Sign in to follow this  
sunsvortex

Culture Packs

Use a number of different graphic companies or a single one, whatever works and cut a deal with them. They make graphic packs and dev team implements the packs. Packs are then sold in the store to those who wish to purchase them. The graphics companies get paid through the sales of the packs and Wurm doesn't have to put so much up front capitol in place as well as makes a bit of money off the sale. Players get new graphics on a regular schedule and CodeClub and the Graphic companies all make money.

I say Culture packs as they would include new graphics for say -

1. Wall textures

2. Statues

3. Architectural Objects

4. Armors

5. Bardings

6. Bushes

And then each could be based on a specific culture ie. Egyptian, Russian, Eastern Flavors(Japanese, Chinese ect ect ect) Indian

At any rate...if I wanted to plan a deed with the look and feel of Saint Basils Cathedral then I would have the wall textures, architectural objects and other supporting graphics to make it look like such.

f8xTiBl.jpg

Or maybe something like the Taj mahal

RxXkw3P.jpg

In my mind this would give Wurm a variety of flavors and added beauty across the landscape and allow a lot of creativity to the players.

Edited by sunsvortex

For real money? No. For silvers, sure.

Let's leave euros for buying premium time and silver.

Wurm needs some graphical variety anyway.

• Like 1

Yeah for real money...its the only way we would ever see these packs on a regular basis.

Got to pay the companies producing them unless you like more price hikes.

IMO the art team are already wonderful as they are, the quality of their work never ceases to amaze. Good things take time :)

• Like 5

No one is saying they are not...just need more...and good things don't take near as much time if you have more people working on more good things. IIRC some of the graphics were outsourced anyways..so its not a big stretch to improve upon that setup.

I agree with Atherwalker. Having played Pre 1.0 and After, the changes to this game have been amazing. I think people tend to forget that we are really only 8 month's into the game's rapidly changing face. Good things take time, and while outsourcing (more) would yield instant gratification, we need to remeber that is not what Wurm is about. Don't think about what will be changed tomorrow, think about what great things will be achieved in 6months, 1 year, ect.   ;)

• Like 2

Again...no one is saying they haven't made improvements. And this has nothing to do with instant gratification..it has to do with getting a lot of graphics pumped out, supporting them and moving forward with a limited budget and small team...while expanding the creative options for players in a time frame that a bit faster than a glacial pace.

you don't hire 5 people to build a skyscraper..you hire hundreds of people. Adding several culture packs would be quite an endeavor and would take much more staff than is currently available.

Edited by sunsvortex

These days seems a lot of games buy premade textures and graphics, I get when people say everything takes time, but it does seem strange in a pretty heavy building based game we have so little in the variety of things to build.

If spending a little here and there at the cash shop added a decent bang for the buck I can't say I'm opposed.

Edited by Kadore

My only concern would be an imitation of a problem in Minecraft with texture packs: Some buildings look great in pack A but look absolutely horrid if you're using pack B or C (or something else entirely).

• Like 1

And for PvP, having custom texture packs so that your enemies glow brightly and your terrain is all transparent would be BAD

• Like 2

An interesting concept, but the game and player base is still too small to do it.  I think you are underestimating the cost of graphics, and overestimating the number of players that would pay for them.

• Like 1

I can't see Wurm having texture packs inspired by vastly different cultures when diversity hasn't even been achieved with the current one. I'd much rather want the current quasi-medieval-Europe textures diversified (like, more than one type of window, please?) rather than see the game's art style take split of in many different directions and completely ruin the visual consistency. There's so much more work to do with our current texture set.

And then there's the issue of potential imbalance caused by people having different textures.

Edited by EliasTheCrimson
  • Like 4

We have seen this model in many other games out there, basically get your wallet out and outfit your character or your housing in proportion to what your real life finances can absorb !

It starts to take away from what your character can accomplish within the confines of the game itself, and simply becomes more of a... buy your options, put them in your shopping cart, and show off!    Today its housing packs, tomorrow its armor packs, and weapon packs....No Thank you !

I support contracting some work out to help the game along, but only if all premium players have direct and unconditional access to the results.

and furthermore...I am not sure how long you have been playing, but if you were playing 3-4 years ago, you cant even begin to compare the rate of development that takes place now, compared to back then.

