Sign in to follow this  
Sir Arowhun

Supercluster

I know this doesn't seem that possible, but this is the best that I think the pvp world of Wurm could be.

Basically, make it one massive server, maybe 10x the size of Independence. People first spawning in should be labeled as "outlanders". Outlanders can form towns and alliances, but are not really in any kingdom. It should be possible for "outlanders" to form a kingdom by buying a declaration of independence from a trader. Instead of having a CR bonus, the king would act as a ruler for the kingdom and decide who is allowed in and who isn't. Alliance leaders in each kingdom will act sort of like nobles. If some alliances in a kingdom are unhappy with the king, they can start a civil war to get a new one. It should also be possible for outlanders to become Blacklighters and join a group of HOTS, however all of the HOTS groups might not be allied with each other.

Instead of having tiny steppes and deserts that are scattered about, I think there could be 2-3 huge steppes and deserts that are the size of Independence or larger. The entire northern coast of the map could be covered with tundra. There could be a massive marshland in one corner of the map that rolls in and out of the water. It should be impossible for people to change an environment by planting trees or moving sand, because it should automatically go back to the state that it naturally is in. There could be huge mountain ranges, and several huge seas so that boats are not irrelevant. Ore spots could be made larger and less frequent, but iron should be present everywhere.

I know this idea sounds crazy right now, but maybe if Wurm got a lot more players it could be possible.

Edited by Sir Arowhun
  • Like 2

I'm sure that if it was technically feasible to have such massive servers with today's player count, we'd have it already. Correct me if I'm talking gibberish here, but to my knowledge the earlier maps were pretty huge, but over time the maps have gotten smaller for performance reasons?

I'm sure that if it was technically feasible to have such massive servers with today's player count, we'd have it already. Correct me if I'm talking gibberish here, but to my knowledge the earlier maps were pretty huge, but over time the maps have gotten smaller for performance reasons?

Yes that's exactly why. If you notice, Independence is 4x the size of the other freedom servers, but yet it only has 2x the amount of people. The developers would defiantly have to do a lot of work to make something like this possible, but its not impossible.

Edited by Sir Arowhun

That would be pretty awesome, but as it is, travelling takes a very long time. Then again, it would be some adventure going from the northern tundra all the way down to say the southern desert.

If it were possible and feasible, you could place that as a huge landmass, with the current servers being islands around it.

• Like 1

wouldnt that just be a massive waste? a server 10 times the size of independence for what,half the population independence has?

• Like 1

Server hamsters are dying everywhere at the mere thought of this..  Like you said though, the game would need a massive influx of new blood along with some serious dev time to even think of making this viable.

Massive tundras, steppes, marsh and deserts the size of whole servers completely incapable of being changed to other tile types? That essentially means they cannot be usefully deeded. Therefore, you have entire server-sized tracts of land earning little money really, and just being something to pass through on your way to other places.

Massive tundras, steppes, marsh and deserts the size of whole servers completely incapable of being changed to other tile types? That essentially means they cannot be usefully deeded. Therefore, you have entire server-sized tracts of land earning little money really, and just being something to pass through on your way to other places.

The idea is that these biomes could be improved with new tree types, and other things to make living in these places possible. Maybe it could be possible to grow trees in steppe, but you have to maintain them by replanting or something like that. People could also use bones to make tools in certain areas.

Basically, make it one massive server, maybe 10x the size of Independence. 

Then there was a massive explosion in the hosting center.

There is no way how java could get programmed in a way that it could handle so many actions which are happening on such a huge map.

The idea itself sounds like fun and survival and isn't bad but simply not possible.

Then there was a massive explosion in the hosting center.

There is no way how java could get programmed in a way that it could handle so many actions which are happening on such a huge map.

The idea itself sounds like fun and survival and isn't bad but simply not possible.

Eh, if Rolf found a way to spread it out across multiple servers it might be possible.

Edited by Sir Arowhun

Add ways to spawn tundra along with the steepe and sand we already have and make existing servers this way perhaps, not sure buying into yet another new server with a gimmick.

Eh, if Rolf found a way to spread it out across multiple servers it might be possible.

Sounds vaguely familiar...

Haha, what about a super server shaped like Earth? With terrain and such in appropriate places. 

I would like to retract my idea. I just, in 30 seconds, realized how horrible that would be. Not just performance wise, but in terms of inspiring griefing and such. 

If server boarders were a thing that was only technical, and server transition was handled so well we never noticed crossing them, AND the servers were connected N/S and E/W ~~ then it would feel like a real world supercluster thing anyways. Just sayin'.

• Like 3

If server boarders were a thing that was only technical, and server transition was handled so well we never noticed crossing them, AND the servers were connected N/S and E/W ~~ then it would feel like a real world supercluster thing anyways. Just sayin'.

I would love to see this, and make it so as i sail away from land i can see the next land as it appears on the horizon

• Like 1

My concern was about the client, you know that wurm is very hardware costly.

But you need knowlegde about the engine to make sure.

However, really like this idea!

Edited by Sklo:D

Nah Im pretty sure there's too many server overhead issues. For example when Epic was launched Rolf made the maps smaller than Chaos and Indie. Not to mention the newer maps added to Freedom cluster.

ROFL..isnt that exactly what epic is now..?

ROFL..isnt that exactly what epic is now..?

I mean seemlessly, so its all one big continent. This is just an idea, and I don't think it will be possible anytime soon.