Sign in to follow this  
Freelance

Few Pottery Ideas.

Large & Medium flower pots

Usage

Medium - bon sai trees - mini versions of trees need to be tended to look good.

Large - Fruit trees in a house. Yes, i know what i wrote. I remember that in my kindergarden we had a  lemon tree in the "classroom" and it even got fruits.

Pottery oven + bed.

Usage

Cooking and sleeping. 

Info - till the end of II world war, many pesant homes had, beds on the oven especially in the central europe and further east.. It was special construcion, that allows to use heat from the oven to praveil harsh winter / fall conditions. 

Amphoras - (i bet it was mentioned before). - 

Usage - to keep wine and olive. - this would add immersion. Since we can make columns so we can have more mediterrenian style liquid containers. 

Tiles (Wall tiles)

Usage - 

To decorate internal walls of stone buildings. Need clay or mortar to attach to the wall. QL of a file should determine the overall quality of a picture. Better pottery skill more atractive picture. It can be chosen from few  patterns like shopsigns and banners. Or using dyes we could change color of the tile, and have option to choose chess pattern or lines vertical and horizontal. Possible "colored" options 

Half on half (need 10 red tiles and 10 blue per wall) -sub option chess pattern.

Stripes

1 - 2 red tiles 18 blue (colors are just example, it could be 2 red and 18 uncolored) 

2 - 4 red 16 blue

3 - 6 + 14

and so on.

Glazed pottery products.

Info- 

Adding sand glaze maby with lye ? to all pottery products.

Efect 

"durability"  of  a finished stuff is increased by 10-20%. and visual effect.

Decay rate of food and liquids decreased by 50-70%.

Pottery lamps.

Crude lamp  pottery flask + oil/tar/animal fat. +  cotton  string or bowstring. Light radiuous - QL/10

Light duration 10-20 mins per QL

Lamp - decorative version, rest is the same. Amounts of clay should be determined yet.

! Crude lamp could be used as a weapon. When you throw lit crude lamp you have 70% chance to inflict burns equal to lamp ql  additionaly you have chances to inflict burn in neighbouring tiles equal to lamp ql. Damage is reduced at least by 50%

Similar possibility  should be made with pottery flasks and lye (since its a caustic substance, it should make acid wounds). To be precise it shoud bypass most of animal "armor" Of course high end creatures like trolls dragons, hell hounds / hell horses/  hell scorpions/ lava spiders and lava fiends should be restistant to fire.

Spiders / goblins / scorpions / should be resistant to acid.

I belive it will add a depth to game and combat itself. 

Moreover it would increase or to be honest, make pottery skill useful, and make market for such products.  

Pottery figures - 

Purely decorative. 

Pottery whistle / flute 

Music making - increasing game depth. 

Urns 

Usage - as gravestones. decorative / informative.

---Curiosity---

Pottery sicle & knife -

According to the archeology book,  very first sickle was made of finely crafted clay and fired to pottery state. Not as durable as iron or metal one, but still functional. In terms of wurmlogic it cant be repaired.

Similar could be done to butchering knife.  --> Additional method for crude tools. 

Pottery jewellery -

Finely crafted, fragile pottery trinket.

• Like 1

I would not be opposed to more uses of pottery so long as mortar can be left to a minimum. that stuff is no fun at all... +1 Urns, flower pots, and lamps at the very least. Not sure about the bed-oven but a pottery oven sounds cool.

Ok  I couldynt find  photo example of bed+oven, but, i bleive this should give all oy ya a rough idea. 1280px-Widno_piec_chlebowy_bok_04.07.10_At  very flat top you can put some furs and sheets of course this in not  best suited model but would do.

Pottery sections of pipe that can be buried per tile to "move" water from a well spring to another tile.

• Like 1

+1 to decorative bonsai trees

+1 to indoor fruit trees if the graphic is small enough to fit under next-storey floor, and do not crop unless tree tile variety gives multiple fruits, in which case limit it to one fruit for a potted tree. Smaller specimens mean smaller yield.

+0 Pottery oven-bed to be deferred as an item until cold factor has been established in game and parameters are known.

+1 Pottery oven, perhaps even a pottery kiln.

+1 Amphoras as large capacity pottery liquid containers

+1 Coloured tiles in stock-pattern arrangements. Perhaps as floor mosaics since there's yet to be any capability to fix things to walls.

