Sign in to follow this  
Tekari

Mining Skillgain Test - Feel Free To Contribute

Personally i found that if you keep the average ql of your ore at 30% of your skill level you get the maximum amount of skill, that is on a vein thats higher than your mining skill, last i checked it does matter whether the vein is capped or not, but that might have changed.

65.21 mining. 35.35QL iron pick, 85 coc, no sleep bonus, 99% nutrition, 79 food. I will mine from full stamina each time, and repair after every single action.

36QL iron vein: [14:07:17] Mining increased by 0.00291 to 65.2152

62QL iron vein: [14:10:11] Mining increased by 0.00291 to 65.2181

88QL iron vein: [14:13:09] Mining increased by 0.00291 to 65.2240

90+QL iron vein: [14:11:13] Mining increased by 0.00291 to 65.2210

Pick remained at 35.35QL for the whole test, only dropping to 35.34 on the final repair after the final action to get the tick on the 88QL vein.

The ticks are irrelevant, try mining gold ore, and then try mining a rock wall with the same pickaxe, you'll get the same skillgain per tick.

C You must be registered with google to view/edit the results page.

Thanks for your input Othob.

But to clarify you don't have to be registered with Google to view and edit the page.

Everyone should be able to.

Thanks for your input Othob.

But to clarify you don't have to be registered with Google to view and edit the page.

Everyone should be able to.

Alright well it made me log in before I could view the page and add my results :/

It did?... mh I check it out. It shouldn't do that.

Oh wait... it might do that if you have a Google account already

It did?... mh I check it out. It shouldn't do that.

Oh wait... it might do that if you have a Google account already

Possibly the cause, I made one ages ago and forgot details to it and I had to make a new one to get past the username and log in page.

Now that it's proven to be linked to the time taken (and not the % of stamina remaining) then this aspect of the possible error is corrected as the recording shows skill over time, not skill over actions (or over % stamina)

Actually, because the action timer is directly linked to your stamina level, stamina remaining when you start the action is a crucial factor in how much tou gain from one action.

The ticks are irrelevant, try mining gold ore, and then try mining a rock wall with the same pickaxe, you'll get the same skillgain per tick.

I was aware (note the link I provided to the wiki that mentions that), I was just responding to a point from Tekari in this thread: http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/83978-skilling-up-mining/

where he stated: "Vein QL is very, very important. I have every ql range of tin and can tell you for certain that it matters.". I figured I'd add the data to this thread too.

your example only showed one tick, Hordern. how many ticks did you check over an hour? that might be the far more important question.

that is why i am so curious about the outcome of Tekaris test.

Exactly, my point was that it doesn't matter how much you get per tick, since its all the same, its how much skill you get per hour.

I'll test the vein ql theory myself to make sure, will post results when im done.

PS : Perhaps not everyone knows this, but its far more accurate to test this using action time instead of real time, you could check that by pressing F4 > interface and looking under ActionClass time.

Edit : Testing done, skill level : 76.6, mined unknown ql (higher than my skill) lead ore for 30 mins of action time, 0.098785 skillgain, average ore ql 30.08

mined 37 ql lead ore for 30 mins of action time, 0.105164 skillgain, average ql 22.00.

mined both in the same fashion, queue 2 actions each time, repaired pickaxe before beginning and after finishing the 30 mins each time, only difference is 1 point lost of coc, and slight pickaxe ql loss.

granted its a small test i think vein ql doesn't matter for skillgain.

Edited by Majorminor
  • Like 2

Edit : Testing done, skill level : 76.6, mined unknown ql (higher than my skill) lead ore for 30 mins of action time, 0.098785 skillgain, average ore ql 30.08

mined 37 ql lead ore for 30 mins of action time, 0.105164 skillgain, average ql 22.00.

mined both in the same fashion, queue 2 actions each time, repaired pickaxe before beginning and after finishing the 30 mins each time, only difference is 1 point lost of coc, and slight pickaxe ql loss.

granted its a small test i think vein ql doesn't matter for skillgain.

Even though this was a short(ish) test, those differences in skill gain over the 30mins of action time seems significant. It is possible that there is that much variation over this many actions, however, I feel there might be something going on here.

your example only showed one tick, Hordern. how many ticks did you check over an hour? that might be the far more important question.

That's still irrelevant, because you still only need to adjust the QL of the pick as with any other vein type etc. so you're getting the max no. of ores between 1 and 40QL. It's the number of those ores that determines how many ticks you'd get over an hour.

