Sign in to follow this  
Deth666

Stop Punishing People For Server Restarts

I knew this would happen when rolf promised he would give out sb for each downtime

people always want more more more more more

• Like 1

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/34362-sleep-bonus/

You were all for it before Alyeska.... lol...

That is where the idea I posted came from, there is also code to enable 10 hours sleep bonus already in the game.

I guess the continues misuse of words like "punishment" and begging and crying have a way of changing ones mind eh. Whine enough and eventually no one will like your ideas anymore.

That could be the reason or not.

Truth stands. The idea is good and valid. I wont rehash old arguments which have been agreed upon by many and proven to be good ideas.

Edited by Suntzu

As much as it burned to spend hours to sail to the Rite of Spring then have the game promptly crash and get 5 hours of sleep bonus right before I went on vacation where I can't log in until Tuesday...

...chill out, it's not that big of a deal. The idea of SB is to compensate for people who don't play very often or for if you lose out of playtime due to a crash. And I mean compensate in the "make up for" or "make even" sense... not the pay you. If you had a bunch of SB already, then clearly you aren't using it that much and you didn't lose out on much, or there was a fluke and stuff happens and next time you'll benefit. 

Life goes on. 

• Like 1

Nobody is punishing you because you got one hour of sleep bonus instead of five.

Get over it.

>.> honestly when I opened this topic I thought it had to do with the rollbacks letting out all of our animals, etc :P 

Saw this..

I knew this would happen when rolf promised he would give out sb for each downtime

people always want more more more more more

And could only think of this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48-tcRiBNj4

On the topic at hand.. meh.  I've previously supported the idea of a non-trade SB item, but frankly, would rather the issues causing the outage be addressed.  If it is code based, debug it, if it is service based, relocate, if it is system/user based, well.. ever seen the ending of Old Yeller?

So you rather not having any bonus at all ( and to everyone ), just because you don't fully get it on you?

Dude...

so you read that and only see "Remove for everyone".....that bring me back to one of my points Plese come back when you've learned to read. my point is i could have stayed online and skilled but choose to sleep in a bed for my SB for better skill gains making that time useless

Aleyska thank you for the info that this is something promised.   Thant being said  Rolf is still not responsible for whether we chose to use our sb or save it. 

I'm tired of seeing this come up EVERY time we have a server crash and SB is given out.  I move he stops giving out any SB anymore, just to shut you all up.

• Like 1

so you read that and only see "Remove for everyone".....that bring me back to one of my points Plese come back when you've learned to read. my point is i could have stayed online and skilled but choose to sleep in a bed for my SB for better skill gains making that time useless

That's why Rolf kindly provide you 5 hours  Sleep Bonus ;)

You didn't burn all your SB before server crash/restart? Well you should have it done so.

If your complain is about the time you lost ingame, which you have payed for, you should contact the boss :)

Have fun!

Edited by Maedhros

I log off in a bed and get on the next morning and have about 55 minutes to 1 hour of SB I would much rather get on and have 5 hours then 55 minutes

• Like 1

I'd rather see changes to the cap.

-No cap on SB. F2P accounts can only gain SB from sleeping if under 5 hours. The bed limitation is so F2P can't sleep in bed while play another game for a couple months. Premium can accumulate unlimited SB.

If there are problems with giving SB compensation to accounts that aren't active (haven't logged in for some period) we could exclude them. A premium toon should always receive compensation.

-1 really...  your not being punished  rolf didnt FORCE you to keep 5hours of SB on you

It mildly upsets me to how much you made it look like this was such a terrible thing it was a forced consequence 

It mildly upsets me to how much you made it look like this was such a terrible thing it was a forced consequence 

you are right it was a poor choice of wording, it should have been, "stop screwing players for not expecting the game to fail"

Entitlement much?

The SB is a gift from Rolf to say sorry for an interruption which may not even impact you. He doesn't have to do it, he doesn't always do it.

To be honest five hours of SB is a massive recompense for what is usually a very small outage. Each hour of outage is fractionally more than 0.01E of your subscription so even a six hour outage would be 0.07E in lost subs time.

Look at how much a sleep powder costs compared to that. He could reduce the SB to just one hour and it would still be incredibly generous.

If he simply stopped the clock on subs while servers are down that would be exact recompense for whatever issue is going on but I guess no one would look too favourably on a 0.02 or 0.03E "saving"

At no point is he trying to "screw players over", especially not for unreasonable expectations.

• Like 1

I didn't really read every post here since it's three pages, but uh.... like lol, you logged out, you're not playing, what... did you lose out on by the server crashing if you're not even online...?

Are people really that entitled to get rewards for "punishments" that didn't even affect them?  If you logged out to get sleep bonus.... you got sleep bonus anyway.

• Like 7

Please Gary, post that again so i can like it again.

• Like 2

The BONUS is to compensate for the time that you COULDNT play, while the server was down.   You werent playing when the server crashed.

If the system worked CORRECTLY, you sholdnt get ANY sleep bonus at all.    You say you actually did get some bonus, you got Sleep Bonus that you dont deserve.

If I was as elocuent and dramatic as you seem to be, I would say that you are cheating, and that you are stealing from the game.

But since the server apparently doesnt check who was on at that time, the give SB to everyone, wich is a nice thing.

Now stop whining like a little baby gorilla, and burn off some of that SB if you want to get MORE SB that you dont deserve, for free, the next time the servers crash.

you are right it was a poor choice of wording, it should have been, "stop screwing players for not expecting the game to fail"

My brother:  Server crashed.  Got sleep bonus for it.

Me:  Bummer, I already have 5 hours.

This was the extent of my disappointment, and I never gave it another thought until painfully reading this thread.

The NUMBER 1 reason I don't care about "unfound" sleep bonus, is because I choose to play the game my way and my way just so happened to gain me 5 hours of sleep bonus using a bed, instead of a hand out.  I made the choice to not use SB lately so I could save it back up to 5 hours and grind it back down again; that was my choice ALONE.  I cannot flame Rolf and company for the way I choose to hoard my own sleep bonus.  I'm grateful for the SB gift they hand out, even if only my comrades receive it and not myself, because there are more people in the game than just me.

Perfect example:  my brother uses sleep bonus more often than I do, so when the server goes down and SB is rewarded I'm grateful because then he can continue to grind his skills and happily craft-away all the day long and finish projects.

I'd suggest finding joy when others get a gift; be happy for them.

Edited by Slickshot

why is this even a topic for discussion? like it has been said quite a few times already. SB is something free that doesn't need to be given. stop saving it up and use it as you get it. problem solved.

• Like 1

Best way for people to solve their own personal issues with SB is to treat it as something you can only gain while sleeping in a bed.  That way you don't have to worry about who benefited the most from down-time.  Honestly I rarely ever notice when down-time gives SB because my mind is so tuned to treat a bed as my primary SB source.

I'm just wondering how many of the same people would be outraged if this was changed, but with the addition that you don't get any bonus if you weren't logged in at the time of the crash and didn't try to log in while the server was down...

Please consider the percentage of times you've received any free sleep bonus when the reason for it being given out has not impacted your gaming in any way before claiming that a reimbursement for affected gaming is punishing you.

• Like 2