Personally, I don't want Wurm to become a "skyscraper" .... there are lots of "skyscrapers" out there in the MMO world, and personally I play Wurm because it is not one !   

Edited by Thorin
  • Like 2

I can't see Wurm having texture packs inspired by vastly different cultures when diversity hasn't even been achieved with the current one. I'd much rather want the current quasi-medieval-Europe textures diversified (like, more than one type of window, please?) rather than see the game's art style take split of in many different directions and completely ruin the visual consistency. There's so much more work to do with our current texture set.

And then there's the issue of potential imbalance caused by people having different textures.

Not sure I even begin to understand how people having different textures is a balance issue.

ok not sure how this got turned into texture packs...but let me restate - Im not even remotely talking about texture packs. Texture packs are simple overlays ie a bloody photoshop layer...that's not what this is about.

Culture packs would have "new" graphics that are based on a particular cultures predominant architectural style. They would have items such as armor, statues, fountains, lamp posts, plants and perhaps animals that all match. They could consist of new geometry items...say Circular structures (wall pieces, roofs) new archways on different angles, flower beds that are oval, walls that are at a variable angle for pyramid building, Stained glass windows....just whatever matches a particular style.

Absolutely under no circumstances should they waste time on texture packs

Edited by sunsvortex

I can't see Wurm having texture packs inspired by vastly different cultures when diversity hasn't even been achieved with the current one. I'd much rather want the current quasi-medieval-Europe textures diversified (like, more than one type of window, please?) I can certainly agree with this to a point - so if they partnered with several graphic companies then they would be able to expand on the current cultural items assuming that available resources (artists) are the actual holdup on expanding the current line of items. All the while adding others as well. Once its in place, logic would suggest that players wanting other items added to a particular cultures base building set would have a much better chance of getting those items implemented.  rather than see the game's art style take split of in many different directions and completely ruin the visual consistency -  here is where I start to disagree - visual consistency is a matter of opinion and I don't think anyone's version of it should reign supreme. There's so much more work to do with our current texture set.

To further address visual consistency - its conceivable that they could limit what culture packs could be built to certain areas of a given server. IE Arabic style building in the desert, European in the forests ect ect ect. or some variation of that base concept. One could also ..during deed setup pick a particular culture pack thereby limiting items built on the deed to that particular cultures item pack. Some items could be across the board..such as plants animals..statues...but when it comes to big major items such as buildings, walls towers...those could be limited to the chosen culture pack.

And then there's the issue of potential imbalance caused by people having different textures. You lost me here. How do graphic styles affect balance? If your talking about PVP servers...im certain any issues that would arise could be easily dealt with.

Edited by sunsvortex

We have seen this model in many other games out there, basically get your wallet out and outfit your character or your housing in proportion to what your real life finances can absorb ! Yes many games have taken such an approach. There is a reason for this...because it works. SONY is currently doubling down on this concept and allowing the community to create content for its new game EQNext. I see no reason for Wurm not to follow concepts and ideas that have a proven track record of working.

It starts to take away from what your character can accomplish within the confines of the game itself, and simply becomes more of a... buy your options, put them in your shopping cart, and show off!    Today its housing packs, tomorrow its armor packs, and weapon packs....No Thank you ! Yes there is a fine line here of pay to win...but that's already in place within the game...just for some its hidden well. You have to pay for Premium don't you...No?...but you get a lot more if you do....you have to pay for your deed don't you...No because you can do FTP?....but you get a lot more if you do......you would have to pay for the culture packs...No?...but you get a lot more if you do...From my POV its in line with the rest of the major game mechanics.

I support contracting some work out to help the game along, but only if all premium players have direct and unconditional access to the results. This would be great if it can be afforded...my guess is that this could not be afforded without charging us one way or the other. I prefer to choose what I get charged for instead of having a blanket increase in prices.

and furthermore...I am not sure how long you have been playing, but if you were playing 3-4 years ago, you cant even begin to compare the rate of development that takes place now, compared to back then. I have been playing a bit over a year and a half and I remember well pre 1.0...I am not saying in any way that progress and improvements haven't been made. This has nothing to do with that.