+1 Glazed pottery items

+1 Pottery lamp light-source. Hold off on the molotov cocktails until we've covered portcullises, murder holes and boiling oil.

+1 Decorative figures

+1 Music making (practise to play stock pieces at various skill levels), but pipes and whistles might be better as reed instruments

+1 Urns

+0 Crude pottery tools. I'd prefer to see flint used to make non-iron cutting tools. Flint-knapping could include arrowheads

+1 Pottery jewellery

Edited for spelling

Edited by Drayka

Ceramic knives are actually brilliant, my girlfriend is a chef and ceramic blade knives are hundreds of dollars, they're A LOT sharper than metal ones and stay that way virtually forever.

All in all a really nice set of ideas.

I'm not convinced an oven bed is especially useful, and unless other instruments are added too, I don't see something like the whistle getting added, but decoration like pottery figures (could even be based on the metal stauettes etc), plant pots for trees, lamps etc would be cool.

Personally something I'd love to see (and the suggestion was one of my first posts in these forums all those years ago) would be the ability to plant herbs in pots and harvest them like sprouts. Would make it easier for newer players to have a more regular source of high potency healing covers and the like.

Aye similar item as the current flowerpots, except once in a while you can harvest from them with a sickle. Once a day?

+1 to decorative bonsai trees

+1 to indoor fruit trees if the graphic is small enough to fit under next-storey floor, and do not crop unless tree tile variety gives multiple fruits, in which case limit it to one fruit for a potted tree. Smaller specimens mean smaller yield.

+0 Pottery oven-bed to be deferred as an item until cold factor has been established in game and parameters are known.

+1 Pottery oven, perhaps even a pottery kiln.

+1 Amphoras as large capacity pottery liquid containers

+1 Coloured tiles in stock-pattern arrangements. Perhaps as floor mosaics since there's yet to be any capability to fix things to walls.

+1 Glazed pottery items

+1 Pottery lamp light-source. Hold off on the molotov cocktails until we've covered portcullises, murder holes and boiling oil.

Why...  since we have "throwing" system implemented, but its pretty useless at the moment, my best achived throw dmg on pig is .. 1,52dmg. with 18ql spear. Moreover this would give  noobs, any chance aganist monster better than wildcat.

Curiosity -  i fought 22 bears, 3 trolls, 4 crocs, 50 mountain lions (only last 4 of them i killed myself) 13 wolves,  72 spiders... and yet therefore only 9  wildcats. (them i killed all of them myself) So yes noobs desperatly need weapon that gives em a chance.

+1 Decorative figures

+1 Music making (practise to play stock pieces at various skill levels), but pipes and whistles might be better as reed instruments

+1 Urns

+0 Crude pottery tools. I'd prefer to see flint used to make non-iron cutting tools. Flint-knapping could include arrowheads

+1 Pottery jewellery

Edited for spelling

Edited by Freelance

Why...  since we have "throwing" system implemented, but its pretty useless at the moment, my best achived throw dmg on pig is .. 1,52dmg. with 18ql spear. Moreover this would give  noobs, any chance aganist monster better than wildcat.

Curiosity -  i fought 22 bears, 3 trolls, 4 crocs, 50 mountain lions (only last 4 of them i killed myself) 13 wolves,  72 spiders... and yet therefore only 9  wildcats. (them i killed all of them myself) So yes noobs desperatly need weapon that gives em a chance.

I'm not against it, I said hold off on it. I was thinking about what's likely to get programmed first and why.

Most of these suggestions are aimed at Freedom servers, and I only play on Freedom myself, but the Devs have to think about Epic and Wilds too.

I don't see the ability to throw lit oil jars (lamps) at wildlife as being a high priority for development when we haven't got things that historically would be considered the precursors to that and are possibly far more important in PvP.

Now granted, these would be used on PvP too.

It was merely my opinion that the equip to throw option was less important than getting some more items in the game which could later have the code added for extra functionality.

When I first read it, my impression was that with a planned overhaul to fighting in the offing, new offensive weapons and the code to govern the damage they caused would take a back-seat over perfecting the existing weapons within the new system. So good, but be prepared to be patient.

I'm not against it, I said hold off on it. I was thinking about what's likely to get programmed first and why.

Most of these suggestions are aimed at Freedom servers, and I only play on Freedom myself, but the Devs have to think about Epic and Wilds too.

