods a couple of years ago... so, why should a new crew of kids have their own "private" Wurm, untouched by the rest of the playerbase?

You are right ...they didnt...we should reset those servers immediately. After all..we know those who rushed in from other servers and made markets ect are still there and didnt run back to Indy after the market stabilized...oh no wait a minute..that is exactly what most of them did...terraform a huge chunk of land...sell for exorbitantly high prices, then run back to indy leaving said deeds to be the eyesore for everyone else . OH BTW. That is Exactly WHY many are saying all new servers should be done as Pristine and Release have been from this day forward. The simple fact that many who moved to her, and started over, do NOT want connected should stand testimony to the experiments success. 

Also furthermore...ALL servers DID have the chance to create new chars on Pristine / Release..Therefore your argument that Exodus and ect didn't have the chance are negated...Everyone there COULD have created a new char on Pristine or Release and enjoyed the same benefits that the rest of us are enjoying. YOU also had equal opportunity to do as the rest of us and choose to create a new toon. Quit playing the injured party...you CHOSE not to move, therefore YOU CHOSE your consequences. 

IMHO leave the two freedom areas apart for at least another year, and when they are joined consider making more new "fresh start" servers. Pristine and Release were very successful because they were so different.

I think the only rason people don´t want to join Pristine and Release is because they are selling some extremly overpriced things and probably bleeding the money back to old cluster trougth Epic.

Upon a time I hoped for a join to bring my alt to Cele, but rigth now i don´t care, I think rigth now the most important thing to modify is the way that old Freedom cluster servers are connected, other than that leave pristine and release unconnected forever, so people that want to pay 15x the price for a horse can go there and the rest can choose the old cluster.

[...] I think the idea to have one or two servers reset once a while to make the eager for fresh land people happy is not a bad idea imo.

Originally Epic was supposed to do this, but the player-base outcry against it stopped Rolf from doing it.  Basically, even knowing this was the intent, by the time they got to a point to do a reset, a lot of vocal players were attached to their characters.

Just like when when the Pristine/Release servers were added and Rolf stated, and has restated, they will be connected at some point, it is just a point as to when.

While I do support joining them back to the main cluster BEFORE a new land mass is added, I also think that each new land mass created as we move forward should be treated the same way as these current servers.  A "Fresh Start" server.

So before a new server is added, the older servers should be linked.  This reduces pressure/demand due to a lack of space, and opens the markets for both buyers and sellers.  Some number of days later (to give folks a chance to settle in), open the new "Fresh Start" server.

Yes it sucks for those of us who didn't get a chance to level unopposed in the market, or to set up traders to drain while the money was good, but I have started looking at it like a lot of other things in Wurm, there was a window of opportunity, those who wanted to, took advantage of it.

So before adding more land mass, merge the "new" cluster with the old, and each new land mass gets the same "Fresh Start" treatment.

• Like 1

But moving the servers like Outlaw said: yes

Connecting south cele with north inde would increase traffic and people settling on cele (or even inde)

And if you must really make a new server, perhaps one the size of Inde,

1.  Moving the servers sounds like a good idea, Celebration to the north of Indy, and Exodus to the east of Indy.  Reducing the travel time from Indy to the outer Isles will enable commerce.

What does concern me is the many reports I have heard from folks who have packed up and departed Celebration in total disgust due to the near complete near lawlessness down there.

Before rearranging the travel map layout, can the GM's please step up enforcement of the game rules down south.   If not we could see folks with a "who needs to follow the rules, not me" mentality bringing their disrespectful, griefing, selfish ways over to Indy and the other servers.

If they want to be trouble makers, I am sure the folks on Epic or Chaos would welcome the target practice, as ppl with out good manner do not survive long over there.

2. Concurr with Lycanthropic, make the next new server Indy sized.  Because of their tiny size, only a 1/4 that of Indy, (we saw this on Celebration, Pristine and Release when they were opened), ALL the good land spots were deeded with in a day of their being opened.  Had then been massive, like Indy and Chaos, ppl would still be exploring and opening up new areas.

Food for thought.

Respectfully submitted,

Hughmongus

I think new servers are important to breath new life into the game.Some People need and want that thrill that only the opening of a new server can bring. The quest to find that epic spot before someones else snatches it up. The hunt to find the nest of the dragons or just the thrill of exploring a new map. Now i know we can not keep adding more and more servers that is why i think we need at least one server that resets every year or on an event so you can keep getting that thrill that we all seek.  

Sure there would not be any super sized deeds but i think everyone would have a small outpost deed for exploring and hunting for the year or however long it lasted. I am not sure how it would work but i feel we need something like this moving forward so we can always have the adventure in the game that only a new server brings. 

That's the most awesome idea i've ever read :)

No matter the whine, you know what will happen if you go to that server.

That trill is exactly why a large part of the community play, so why not having 2 kind of servers ?

1 - the classic one as they are today

2 - the rolling one, on an event or whatever, everything start again from the begining with a new map !

Quit playing the injured party...you CHOSE not to move, therefore YOU CHOSE your consequences. 

You mean that I chose to continue to play my main character and not create a new character just so I could access these servers... yes, you're right.

Sure, I used the market/economy as my prime example as to why they should be linked, but that's because said example was already used by the opposing side as to why it shouldn't, and really, that's their only reason. Do I want to corner those server's markets? Nope. If that was my intention, I would have done so already.

Again, having the servers detached from the rest (and non accessible) is just more segregation of the playerbase. This is the real issue, not yours (or my) silly enchants.

