Sign in to follow this  
Iola

Running Out Of Fatigue

Hello. It's the second time I run into this problem: I run out of fatigue as I play. There are people, who have a lot of time on their hands. Like disabled people or people on vacations with bad weather over their country and having nothing else to do than to play the game. So I can't really call it a nice method of anti-macroing since it limits play time for people. First time I didn't care about it that much since my vacation was at an end, but right now it is really irritating me, because I know that there is a whole week ahead and I won't be able to play the game in full. I really hope you will find a better alternative way of anti-macroing than fatigue.

• Like 2

umm  theres poeple on for 18hours a day and dont have any issues

There's a difference between being on for 18 hours and grinding for 18 hours

• Like 1

Just do a bit of different stuff, 2 hours of mining, 2 hours of praying, 2 hours.... just switch every now and then.

Even browsing youtube for 15 minutes while letting your wurm-chars catch their breath helps.

I mined 20 tiles in about 5hours today with my priest (while adding shipparts on my main), sometimes he didnt mine for around 5 minutes because I was busy on my main. He even got "you feel rested" in the event window after 4 hours of semi slow mining, so no probs with fatigue.

But if you wanna do everything fast and for a very long time, yep, fatigue will drain eventually :s

Although it's not a bug, but it's still an issue ... what am I supposed to do now? I can't play while I have nothing else to do ...

But if you wanna do everything fast and for a very long time, yep, fatigue will drain eventually :s

Exactly ... i hate wasting time and do many things at once. Like watching youtube while playing. I believe many players do that :)

Well what developer(-s) are waiting from us is something constructive. Too bad, but I can't really suggest any good anti-macroing mechanism right now, but if I have any ideas, I'll definitely tell you.

or make an alt and use it

Edited by Deth666

There are activities fatigue doesn't impact; however, Im not sure offhand which ones are and are not.

As someone who has hit fatigue over a dozen times, probably closer to a score of times, I agree this should be removed and other antimacro measures taken into account. As someone who sleeps very little, it's extremely easy for me to hit fatigue cap on a saturday, have done it jewelrysmithing, leatherworking and chainsmithing, not just high fatigue actions like mining. Another way to do it would be for GMs to be able to tag people for exemption, if they are worried about macros they could allow a player to be exempt from the fatigue system if they are a notoriously hard grinder (I'm aware they can already do this, as a GM wizkill of a toon resets their fatigue).

Now there's another problem ...

Every player receives 1 hour of fatigue every 3 hours that pass, regardless of if they are logged in or not. This is added to their pool of available fatigue which has an upper limit of 12 hours.

Should a player exhaust their available pool, no fatiguing tasks can be preformed until the next "tick", which would occur with 2 hours, at which time they are given another hour's worth.

(wiki)

Currently I'm playing for 3 and half hours and used up all the fatigue that accumulated during night (2 hours 58 minutes) ... and did not receive the said 1 hour within that time span. So ... what am I supposed to do right now? Make an alt, pay two times more for premium and spend two times more time to grind skills? Or maybe go hunt trolls, hell hounds, huge spiders and other things that are everywhere and kill me very fast? Too bad rats, cats and wolves are so rare, otherwise I would consider doing that. Currently I'm really feeling like quitting the game just because of that, but nobody will pay back my year premium subscription and all the money spent on the new settlement I planned to build, right?

UPDATE: seems fatigue restoring timer is not exactly 3 hours. I have received that 1 hour, but again ... it's just an hour.

Edited by Iola

Ok then ... I've come up with an idea. You can make a method to replenish the fatigue: when a player runs out of fatigue you can activate some button in the GUI that a player could click. That would open up a dialog with some kind of a question like "how much is eleven times seven" and an input for the player to answer. If the answer is correct the player replenishes some of the fatigue. Surely that kind of a question could be problematic for those who are very bad at English or very young people who can't answer that kind of question, but you can come up with something similar that everyone except macro tools would be able to understand, right?

(I'm aware they can already do this, as a GM wizkill of a toon resets their fatigue).

A GM wizkill most definitely does not reset fatigue.

