Sign in to follow this  
Sklo:D

Is It Time To Expand The Freedom Cluster?

New Server for Freedom?  

121 members have voted

1. 1. New Server for the Freedom Cluster?

• Yes
    • Not Now
    • Don't Care
    • Never

After DC asked about a name for a possible new Freedom Server, I started thinking...

I was alone in the Forest for over a year, but now my area gets flooded by player.

Is it just me or has some else noticed something?

Edited by Sklo:D

No.

We need Pristine/Release connected to the old Freedom cluster, and we need new placements so servers are not lined up on a huge string.

This can't happen too soon.

• Like 20

why would anyone want these servers connected to the older ones ?

• Like 1

Yes, add pristine and release to the cluster. 

• Like 2

why would anyone want these servers connected to the older ones ?

Connecting the servers means all characters on either cluster gets access to more land, increasing value.

Edited by EliasTheCrimson

More space means more deeds, but populations spreads out too.

after rele and pris are connected

then maybe in ~6months a new server.

dont see a reason to make too many of them with this little player count

I think we need a PMK server on Epic.  Just saying....

• Like 2

I was alone in the Forest for over a year, but now my area gets flooded by player.

Sounds like someone built a road near you :P

I have absolutely no problem with new servers being added to either cluster if there's a demand for it. However I (as a Release resident) do not want to see the clusters connected yet. We're only just starting to see coc casts! :P

• Like 1

There are already too many servers in this cluster catering for a relatively thinly spread population. It's not needed.

• Like 4

Connect south Cele to North Indy. Or put Cele/Exo to the east of Indy/Deli.

That would help everyone much more than a new server. (Which isn't needed in the slightest. There are most deeds disbanding and up for sale than people can possibly hope to replace at the same rate)

For anyone asking for a new server...why exactly do you want one? Its not like there isn't more than enough room on the current servers. Sure, a change of scenery would be nice, but if that's what you're after, just go try out epic, where there are 4 servers to explore)

Edited by Outlaw
  • Like 2

Never said that I want one, just asked if there is a need for one.

I think new servers are important to breath new life into the game.Some People need and want that thrill that only the opening of a new server can bring. The quest to find that epic spot before someones else snatches it up. The hunt to find the nest of the dragons or just the thrill of exploring a new map. Now i know we can not keep adding more and more servers that is why i think we need at least one server that resets every year or on an event so you can keep getting that thrill that we all seek.  

Sure there would not be any super sized deeds but i think everyone would have a small outpost deed for exploring and hunting for the year or however long it lasted. I am not sure how it would work but i feel we need something like this moving forward so we can always have the adventure in the game that only a new server brings. 

Rolf has stated there will be 'probably' one more server added prior to connecting pristine/release to the main cluster. I still think this is some time off, as much as a year yet.

[21:13] <@Wossoo>  :) What are the plans regarding joinging Pristine and Release to older freedom servers and if this would happen, when?
[21:14] <&Rolf> there is no ETA and it's more probable that we add new servers to those islands before rejoining
[21:15] <&Rolf> one day it will be pointless keeping them apart
[21:15] <@Wossoo> Alright

As Wraithglow mentions casts are just now beginning to be available at higher levels on the cluster so I too vote that it is yet too soon, tho, I would not care if it NEVER connected. Also with the TONS of unsettled land still available on many servers I do not think new ones are 'needed'

Something like Kegans suggestion would surely be more interesting and sustainable I believe than having 20 more servers in the next 20 years. There does come a point where new servers and additional costs, and therefore more price increases, just make no sense

Edited by Emane
  • Like 3

A new server is much more fun if everyone is on a new character too Kegan.

Much like Pristine/Release and Epic before it, the most fun to be had is when everyone is 1 skill and scrambling to find iron, as it is something different from the usual game.

There's really no use for a new server if it's just another generic landmass like pretty much every single map by now. Once you've seen the crater, volcano island and riggidy rock spikes there's not much left 

• Like 1

New servers, no

But moving the servers like Outlaw said: yes

Connecting south cele with north inde would increase traffic and people settling on cele (or even inde)

And if you must really make a new server, perhaps one the size of Inde, but seeing Rolf only wants to add new servers to pristine and release, then (as an Inde player) I dont really care much.