Personally, I don't want Wurm to become a "skyscraper" .... there are lots of "skyscrapers" out there in the MMO world, and personally I play Wurm because it is not one !   No one is talking about a skyscraper...at all. Different building styles are just that...different building styles.

To further address visual consistency - its conceivable that they could limit what culture packs could be built to certain areas of a given server. IE Arabic style building in the desert, European in the forests ect ect ect. or some variation of that base concept. One could also ..during deed setup pick a particular culture pack thereby limiting items built on the deed to that particular cultures item pack. Some items could be across the board..such as plants animals..statues...but when it comes to big major items such as buildings, walls towers...those could be limited to the chosen culture pack.

Seriously, so now you are talking about "themes" ??   I thought this was a open ended sandbox game??

And really how can you restrict building styles of one type to deserts, and another type to forests,  when players can terra form the very nature of tiles...they can change forest to desert at will....

And yet you just finished saying in the previous sentence:  "visual consistency is a matter of opinion and I don't think anyone's version of it should reign supreme",  but in the next paragraph you start talking about limiting these "culture packs" to certain terrain types....

What you are talking about is changing the fundamental core Sandbox values of Wurm itself...I think you really need to re-examine what road you are trying to take us down here.....

Edited by Thorin
  • Like 1

We have seen this model in many other games out there, basically get your wallet out and outfit your character or your housing in proportion to what your real life finances can absorb ! Yes many games have taken such an approach. There is a reason for this...because it works. SONY is currently doubling down on this concept and allowing the community to create content for its new game EQNext. I see no reason for Wurm not to follow concepts and ideas that have a proven track record of working.

It starts to take away from what your character can accomplish within the confines of the game itself, and simply becomes more of a... buy your options, put them in your shopping cart, and show off!    Today its housing packs, tomorrow its armor packs, and weapon packs....No Thank you ! Yes there is a fine line here of pay to win...but that's already in place within the game...just for some its hidden well. You have to pay for Premium don't you...No?...but you get a lot more if you do....you have to pay for your deed don't you...No because you can do FTP?....but you get a lot more if you do......you would have to pay for the culture packs...No?...but you get a lot more if you do...From my POV its in line with the rest of the major game mechanics.

I support contracting some work out to help the game along, but only if all premium players have direct and unconditional access to the results. This would be great if it can be afforded...my guess is that this could not be afforded without charging us one way or the other. I prefer to choose what I get charged for instead of having a blanket increase in prices.

and furthermore...I am not sure how long you have been playing, but if you were playing 3-4 years ago, you cant even begin to compare the rate of development that takes place now, compared to back then. I have been playing a bit over a year and a half and I remember well pre 1.0...I am not saying in any way that progress and improvements haven't been made. This has nothing to do with that.

Personally, I don't want Wurm to become a "skyscraper" .... there are lots of "skyscrapers" out there in the MMO world, and personally I play Wurm because it is not one !   No one is talking about a skyscraper...at all. Different building styles are just that...different building styles.

OH seriously....you are now quoting Sony as the pillar of how a MMO should be?   I have one acronym for you....SWG !       If you have no familiarity with it, I suggest you do some research, I have played MMOs for decades.

Oh and if you are so in love with Ever Quest....I suggest you go play it,  cause if the people that have played Wurm for years wanted to play a Sony game,  they would do so.

People don't play Wurm to be cookie cutter models of the big mass appeal , dumbed down games that are out there, they play it because it is different from the rest...change that and all you have is another copy-cat game that will cease to exist within a year of the change.

• Like 1

Seriously, so now you are talking about "themes" ??   I thought this was a open ended sandbox game?? themed I guess is a good way to put it. reread the original post though..I think your reading way too much into it overall. Having different styles of building to build is what the post is about.....if you want to call them themes.....call them themes...

And really how can you restrict building styles of one type to deserts, and another type to forests,  when players can terra form the very nature of tiles...they can change forest to desert at will....

By saying in code once you plop your deed down on a given tile type you auto limit your construction options...easy enough...but I think you failed to read further....."or some variation on that base concept" I honestly could care less if they did or did not address it but I do know that lots of people have issues with it. Its an easy fix conceptually.