Personally I've never ran into the fatigue issue, and I've also been worried I played too much.  My point is that fatigue not only prevents macroing, it is a healthy idea to get away from the PC sometimes.  Maybe you need to spend more time doing RL things?  I know, you should not have a game make you do that, but then, you shouldn't sit still so much either.

• Like 3

i've never had problems with fatigue as i get the "you feel rested" msg all the time, and i constantly dig almost non stop... although i do almost every action available during the digging (forage botonize sprouts packing etc)

i dont see how anyone or why anyone would have a problem with this unless they actually were using some form of macro?

my fatigue stays nearly full almost all the time :o whats the deal?

It concerns me that you're considering quitting the game because you can't grind for 18 hours a day solid with no rest. 

That said, if you can't kill trolls and spiders yet, and think that the only option is to do nothing because you can't find rats and "easy" things, I suggest that you 

a. practice on a practice doll some

b. ask someone in your local to take you hunting so that you can get fs

c. get better gear, which really REALLY helps your ability to take things down (a geared horse helps as well)

d. kite things to guards and gather the meat, which you can certainly sell and I can't imagine MOVING takes fatigue. The challenge can be enjoyable.

There are several ways around the problem, which is essentially that you can't do a single monotonous task all day like a robot, they want you to *play* even if you aren't a robot. I don't think that's a terrible thing.

Edited by Cally

Cally, when there is really nothing to do except sitting in front of PC when you want to rest from your daily work in front of that same PC, I think one of best ways to relax is to enjoy some game. And I wasn't really sitting 18 hours every day. I went sometimes to meet up with friends or did some other activities, but that didn't help and still ended up in me hitting the fatigue limit. As of considering quitting - it's just a personal thing. I really like this game from long ago, but what I don't like is when I get restrained from doing something that I should be able to do. I actually hate it and get irritated by that really fast. That is why game that I really like can lose it's appeal in just several seconds. Right now I want that this issue to be resolved. Not necessarily right now, as in a week I won't have that much time to play anyway, but at least in the near future so that next time I get so much free time, I wouldn't be restrained by that same thing again. Besides there are others. And everyone has his/her own play style.

Answering to your suggestions I can say:

a. That was the reason I lost most and last of the fatigue.

b. People have their own plans and won't go hunting every time just because someone asked.

c. Better gear = more skill or money. More skill = grind = fatigue. Money - just don't feel like paying anymore to get just a tiny bit better gear.

d. Tried that ... challenge? Yes. Enjoyable? No. Taking half an hour to find and kill some monster, and as a result get practically nothing (didn't try if butchering even works when you're out of fatigue) is a huge waste of time in my opinion. I better do not play and try to find some other fun in the internet ... though that raises the question again: what did I pay for?

Thanks for suggestions, though :)

Lastly: yes, I would like to play. I do have plans for my settlement, and to do all that I need either to do monotonous work like digging or to get more skill, which again ends up in monotonous grinding. Doing things randomly is just not my style.

1k cooked meat can be sold for 2s and is pretty easy to get if you devote an hour or so to hunting in a desert or low-population area... so I'm not sure what you mean by practically nothing.

Other than that, valid points, but by being concerned for you I literally meant for your health. It's not physically healthy to play Wurm for that long at a time o.o There are definitely other games I've played that warn you you should take a break, heh. 

Edited by Cally

Not sure *anyone* has a right to tell people that they can't play a game if they choose to.

• Like 1

I spoke to Rolf about this a while back, and the Fatigue system isn't just there as an anti macro measure, it is also there to balance accounts and deter grinding.

Having run into it a couple of times ( especially when doing mass mining with an alt), i can understand the frustration your feeling, but after the convo i had with Rolf i can understand the reasons for it being there..

I.E someone making a mining account and account sharing to have it running 24/7 will run out of fatigue fairly quickly, thus stopping that character being leveled on an ultra grind sort of way. It does basically help to keep the gap between casual and really hardcore a little closer than it would otherwise be.

It is meant to stop hardcore grinding , not the "log in and do weaponsmithing for 4hrs " grinding.

As i say, i've run into the fatigue timer, but only twice in 6yrs playing, and at times i play a lot due to health issues. I really don't have a problem with it tbh and as i posted , i can fully understand why Rolf won't change it from how it is currently.

Edited by Kediec