At this point foraging and botanizing is way better in getting decent food components (as well as cotton and wemp) than farming it until very high level.

While "sniffing" for food i managed to get 98,98 ql pumpkin (twice). few 50ql cottons, same with wemp. And a lot of 30-50ql of other food.

Harvesting trees, gets random ql from 1 to 99. Same as butchering and fishing. 

Only Farming, Woodcutting and Mining  as well as Digging yeld QL is capped by the skill. (and cooking but actually its easy to "fail" while cooking)

So my suggestion is to  revert  minig / woodcutting / farming. to a situation when your skill determines  more or less minimum QL instead of maximum.

Reason  :

Lets see. even unskilled woodcutter can cut down good ql tree.. even chopping up wont damage it much, unless its saboteur woodcutter.  It might take longer on low skill but still, chances of "spoiling" it are rather limited.

Same with mining. No matter how dumb you are, you cant make iron ore worse, unless you are purposly damage it with corrosive stuff. Same with rochshards. Rock is rock... ql should be equivalent to prestet QL level of a tile. (of course it could be determined fork (80-90). 

Farming... yes its more bit complex. But still you should be able to get stuff higher than your actual skill, even me, pretty non farmer in RL i managed to get decent corn in my yard

It's a game, not a real life simulation is all I have to say to that. There has to be a benefit other than a slight speed increase in gathering times between skill levels. The whole game of Wurm revolves around item quality. The reason everyone raises most skills is so they can create higher quality items.

Big -1.

Also, farming is a lot better than foraging/botanizing from even 20 skill if you're looking to do more than just feed yourself and make basic items. Farming does work the way you want it to. It raises the minimum (and max, as they are the same) quality of the item you are farming to your farm skill.

Edited by Outlaw

"So my suggestion is to  revert  minig / woodcutting / farming. to a situation when your skill determines  more or less minimum QL instead of maximum."

You are hilarious. This is a skill-based game, this is how it has worked for 10 years now, it is not called revert, its called ###### up and destroy the game.

Edit: automatic censoring is hilarious too, since these words are deemed appropriate in game chats.

Edited by Wulfgar

Well yes, skills like blacksmithing cooking, caprentry, ale dependant on manual skills of a person. But, how can you  make "rotten and shivered" logs from healthy tree?

No way  you can do it, even You. 

Actually i found 70ql blueberry as well as 40ql pumpkin, 1,3kg caserole of decent QL.

Reaching 70ql stuff from farming would take a while. Moreover you have to wait few days, to get ripe crops. When you forage you get it straight away. Of course its pretty random, as there should be balance.. but having 10x10 field of  crops and same space to forage and botanize, you will get more from botanizing and foraging than from farming, altough  random stuff, thats true, but often better QL than you will farm for a while. 

Minimal growth time for crops is 3 days. Max is 6 Average is 5days(rounded up). While have a bit of luck,  you can "forage" same space 5 times, and botanize it 5 times. So.. aprox yeld from same space is bit higher than even 90lvl of farming (7 crops per tile). But lets face it.  F2P player will get aprox 1000 items from botanizing and foraging altogeder. (assuming that every tile is ready to "sniff through). F2p farmer will get max 300 items from farming, yet with capped QL.  Doesen't ring you a bell ? Of course farming is usefull to bulk production of stuff. (Cotton Wemp, Pumpkins)

Edit.

It is said that high level of Foraging and botanize allows you to harvest more than one thing at once.

Edited by Freelance

Edit: automatic censoring is hilarious too, since these words are deemed appropriate in game chats.

Probably because "censor bad language" client settings replaces them with periods ;)

But, how can you  make "rotten and shivered" logs from healthy tree?

Because I don't draw a line between the real world and a game mechanic. Then again I rarely get below 50ql trees with 91 woodcutting either.

It is working perfectly now, when I need low ql logs for grinding coal-making I can grab my 1QL hatchet, and when I need high QL for improving, I grab my 90QL hatchet.

Farming itself gives a way of getting a steady ql of item, which you can not do via foraging / botanising and skilling farming raises that steady ql.

Not even going to go into the other points .............................

Farming itself gives a way of getting a steady ql of item, which you can not do via foraging / botanising and skilling farming raises that steady ql.

Not even going to go into the other points .............................

USE BSB :)  after all i got some time ago 36ql cotton (18kg) used "equaled' QL

Its beyond ability of F2P but one way or another i plan to support game soon

USE BSB :)  after all i got some time ago 36ql cotton (18kg) used "equaled' QL

Its beyond ability of F2P but one way or another i plan to support game soon

BSB / FSB will not give a constant high ql of items, as they average the ql of all items placed into it.

Farming gives a solid steady stream of high ql ( = to skill lvl ) items that you simply can't get from foraging.

I would rather tend fields once a day and get 6-7 70ql items per field after 3 or 4 days while doing other stuff, than forage / bot 6hrs a day to try and get the same amount of high ql items of the same type.

Edited by Kediec

If everyone would be able to get high QL resources like logs and ores if he/she just chopped or mined enough then sooner or later all the forests and veins would be cleared and the lower QL remains would litter the former places.