I also stated that "during deed setup pick a particular culture pack thereby limiting items built on the deed to that particular cultures item pack. Some items could be across the board..such as plants, animals, statues...but when it comes to big major items such as buildings, walls towers...those could be limited to the chosen culture pack."

And yet you just finished saying in the previous sentence:  "visual consistency is a matter of opinion and I don't think anyone's version of it should reign supreme", Exactly - why do you see this an issue when compared against choosing a style of building? It allows each individual player to choose what they would like to build while remaining in line with the rest of the major building mechanics.....why cant we build an open walkway /doorway withoutn the plan being there on a 1 floor building? because people will build floating houses and such....this has already been limited in game so these things fall right in line with the rest of it.

but in the next paragraph you start talking about limiting these "culture packs" to certain terrain types....that's one way...certainly not the only way..its an off the cuff response...honestly I just don't care what anyone builds...however there are many that do...and given the way it was handled in 1.0 there would be restrictions out in place regardless of mine, yours or anyone elses opinion, to affect visual consistency. How they do it or even if they do it...I just don't care.

What you are talking about is changing the fundamental core Sandbox values of Wurm itself...I think you really need to re-examine what road you are trying to take us down here.....this is a bit on the melodramatic side and a bit over exaggerated don't you think. Having a castle that looks like a Moorish castle instead of a northern European castle instead of an Arabic castle instead of a Japanese castle doesn't change anything fundamental about Wurm. It expands potential and creativity and will certainly reach a wider audience that have differing ideas of what Wurm should be like.

Edited by sunsvortex

OH seriously....you are now quoting Sony as the pillar of how a MMO should be? No not at all...they are however very successful in MMO's ...personally I cant stand SONY...but a good idea is a good idea..doesn't matter where it comes from.  

I have one acronym for you....SWG !       If you have no familiarity with it, I suggest you do some research, I have played MMOs for decades. Good for you???

Oh and if you are so in love with Ever Quest....I suggest you go play it,  cause if the people that have played Wurm for years wanted to play a Sony game,  they would do so. A lot of them do

People don't play Wurm to be cookie cutter models of the big mass appeal , dumbed down games that are out there, they play it because it is different from the rest...change that and all you have is another copy-cat game that will cease to exist within a year of the change. How is adding other building styles dumbing anything down or making it  a cookie cutter game?

What you are talking about is changing the fundamental core Sandbox values of Wurm itself...I think you really need to re-examine what road you are trying to take us down here.....this is a bit on the melodramatic side and a bit over exaggerated don't you think. Having a castle that looks like a Moorish castle instead of a northern European castle instead of an Arabic castle instead of a Japanese castle doesn't change anything fundamental about Wurm. It expands potential and creativity and will certainly reach a wider audience that have differing ideas of what Wurm should be like.

I support different architectural styles , you  misinterpreted what I said...

What I was referring to , is your funding model and your "theme park" ideas would be changing the core of the game..  NOT the addition of different culture style buildings... I support that addition of any and all new building types,  just not at the expense of what makes Wurm different and unique !

OH seriously....you are now quoting Sony as the pillar of how a MMO should be? No not at all...they are however very successful in MMO's ...personally I cant stand SONY...but a good idea is a good idea..doesn't matter where it comes from.  

I have one acronym for you....SWG !       If you have no familiarity with it, I suggest you do some research, I have played MMOs for decades. Good for you???

Oh and if you are so in love with Ever Quest....I suggest you go play it,  cause if the people that have played Wurm for years wanted to play a Sony game,  they would do so. A lot of them do

People don't play Wurm to be cookie cutter models of the big mass appeal , dumbed down games that are out there, they play it because it is different from the rest...change that and all you have is another copy-cat game that will cease to exist within a year of the change. How is adding other building styles dumbing anything down or making it  a cookie cutter game?

You seem to have a talent for trying to twist people's comments and injecting your own meaning into them !  Once again, its not the adding of building styles ( I can put this in bold letters if it helps you ! ) its the funding model and the theme park idea you seem to like proposing!

AND...you seem to define success in a MMO because SONY is doing it...by that reasoning whatever makes the most sales is where Wurm should be going....why don't you just copy Blizzard's WOW, they have had millions of subscribers...  *shudders*...

Edited by Thorin