I don't see the ability to throw lit oil jars (lamps) at wildlife as being a high priority for development when we haven't got things that historically would be considered the precursors to that and are possibly far more important in PvP.

Now granted, these would be used on PvP too.

It was merely my opinion that the equip to throw option was less important than getting some more items in the game which could later have the code added for extra functionality.

When I first read it, my impression was that with a planned overhaul to fighting in the offing, new offensive weapons and the code to govern the damage they caused would take a back-seat over perfecting the existing weapons within the new system. So good, but be prepared to be patient.

Overhaul.. sure why not. I did little research... and using 20ql bow and 20ql arrows, with 13s timer i get... 2,5-3,0 dmg... but using 20ql spear, with timer of 4s i did 7dmg per hit.  Morover using "fire and acid" pots wont be so "easy" as it would have AOE damage. Maby stealth skill can be used after all ;)

Pottery sections of pipe that can be buried per tile to "move" water from a well spring to another tile.

genious

genious

As for pipe sections, we should have ponds or reserviours to let the water flow like in fountain ;) (grapihical effect). 

Additional idea.

1 Fountains should be connected to well to gather water. 

2 Pottery clay roof pipes. (or maby even copper) to bring down water from roof to barrel / reservoir / fountain 

3 Pottery pipes can be used then in farming tiles having 3 tiles effect (one where pipe runs, and othed adject tiles, maby even dependant on ql. 0-20 ql one tile - middle one, 20-60 three tiles  60+ 5 tiles (one middle and 2 on each side).

4 Pottery reservoir - shoud have 5x5 , 9x9 13x13 tiles  effect. 

Watering efect :

Yeld increased by 50% with pure water, or doubled with fertilizer. 

Ability to put fertilizer in reservior unit or straight on field.

genious

Bah, annoying forums don't quote quotes...

Anyway, yes, the underground pipework suggestion has been around for a while as a suggestion for either pottery or lead. I'd rather see it for lead as I think pottery has far more potential for variety for expansion, while lead it more limited in its use.

Ceramic knives are actually brilliant, my girlfriend is a chef and ceramic blade knives are hundreds of dollars, they're A LOT sharper than metal ones and stay that way virtually forever.

Those are not knives you can make out of clay. Remeber that ceramic does not always mean clay.

From wikipedia (two different articles):

A ceramic is an inorganic, nonmetallic solid prepared by the action of heat and subsequent cooling. Ceramic materials may have a crystalline or partly crystalline structure, or may be amorphous (e.g., a glass).

A ceramic knife is a knife made out of very hard and tough ceramic, often zirconium dioxide (ZrO2; also known as zirconia). These knives are usually produced by dry pressing zirconia powder and firing them through solid-state sintering. The resultant blade is sharpened by grinding the edges with a diamond-dust-coated grinding wheel. Zirconia ranks 8.5 on the Mohs scale of mineral hardness, compared to 7.5 to 8 for hardened steel, and 10 for diamond. This very hard edge rarely needs sharpening.

TL;DR ~ Wurm clay knife would be very primative, not like a modern ceramic blade.

Edited by Elen

Those are not knives you can make out of clay. Remeber that ceramic does not always mean clay.

From wikipedia (two different articles):

A ceramic is an inorganic, nonmetallic solid prepared by the action of heat and subsequent cooling. Ceramic materials may have a crystalline or partly crystalline structure, or may be amorphous (e.g., a glass).

A ceramic knife is a knife made out of very hard and tough ceramic, often zirconium dioxide (ZrO2; also known as zirconia). These knives are usually produced by dry pressing zirconia powder and firing them through solid-state sintering. The resultant blade is sharpened by grinding the edges with a diamond-dust-coated grinding wheel. Zirconia ranks 8.5 on the Mohs scale of mineral hardness, compared to 7.5 to 8 for hardened steel, and 10 for diamond. This very hard edge rarely needs sharpening.

TL;DR ~ Wurm clay knife would be very primative, not like a modern ceramic blade.

As i was brutally shown on my other posts :) there is no straight line between RL and Wurm,  so pottery / ceramic knives would do :D

As i was brutally shown on my other posts :) there is no straight line between RL and Wurm,  so pottery / ceramic knives would do :D

Having them would of course be fine (and accurate). I'm just saying, not harder than steel. ;)

-1 to flutes! People could then play copyrighted Music and that could put Mojhang in a bad situation.