Sign in to follow this  
sunsvortex

Sony And Minecraft?

So it seems SONY and Minecraft have went into some sort of a partenership with EQNext Landmark. It seems Landmark will be a FTP advanced Minecraft game that SONY will use to allow the community to build content for themselves as well as possibly for their games. Now obviously its SONY....and everything they say should be taken with very large grains of salt...however...it looks like they have been taking notes about whats been successful over the past few years in the MMO arena and started swiping ideas.

Heres the article - http://www.polygon.com/2013/8/2/4582742/everquest-next-landmark-sony-online-entertainment

Some interesting snippets from the article

"An Earth Wizard can raise a stone wall and monsters have to path around it, or you can make a hole and pepper them with fire," he said. "Lots of characters' abilities do different types of deformation. Catapults can chew away at terrain."

As players tear away at the surface of the planet they'll be able to explore deep into the land's bedrock.

But where EverQuest Next is a story-driven experience, Landmark is an experience that, like Minecraft, is driven by creation.

comparison of Minecraft objects and Landmark Objects - its easy to tell which is which

ZahBN8t.jpg

As with Minecraft, players will have to find resources to use in their creations. Players can also find pre-built items spread across the worlds which they can take back to their land. They'll also find recipes and templates that can be used for creating items on specific sorts of crafting tables located in certain hubs in the world.

Players can sell their creations to one another for real money for use, if appropriate, in either or both games. Players can also sell particularly good creations to Sony Online Entertainment for an "appropriate" fee.

"If we get one million people playing Landmark," Georgeson said, "and ten percent start making things, and ten percent of those finish and ten percent of that isn't crap, that's still a thousand people making cool stuff. And we don't have 1,000 people on the development team."

If this all lives up to the hype...or for that matter comes even close to it....im curious to the future of WURM.

Well this might be the thing they are working on for the "Everquest Next" game they say it will have the building aspect in it. 

https://www.everquestnext.com/

Here is quote from the q&a over there..

b0NmvOx.jpg

Edited by Kegan

it is..its a separate game..but the content built by the players will or can be used in EQ Next.

I still don't think they will get even close to what wurm offers but i will check it out for sure. 

Ah the usual hype and wishful thinking that precedes seeing the actual freaking game. :P

*sigh this sounds so good....but many games have sounded so good...and then they lacked on other essential stuff...were made full and consequenceless pvp or they are so full of fundamental bugs that it makes no fun anymore OR its all instanced(whicht akes immersion too) or characters look like ###### :P or animations are shitty or stuff just dont fit together o.o ....and so on...or stuff like predefined classes >.>

I don't believe a fraction of the goals will reach fruition. :unsure:

• Like 1

Voxels weren't invented by Minecraft.

The game looks interesting though.

• Like 1

Real cash trading for in-game items/resources... Look at how well that went in Diablo 3...

The only 2 games I've ever seen run well that have a real cash economy is Wurm and Entropia Universe (Second Life wasn't great, but it handled real money pretty well) and that's because they are linked to real money on a fundamental level, not just buying microtransaction type items.

Soe did a good job with SWG and I've played EQ for more time than I care to recall, I'm not sure how you could compare EQN to Wurm since things in EQN wont take a fraction of the time, which in some ways may not be a bad thing, as for the rest time will tell what are planned features and what are actual features, the same as it is in Wurm .... bridges anyone?

Wow this is a really great idea. Maybe not this game but you can expect where this will go, sandbox games will get on the top. Every online game with a quest system or story system only will die...

Edited by Sklo:D

If Sony and friends can actually pull this off and graft a theme park's initial content and strengths to a foundational Sandbox model which would solve the biggest endgame conundrum by players making their own content and there for no longer consuming developer content 300x faster then it can be made long term which is expensive.  It could be....Revolutionary 

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/08/02/everquest-next-is-real-and-its-amazing

It looks too easy to destroy terrain, so the game world could eventually just be a massive crater.

I won't lie - I'm insanely excited about EQNext and EQNext Landmark. I hope they are successful.

Edited by Moxie
  • Like 1

lmao they are copying Second Life,  that game does just this, players create everything ingame and sell it for lindens, which u can sell lindens on the marketplace for Rl cash, and theres a lot of players in that game that pull 1000 usd + a month from it. This is not something new. They are simply coping from another game. lmao

Except if you play SL you have to put up with furries and other wretchedness.

I hope they have nice anti-dong construction algorithms in place. :ph34r:

lmao they are copying Second Life,  that game does just this, players create everything ingame and sell it for lindens, which u can sell lindens on the marketplace for Rl cash, and theres a lot of players in that game that pull 1000 usd + a month from it. This is not something new. They are simply coping from another game. lmao

except that they dont want players to include own probably ugly 3d models but only living grounds to sell

Real cash trading for in-game items/resources... Look at how well that went in Diablo 3...

The only 2 games I've ever seen run well that have a real cash economy is Wurm and Entropia Universe (Second Life wasn't great, but it handled real money pretty well) and that's because they are linked to real money on a fundamental level, not just buying microtransaction type items.

Actually, no other game handles real money better than Second Life, the range of things you can do in order to spend or earn money, and the willingness of the community to spend money is equal to no other game that I can think of.  (But then again it hardly qualifies as a game itself).

Minecraft didnt invented voxels, but AFTER minecrafts success, a gazillion games with similar gameplay or visuals spawned, and like it or not, this game will exist, only because it has minecraft as a precedent. 

@Elen, there is no anti-dong system that cannot be bypassed, such is the nature of mankind, to spawn dongs everywhere.

I can only assume the game will be heavily instanced, as previously mentioned, the terrain looks super easy to destroy.

Either that or terrain must just "fix" itself almost instantly after being destroyed. (Which looks kinda dumb)

I really hope they can pull it off...it just seems too much to get right though.

• Like 1