I shall test with my 65 skill miner on a 72QL iron and 88QL iron vein and see what the average QL of the pile is that I get from 100 ores - see if there's any statistical difference.

... need to adjust the QL of the pick as with any other vein type etc. so you're getting the max no. of ores between 1 and 40QL. It's the number of those ores that determines how many ticks you'd get over an hour.

i say the same thing, just a different approach. lol, i don't contest you, but please do the test :)

which things and bits affect the difficulty, that is the question and i said with my first post that vein type and vein QL do have an affect on difficulty.

nowhere did i say that it affects the skillgain amount on each single tick :)

I didn't say you did say that :P

I will do the test at some point soon - I need some more mid/low range Iron.

• Like 1

OK, slight change of plan, I can't be bothered to do the 72QL vein because it involves moving to regain stam, so I'm going to do a 62QL vein. This means I'll have to count the no of 1QL ores, >1 to <40QL, and 40QL+ rather than rely on avg QL to be able to do any statistical analysis. I will however find the average QL of the ores mined between 1 and 40.

70.87QL pick with 74 woa, queueing 5 actions, repairing after every 10.

88QL vein =

OK, scratch that, I'm going to have to use a lower QL pick. This one is churning out capped ores.

I can't be bothered with slow mining atm, so I will try again soon ;)

Perhaps my average ql and skillgain theory is an extension of the 1 < ql < 40 rule, it just seems to be that the average ql is 30% of your skill, note that my theory doesn't apply to capped ores.

Actually, because the action timer is directly linked to your stamina level, stamina remaining when you start the action is a crucial factor in how much tou gain from one action.

I don't understand what you are saying? Irrelevant for testing purposes .. it will not effect results .. yes obviously the reason the timer is longer is due to lower stam (No ######), but lower stam will not effect the skill over time as the testing does not include break times for regenerating stamina.. and because skill gained in a tick is proportional to the time it took for the action we can ignore remaining stamina as a variable in our tests ..

Added a run from my miner. Took me a few tries to figure out I had to enter it as 0,37895 rather than 0.37895 lol

I don't understand what you are saying? Irrelevant for testing purposes .. it will not effect results .. yes obviously the reason the timer is longer is due to lower stam (No shit), but lower stam will not effect the skill over time as the testing does not include break times for regenerating stamina.. and because skill gained in a tick is proportional to the time it took for the action we can ignore remaining stamina as a variable in our tests ..

My point was that action timer and stam remaining can in fact be considered one and the same as far as the purposes of skillgain are concerned which wasn't quite the impression you gave me with this line:

Now that it's proven to be linked to the time taken (and not the % of stamina remaining)

However, that could just have been the way I interpreted it.

Thx @ TheUnknown and Lokitia for your data. It's appreciated.

But here's a question to discuss:

Can the data from mining a cave ceiling be taken into account for this test? Since the mining timers are much shorter in general when mining ceilings.

Edited by Tekari

Have been doing small scale testing comparing single action then stam regain method to queueing multiple actions method of mining. Gains per action are different ofc but gains per unit time seem correlatory. Not gotten data to confirm or deny this yet as skillgains are still going up too fast, hoping to test this at 70 mining when they have stabilised somewhat

• Like 1

Unless cave ceilings somehow use a completely different system, I don't see why they would be considered any differently than using a WoA pick. You get smaller gains due to the reduced time, but they occur more often (over time, not per action). I like mining ceilings because I feel like I'm accomplishing more due to the shorter timer, even with a very low QL pick. I'll do a run against a normal cave wall for comparison just in case.

Since the mining timers are much shorter in general when mining ceilings.

This used to be the case, but I believe it changed at some point. Since my return to the game back in spring, I am getting 3.7 second timers on both ceilings and walls using my speed pick. 

The 3.7 sec. timer might just be because I think around 3.7 secs. is the minimum time for a mining action.

But I need to give the ceiling mining another thought.

@Lokitia: Using a WoA pick is ruled out for this test anyway because afaik WoA doesn't work as linear as CoC does making it really hard to impossible to calculate with it. :)

Have been doing small scale testing comparing single action then stam regain method to queueing multiple actions method of mining. Gains per action are different ofc but gains per unit time seem correlatory. Not gotten data to confirm or deny this yet as skillgains are still going up too fast, hoping to test this at 70 mining when they have stabilised somewhat

the only thing with the regain stam every action is you lose time because of the waiting and human error while queing 3-5 actions you have less waiting for stam to regen

Set Wurm Assitant to bleep 2sec after actions finished (when your stam will be regenned). Smack spacebar keybind whenever computer bleeps. Hey presto, sorted.