• Like 1

I have no problem with adding Pristine and Release to the main cluster if they want it, but we do not need another server.

Before adding a new server there should be more village functionality to bring more people together and encourage more city life then a frontier life. This would bring more people out of the woods and into society, giving more room to others that want to live the hermit life.

• Like 3

Rather see new maps in Epic; however, if Rolf feels the Freedom cluster needs new maps more, sure.

I have no problem with adding Pristine and Release to the main cluster if they want it, but we do not need another server.

My opinion: Pristine and Release should be added to the main cluster, regardless if the players there want it or not. All the split is doing is dividing the playerbase. The only argument i've heard to keep them separate is on the basis of economy and the markets...  and that's falling on deaf ears over here. New players that joined Deli and Exo didn't have that option to protect their markets when those servers were added, and you and I didn't have the option to keep the PVE market free from being saturated with Wild goods a couple of years ago... so, why should a new crew of kids have their own "private" Wurm, untouched by the rest of the playerbase?

As for a new PVE server? I am totally accepting of the addition of a brand new PVE hunting only server, where no one can deed, the critter caps are high and possibly Valrei creatures are running around... I agree, though, that another deed-able server should not be brought online.

Edit: I didn't vote in the poll due to the options being too ambiguous. My answer would be: Yes, but under certain conditions/circumstances.

Edited by As_I_Decay
  • Like 1

Judging from the success of pristine and release, i think rolf should

1.  Open a new server but have it not be connected to any cluster.

2.  All new accounts go to this server (would be one way portal out to the other clusters for alts or friends). 

3.  In 6 months open a second server not connected to any cluster.

4.  In 12 months connect these 2 servers, and open a new server (not connected) repeating steps 1-4, creating a separate 2 server cluster.

5.  After 1.5-2 years, the mini cluster should join the existing freedom cluster (release/pristine as well)

This would need to be known and expected by the player base, possibly limiting alt land grabs knowing a new server will show up every 6 months.

I believe this would greatly enhance the new player experience.  We all know a great percentage of new players leave the game.  Capturing a portion of these players could justify a new server every 6 months.

To me it seems a lot of people want the frontier experience, and that will become harder the longer Wurm is around, even with a randomly appearing new server.  Players also want a chance to be a part of the marketplace.  If one has to grind for 2-3 years to be able to play that part of the game, you could start to see stagnation like the old wild server had seen for the very same reasons (combat oriented in that case).

^ That is far too many servers to be justifiable.

There is so much unclaimed land and the population is already spread so far apart, adding new servers every 6 months would leave every server feeling completely empty. (Some already do)

You don't have to grind 2-3 years to enter the marketplace to sell goods/services. Bulk goods can be made by anyone and there seems to be plenty of trading going on in that sector. People have found other things to trade also, whether it is deed planning, building a house for someone, enchanting grass tiles etc. You don't have to be making 90 quality swords to be able to be a part of the marketplace.

A crazy offshoot idea to add on:

1.  Open a new server but have it not be connected to any cluster.

2.  All new accounts go to this server (would be one way portal out to the other clusters for alts or friends). 

3.  In 6 months open a second server connected to the new cluster.

4.  Repeat steps 1-3

5.  After 2.5-3 years of existence, each server gets reset and a new map generated, possibly then only creating additional map when population calls for it

6.  After 2.5-3 years of existence, each character gets reset.  This sounds weird, but it is crazy enough it just might work (what percentage of players make it 3 years?). Also everyone knows they will get their prime time in the marketplace spotlight.

This wont sound like a good idea to most people here, so dont be too harsh.  you have to realize that this idea would perhaps sound good to the players who quit and thus dont post here.  Anyways i think the idea in my previous post is rather viable.

Resetting accounts ever 2-3 years is a terrible idea.

You're suggesting for WAY too many servers to be added. Unless wurm see's it's population double, there is no need to add that amount. (We would get by fine having double the amount of players on the current servers)