As for your idea of hows things went during Deli and Exo's release, I am not going to bother debating it or correcting you, I will just tell you that it wasn't a bunch of Indy players coming down to terraform huge deeds to sell for "exorbitant" prices. Deeds don't even sell, not nearly for what you put into them anyway...

Lol what a surprise that some people on the old cluster don't like the idea of the newer market being protected from them  :rolleyes:

Your arguments boil down to "we didn't get this thing which would be nice, and therefore nobody else should get it either."

No, my argument was more "Everyone else has to compete with each other EXCEPT Pristine/Release players". Fair is fair. Were you around way back when, when Wild was added to the PVE cluster?... I was in your exact boat with the same exact stance: protect my (fairly new and robust) market from being saturated by years and years of [90] casts that have been sitting around in locked chests collecting dust....

And I wasn't the only PVEer crying about it. None the less, the concern wasn't addressed or even considered. If it wasn't a concern back then, why is it now? Anyway, we're all talking as if the Pris/Rele release happened because the players asked for a "fresh start" in PVE... that's far from what happened, and really, only what some people made of it. I recall those servers being released for 1.0, not for "fresh starts"....

By the way, you guys know what this "vet" is going to do to your precious servers once they finally get attached? I am going to go there and kill the nasties that are ganking and frustrating your newbs.... you're welcome in advance.  ;)

You are right ...they didnt...we should reset those servers immediately. After all..we know those who rushed in from other servers and made markets ect are still there and didnt run back to Indy after the market stabilized...oh no wait a minute..that is exactly what most of them did...terraform a huge chunk of land...sell for exorbitantly high prices, then run back to indy leaving said deeds to be the eyesore for everyone else . OH BTW. That is Exactly WHY many are saying all new servers should be done as Pristine and Release have been from this day forward. The simple fact that many who moved to her, and started over, do NOT want connected should stand testimony to the experiments success. 

Also furthermore...ALL servers DID have the chance to create new chars on Pristine / Release..Therefore your argument that Exodus and ect didn't have the chance are negated...Everyone there COULD have created a new char on Pristine or Release and enjoyed the same benefits that the rest of us are enjoying. YOU also had equal opportunity to do as the rest of us and choose to create a new toon. Quit playing the injured party...you CHOSE not to move, therefore YOU CHOSE your consequences. 

Actually, the Deliverance market was created by Rudie and  community, ruined by a back door dealing by Zalifear as far as I was told. Both players are no longer even playing Wurm and one the markets still stand active.

In the initial announcment for your precious Pristine and Release they were advertised to be connected at a later date. So players including myself opted not to go since it will be connected eventually anyways. So yes we did have the chance to start fresh new characters and settle fresh new lands but frankly a lot of us have invested enough time on one character and we were promised a connection, we see no reason to destroy and loose everything we have spent so much time into for something that will join us anyways. Face it, just like chaos  was joined to Indy, things happened, you guys will be joined and stuff will happen. It was advertised, it has been discussed, it is in inevitable. 

As far as opening a new server for the freedom cluster, plenty of land. I am returning from about a 1 year break bit less that I think by a couple months, going around and exploring Deliverance the past couple days I have seen 1. plenty of land and 2. many new and exciting things. So maybe pack up your cogs, sail to a different server already open and explore. If its about that wild new land or the crazy new adventure, if you really want it, you will find it.

Just join pristine/release with the main cluster already and lets get this argument done and over with and these pristine/release kids can get off their high horses of entitlement. 

• Like 3

Not speaking for or against rejoining the split servers here, just responding to a sentiment I perceive that Deli was populated and dominated by Indy oldbies - its coastal areas certainly were, and I was one of them (was about a month old at the time). I think this had more to do with a total lack of coastal or lakefront area available on Indy than evil old players conspiring to shut the newbies out. Deli was the first new server in ?years? so there was quite an epic landrush for it. Less so for exodus, and even less for Celebration (perception).

Now I believe on and off there is open lakefront or ocean front land on each of these three servers, as well as on Indy. When this gets to be less the case would be when I would advocate adding new servers - sometimes connected, sometimes not. Plenty of people settle initially in a second-rate area (my little homestead on indy was _hilariously_ small, even if it did have its own tiny stretch of coastline) and later want to move - without losing their first character. I think there's nothing wrong with that. As for old players deeding everything - well, that's income for the game, trader argument notwithstanding.

If Wurm was to add new servers I would say make them special. Themed Islands : desert island with lots of palm trees etc type island, A temperate forest island with associated creatures. Higher difficulty islands. Etc like that to allow people to live on island that suite their play style and ideal environment better.

As others have said, there's still too few players to justify additional landmass. There's large unsettled areas on Release, and from what I hear the same is true on Pristine and the old cluster.

If at some point advertisement of the game takes place, and a large influx of players occurs, and more importantly, STAYS, then additional land mass may be necessary. Certainly not before there's at least a ballpark of 50-75% more players in game on average. There's plenty of space as things are.

RE: Release/Pristine - Too soon to join. Another year, maybe 1.5 years. The bulk goods market reflects old cluster prices, but other markets are still too unsettled and new with monopolies emerging and then just as abruptly vanishing again, leaving vacancies for the new upcoming wave of crafters. Enchants in particular are only just developing. 

Thanks for giving me an overview about your opinion!

It turned out as a clear "not now" and some people talked about uniting the new and old freedom cluster with mixed results.

FM might close this topic now!

I voted never, but here is why:

I think wurm needs to find a way to bring all game features including pvp into ONE server type in order to progress.      (pls don't derail based on this, but in PM I would be glad to discuss.)