Sign in to follow this  
Tekari

Mining Skillgain Test - Feel Free To Contribute

Anyone have a link to the skillgain tool?  The one in the OP points to Ago's wurmpedia page and the links there are dead.  Github is mindboggling to me otherwise i'd try to compile it that way. :/  Thanks in advance!

Ohh, didn't know that or see I could.  Thanks... and how do I compile all this?  Last programming language I learned was Darkbasic over 10 years ago lol.

Edited by Nomadikhan

I don't think this is meant to be.  Downloaded your installer, however:

An error occurred trying to download 'http://gotti.dnsalias.org/wurm/miningratio/MiningRatio.application'.

The following components were successfully installed:
- .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 Client Profile

See the setup log file located at 'C:\Users\NOMADI~1\AppData\Local\Temp\VSDCD6A.tmp\install.log' for more information.

Apparently it's trying to download additional things from the dead links.

Its a scam. There is no "mining ratio" file. All it does is to install some adds to your computer and make you go insane.

No it's not a scam. But I am sorry that it doesn't work. I guess this is because the setup.exe is trying to download the files from Ago's gotti.dnsalias.org address which is not available as we already know.

But you're right Zirgof that Dropbox would have been a better solution to upload the file. The filehoster I used was simply the first one I came accross when I googled it. And it's obviously one with a lot of spam buttons.

Anyway I deleted the link in the OP and am trying to contact Ago now.

Server is responding again.

Thanks to a kernel update or some hosting changes the firewall was not set up properly and blocked any traffic.

Edited by ago

Thanks Ago.

No more excuses not to help with the testing people :)

Pretty sure the rumor about action timer not affecting stat gains is a complete myth. I definitely get a lot more stat gain with a longer action timer (per action).

Pretty sure the rumor about action timer not affecting stat gains is a complete myth. I definitely get a lot more stat gain with a longer action timer (per action).

The longer the action, the more gain you get for stats and skills, but it caps at 30 seconds, so while an action that is 20 seconds long will get much more gain than one that's 10 seconds long, an action that is 45 seconds long will get you only a very slightly larger skill tick than one that 28 seconds long.

I suspect fishing might be the only (or very rare - I can't think of others right now) exception to this as it ticks up while you're fishing, not at the end of the action.

I've just uncovered some iron veins so I have a nice set of qualities to test the vein hypothesis across. Will do that later today.

I've just uncovered some iron veins so I have a nice set of qualities to test the vein hypothesis across. Will do that later today.

You'll get the First-Contributor-Badge then :)

Maybe I should offer a price money for best contributor. I really thought more people would be interested in the outcome AND be willing to help.

Edited OP. Please make sure to have your skillgain updates set to always in your Wurm settings. (Wurm Settings -> Text -> Skillgain Tab Updates -> Always)

Otherwise the Wurm Skill Ratio tool can't work properly.

I've used the program consistently since 60ish skill and I'm now at 97 mining. Here's a couple of observations I've made:

- There's a bug in the program that makes it only update the stats when you get a skill tick. This makes it greatly over-report gains in the beginning, but it evens out over time. Do not trust numbers with less than 50 actions. 100-200+ actions if you want an accurate number.

- As others have said you want to maximize the amount of skill ticks you get. I've used the program on multiple skills and on each of them the cap is 50% tick ratio (easy to see with the "Ratio" stat in the program). In other words, if this ratio is near 50% you don't need to worry about anything related to ticks. There might still be variations in the size of ticks, so it's still necessary to monitor the overall ratio.

- Despite common advice I've found lead to be an almost universal ore to skill on from 60+ skill. Even at 95+ skill I gain the same skill on lead as I do on silver (using CoC pickaxe in the 1-8ql range, no WoA). At high skill gold seems to be the same as silver and lead, but I haven't tested it thoroughly yet (program went down shortly after I moved to gold). I've only tested gold from 95+ skill, but I would suspect gold is a good skiller at much lower skill as well.

- Not related to mining, but some of the skill definitions that are supplied on the wiki are bugged and greatly over-reports skillgain (especially the one for weaponsmithing)

Btw, here's my bugfixed version of a config file for smithing:

using System;

using System.Text.RegularExpressions;

public class ChainarmoursmithingMessageParser

{

private Regex reStart = new Regex("You start (to improve|hammering|polishing|sharpening|tempering) the");

private Regex reEnd1 = new Regex("] You need to temper");

private Regex reEnd2 = new Regex("] You will want to polish .* with a pelt before you improve it");

private Regex reEnd3 = new Regex("] The .* (could be improved with a lump|could be improved with some more lump|has some dents that must be flattened by a hammer|needs to be sharpened with a whetstone)");

private Regex reEnd4 = new Regex("You damage the");

private Regex reSkill = new Regex("Chain armour smithing increased");

public bool isActionStart(String message)

{

return reStart.IsMatch(message);

}

public bool isActionEnd(String message)

{

return reEnd1.IsMatch(message) || reEnd2.IsMatch(message) || reEnd3.IsMatch(message) || reEnd4.IsMatch(message); 

}

public bool isSkillGain(String message)

{

return reSkill.IsMatch(message);

}

public String getName()

{

return "Chain armour smithing";

}

}

It's trivial to use it for other kinds of smithing as well - just change the filename and the two places in the code that says "chain armor".

