Sign in to follow this  
Eject

Irc Channel For The German Speaking Wurm Comunitie

Dear friends.

As I now got to know a large number of German speaking players, today I have created and registered a chat room for exactly this Comunitie.
I hope you use it extensively and be happy about this idea.

You can activate the IRC InGame in the console in the top menu bar.
Open console, type irc and close the console.
This will open the official chatroom of Wurmonline named #wurm.
In this chat room you write /join #Wurmgerman and you are immediately in our channel.

We tested the room today and has much fun.

Now, if you like it, we are searching for some Chatmoderators.

You should have unaware of Mirc or similar programs, knowing about chanserv and nickserv also time to stay in our new chatroom for some times.

If you like to be our chatmod so pls pm me or answer in this threat.

Have a nice day

Eject

Edited by Eject
  • Like 5

Its really good you guys formed a german comunity, gonna tell my teutonics friends. Best of wishes with this

• Like 1

how to join the #wurmgerman irc chanel:

1. press F1 and type: irc

2. click the server tab and enter: /join #wurmgerman

thats it

same in german:

wie komme ich in den #wurmgerman IRC chat:

1: drücke F1 und gib ein: irc

2: click auf den "Server"-tab und gib ein: /join #wurmgerman

det wars :)

Hiya,

[...] :)

Congratz for this, and my best wishes to you and to your members! Enjoy!

Just lemme explain why I'll not join, even if I'm a native German speaker (OK, it's native Bavarian, but who cares ...).

I don't want to get caged into a "same language" area. What I love most in Wurm is that I'll interact with people from all over the world, even from such places that I didn't know about their existence before. And getting known to ppl from such exotic/ not yet known places is just great, talking about our livings, playing together, having fun together, understanding each other - this is one of the most important benefits I can get in any MMO.

Besides, doing so I improved my English knowledge a lot (not only in Wurm though), and this is worth serious money on the job market. My partner that I drew in "to improve your English" made wast progressions in the English language, and, most important, lost the fear to use the given knowledge by now. In a year and a bit.

While I sympathize with you, and really have nothing but best wishes to you, I'd like to suggest that you ask yourself this question: "Is this really positive?"

I think creating language-specific areas is not. You may create a comfy area for your members, and they may enjoy - it might cater their laziness. But this way they'll segregate themselves from the other players, creating their own little ghetto.

As mentioned, I'm native German myself. But I'd not hide in a language-specific IRC, loosing connections to my friends from all over the world.

In Wurm I'm talking simplified English, that at least any German should be able to read and talk - if not completely brain dead unable to use the knowledge from school. Even 50+ ppl, like me. And, obviously, ppl from nearly all other countries can do, too. This is the language of any international game, and it's what nearly any half ways educated person from everywhere should be able to talk/ read/ write.

Offering a possibility to escape this nuisance might be beneficial for some certain lazy persons, but I'd doubt it would really benefit these persons. IMHO.

Have fun!

Edit: "Brain dead" was inappropriate, I apologize!

Edited by Xandra
  • Like 3

Dear Xandra you are totaly right about the advantages of speaking english in wurm, but at the end of day many people play wurm for fun and not as a language course. Also let me assure you that #wurmgerman is not a "little ghetto" that only exists to fences people off from the english speaking comunity, but a supplement. Its open for everyone and the only diffenrence to the main chat is that we speak german here in the first row, so if anyone from abroad germany needs help for homework or whatever dont hesitate to visit us.

Also i think its not fair to call people who have very little or no english skill as braindead. Of course, many people in germany speak basic english, but not all. During my mmorpg time ive often met players from germany who were not abled of speaking english. To avoid the feeling of exclusion they prefered to have a german comunity on their side. And if #wurmgerman helps to introduce wurm to these players then its defenetly a benefit for all of us. Also im very confident that players with weak english will catch up the basics and maybe even more, even if they visit our irc chat.

Edited by Klinge

Hi Klinge,

Also i think its not fair to call people who have very little or no english skill as braindead.

Perfectly correct. I have edited the post above, and apologize. This shouldn't have happened :/

Of course, many people in germany speak basic english, but not all. During my mmorpg time ive often met players from germany who were not abled of speaking english.

To my knowledge it is impossible in Germany meanwhile to survive even your minimum school time without having to hear extensive English lessons for at least 2 years. Starting when you leave the basic "Grundschule".

So, basically, every young German has had some years of English lessons. And since English is a very easy to learn language, with a rather low number of words you need to know, this is by far enough to get the basic knowledge to speak and understand English, even if it results in a kind of Pidgin.

It's 2 reasons there's young (and older) Germans that are not able to communicate in English, IMHO.

1. Laziness. For sure, it's much more comfortable to communicate in it's own language. Not to have to make any efforts, not to have to think too much, not to have to do something out of the ordinary.
  2. Fear and uncertainness. They think they'll make a fool of themselves, they have no trust into their knowledge, and they have no experience in actually using the language they have learned for this long.

Our schools are often not best suited to teach real communication skills - but they teach the basic knowledge at least. It's up to the individual to find out how to use them, and to get rid of the fear to use their knowledge. And, not last, to get a bit more active, and to defeat the human immanent laziness.

My experience is that playing an English speaking MMO is a great help to achieve this. It's a game, it's recreation, it's fun, and exactly this is the best setting to become comfortable with a "new" language very quickly. Most ppl here speak a "simplified English" in chat, many ppl here are not English natives themselves, there's no problem if somebody doesn't use the correct terms and grammar - it's just common.

I'd say that a MMO like Wurm is a great possibility to "activate" ones "hidden English knowledge" or to learn it rather quickly, thus I'm not advocating language specific forums and channels. But, for sure, to each it's own, so my best wishes to your project from me :)

Have fun!

We have Polish in-game IRC channel, too (#wurmpl), not to mention TS channel and fansite with forum. :rolleyes:

Good to see that other Wurm communities are following this path, good luck! :)

For transactions and short smalltalk is in this game simple english enough in any case, absolutely correct.
For a neat, good conversation, I use my native language better.

Why ?

You'll see immediately !

To my interlocutor not static to involve in trivial and sterile discussions.
That bores permanently not only me but for sure also the others.

Too bad for someone who comes from Germany and forgets the vintages in his enumeration who went to school before the reunification and

did not have the choice of english language. There are many players that are far beyond 30.

Forget not the players their german language slander for fear of discrimination behind a wall of well googled foreign languages.
Not many but still enough.

With false pride is always popular and frequently asserted by these guys "I come from Germany" or "my mother tongue is German" etc.
Preferring equal 2x is mentioned in one sentence.
The best...
when you greets such people in local in their GREAT native language,

then they can not opened the mouth and pretend they do not understand you.
Only in top secret private message... then they can.

I've meet some interresting nice people here, but not many times and I've wished me to just speak better english with these people to exchange permanent and sincere with them.

I think, secrets of country and people do only those on who speak the local language also usually from birth or

for many years live or have lived in this country.
That has with the typical standard MMO babble nothing to do and is not to be compared with it.
As a respect to the other language and because my time is just too precious that I would rather let then.

If one reads some comments here then it's not hard to understand why do some people only "use" any moderate speaking foreign language as an intellectual cosmetic to divert attention from other obvious deficits.
Old familiar but always popular method in every community.

And you can see it ?
My english is for the ass and maybe is good enough for hello, bye, no thanks, i dont know, always straight, ect.

Anything else would be a torturous for english speaking people.

Thanks for the idea with the irc.

We have Polish in-game IRC channel, too (#wurmpl), not to mention TS channel and fansite with forum.