• Like 1

I'm happy to announce the first official contributor (not counting me) !

Thanks Yaga for your help in busting myths. (not related to any TV show).

• Like 2

You'll get the First-Contributor-Badge then :)

Maybe I should offer a price money for best contributor. I really thought more people would be interested in the outcome AND be willing to help.

Internet got turned off yesterday, so I'll get on to this today :P

65.21 mining. 35.35QL iron pick, 85 coc, no sleep bonus, 99% nutrition, 79 food. I will mine from full stamina each time, and repair after every single action.

36QL iron vein: [14:07:17] Mining increased by 0.00291 to 65.2152

62QL iron vein: [14:10:11] Mining increased by 0.00291 to 65.2181

88QL iron vein: [14:13:09] Mining increased by 0.00291 to 65.2240

90+QL iron vein: [14:11:13] Mining increased by 0.00291 to 65.2210

Pick remained at 35.35QL for the whole test, only dropping to 35.34 on the final repair after the final action to get the tick on the 88QL vein.

The truth is still out there but apparently noone is really interested in it?

Is noone here skilling mining at the moment?

Come on people. Contribute or at least spread the word.

The one's who know don't want to share, and the one's that want are not motivated enough test.

I think there is just to many factors that are taken into account. WoA,  Coc, Stamina, QL of vein and QL of pick. Stamina being probably one the biggest things that will throw your results, fact at a certain point in your amount of stamina left you will gain more skill then if you had a full bar. If you want to really figure it out, just open the jar file and search for the math inside of it. Good luck though, its a mess in there.

Heres the game rules that govern the files you download so long as you dont go editing the files its legal to do:

Source: Game agreement

1. You will not modify or cause to be modified in anyway any files that are part of the Wurm Online client or any additional packs.

2. You will not create cheats, modifications or any software designed to alter the Wurm Online game experience in anyway.

3. You will not create or use any third party software or application that intercepts or "mines" any data from the Wurm Online servers or from the Wurm Online client, or use data resulting from the use of such software by any other persons.

4. You will not initiate, assist or be involved with any attack upon the Wurm Online servers or in any way attempt to disrupt the playing experience of other players. Please be aware that any attempt by you or any other player on an account traceable to you that undermines the legitimate operation of the Wurm Online game is a violation of criminal and civil law and Code Club AB reserves the right to seek damages to the full extent permitted under the law.

Edited by Ruger

I've got it in the schedule to grind a new toon from 1-95 mining starting next month so I'll be contributing then :)

@Ruger: I know this test won't be the solution to everything but it will still help finding the best ores compared to skill.

The most important thing I wanna check with this test is the skill ratio on different ores at certain skill levels. And I think this should be achievable

the way I run it.

About the skillgain you sure am right. There are many factors that need to be considered when it comes to it. But since I've ruled WOA out and

am going to do a bit of maths with the CoC and sleep bonus I should be able to take them out too.

The stamina issue is of course the hardest to manage. And to be honest I just assumed that everyone is mining as many times as they can while still getting skill.

I might have been a bit sloppy there ;)

Anyways... I still hope that my test will give us some valuable results and will help to bust some myths.

@Aetherwalker: I'm looking forward to it. And knowing your determination when it comes to mining I'm sure sooner or later I'll be getting loads of data from you.

View hidden Post
Posted · Hidden by KaiH, August 9, 2013 - OT and irrelevant
Hidden by KaiH, August 9, 2013 - OT and irrelevant

The one's who know don't want to share, and the one's that want are not motivated enough test.

You probably believe in government coverups of alien landings too

I think that is an inflammatory remark and untrue for the most part, I believe people are unsure on what is fact and what is myth which is why this testing is being undertaken. Lack of results is more likely a result of the setup process as you are required to:

A download tracking software

B meet the requirements for results (no less than 50 ore, continuous SB etc) and

C You must be registered with google to view/edit the results page.

So the part of your statement about "not motivated" enough to do all that is the only shred of truth.

Stamina being probably one the biggest things that will throw your results, fact at a certain point in your amount of stamina left you will gain more skill then if you had a full bar.

That's a good point, however I ran a test to check it out and the skill gain seems to be proportional to the time taken, I've shown 3 different times below but every test came up at roughly 0.000057 if you round it, any differences in results I would attribute to the decimals of skill only going to 6 places and the seconds being rounded to 1 decimal. Even if that is not the case the differences are negligible.

[06:29:19] Mining increased by 0.000832 to 86.60893       14.6s

[06:30:19] Mining increased by 0.00121 to 86.6110         21.2s

[06:43:13] Mining increased by 0.00153 to 86.6169           27s

Skill / second = 0.000832 / 14.6 = 0.0000569863013698630136986301369863

Skill / second = 0.001210 / 21.2 = 0.00005707547169811320754716981132075

Skill / second = 0.001530 / 27 = 0.00005666666666666666666666666666667

Now that it's proven to be linked to the time taken (and not the % of stamina remaining) then this aspect of the possible error is corrected as the recording shows skill over time, not skill over actions (or over % stamina)

Hope that made sense, if not I can try and elaborate on it.

EDIT: Obviously this is untrue if the person burns to 0% stamina as there is a skill gain penalty.

Edited by OthobRithol