Sign in to follow this  
Val

No More Wilderness In Wurm?

I am rather new to the game, I startet up at the Indepenence server where I joined a friendly village and started to work on my skills, and learning the basics.

I enjoy the game, but I started trying to find a place of my own. Wanting to start in the wilderness, creating my own home, like a settler in the old days.

But I have been searching for the last frontier in vain. I soon found out that Independence had few areas untuched(no surprice..), so I searched the forum for the least populated server. I fund the maps, and combinded with the overview of the activity on the servers, I figured that Release could be a good server to find my prestine paradise beach to build my home. But I was walking the coast line for days without finding an untouched stretch of land. buildings all over...

I am thinking of trying Celebration next, but looking at the map I dont have a big hope of finding a private beach.

What do you people think, is it possibile to find a private place with no buildings or roads close by? Preferably a coast line, not to steep, with trees nearby....

:)

Freedom players are very good at messing up the world they live in. I wouldnt get my hopes up on finding untouched land. Best you can do is find the ruins of someone before you, clean it up and use it.

If you dont mind having all your stuff stolen, being killed, losing all your horses,... elevation has a lot of wild, untouched land. (because people who live out in the wild get constantly murdered/robbed)

Edited by Judicator
  • Like 1

Going to be hard on inde i think, that server once was crowded with people :)

I'm sure theres a few places but they will require alot of work probalby, and are decently steep...

There's a fair bit of untouched land on Cele, but if you're looking for untouched coast, you need to find somewhere that's not an ideal location. For obvious reasons, most of the untouched land that's ideal for settling has been settled I know there have been people reclaiming some of the marsh areas, you could try that.

Edited by Cally

all freedom isles servers are 'crowded' like that.. actually I can find few places untouched on Inde because it got some nasty mountains when no one want to live there...

But if you want real wilderness danger.. go to any of the pvp servers. It will be fine as long as you live really secluded and preferable inside a cave :) .

There has been lots of discussion over this issue. The slow decay of undeeded areas ( takes months for things to completelly decay ) and the low cost of maintaining a relatively small deed with huge perimeter has led up to this. I, as you, started in Independence, where I lived among some ridiculous lame neighbours who were planting garbage deeds all over the area rendering it useless.

So I moved out to one of the two true pvp servers that prevent the previous situation to happen. Chaos or Elevation ( epic ). I don't know the situation over at Elevation, but in Chaos, you can start your own deed in a "true" wild area and staying safe on the same time providing:

1)You join a kingdom.

2)You build your village inside the kingdom's territory and not at it's borders to avoid getting raided.

PS: In Chaos there's the extra benefit that you can travel to the freedom servers any time you want and mock the freedomers and their habbits.

Edited by Issle
  • Like 1

Yes wilderness in Wurm Online especially on PVE servers became very rare. The best chances are on the independence server because of the massive mountains there but it is hard terrain.

I can remember when in 2008 on the JKH server there was only one deed every 250+ tiles. There were forest passages which has never seen any player absolutely wonderful but Wurm has changed a lot I can live without that, I hope you too.

The wilderness slowly reclaims any abandoned village/home. The only thing left behind is any Terra-forming that has been done. Head a couple minutes walk in-land on Celebration and you will find dozens of potential homes in the "wurm-wilderness" of ruins and reclaimed forest areas, that are perfect for settling.

Aiming for a coastal location that appears to be in the wilderness will be near impossible, unless you settle somewhere that no one wanted to live at in the first place. (Which for obvious reasons, you probably don't want to live there either)

Like others have said, living on Chaos is probably a good choice if you don't mind the risk of losing you buildings at some point. (It's pretty unlikely to happen)

Come to the epic cluster! vast open spaces, wild creatures to contest with and so much more drama 

moved to cele 2 days ago - found a coastal place and set a deed up :) just look at the map

on pristine i had found quite some unsettled space even at those coasts, the only downside is, that you need to fence in or deed pretty fast or you'll get problems with the mob population ;)

In my world coastline and wilderness doesn't belong together.

• Like 2

Well... that depends.

I started on Deli 1 year and a bit more ago, and all that I can say is the same: the core of every isle is always crowded,... and you find yourself (dangerously) lonely the more you apart yourself from that.

I walked my way to the south, and found a (really nice) player named Laochan (who does not even know what I miss her). I lived there a short while, and then I started a trip with my ship to the world.

Found a forgotten place at Exodus, in the Badlands. A really "bad" place to live in that moment, since there was no iron (there is no iron right now. That has not changed), only silver, and no animals nor trees.

I started my work. Planted my garden, made my farms, found my animals, ans self-stablished there.

Now the spawn rates change, and I see people usually. That, plus I won a tar pit in my own deed, there is some public clay 2 mts. beyond my gates, and today I found slate, plus I reopened the abandoned mine at my deed and im fixing it.

I live in somewhat wilderness, and believe me: it exists.

If you want wilderness,you won't find it along the coast. Go inland on any server and you will find it. Otherwise try the epic home servers.They have tons of untouched land

I found tons of it out hunting yesterday and today, my boat is full of meat and other goodies, I left the road as soon as I could.

Come to epic, wilderness everywhere, oh yeah besides serenity, thats full of garbage

Come to epic, wilderness everywhere, oh yeah besides serenity, thats full of garbage

Correct, except aside from Lorena, Serenity is actually quite nice. :)

Plenty of untamed wilderness over here on dese  :)  I spent a few days wandering around and theres still alot of great area to plant a deed on.

Heh as mentioned previously it can be possible to find untouched lands, or lands that have reverted back to "wild".

However, it can be difficult to find any true "frontier servers" since the last two newest maps have existed for quite some time now. Although even when they were added, they were kept isolated as an experiment. Eventually Rolf intends to connect them to the Freedom cluster.

Not sure offhand if the player population is enough yet for Rolf to feel more maps are warranted, especially in regards to costs.

Personally I feel that even with the current numbers new maps would be awesome. For example if the maps were dedicated to a specific overall theme such as desert w/ mountains or ocean w/ a few atolls small islands. Even a desert server doesn't have to be all sand. They have quite the diverse terrain, flora and fauna. Obviously far fewer places for wells.

Heh as mentioned previously it can be possible to find untouched lands, or lands that have reverted back to "wild".

However, it can be difficult to find any true "frontier servers" since the last two newest maps have existed for quite some time now. Although even when they were added, they were kept isolated as an experiment. Eventually Rolf intends to connect them to the Freedom cluster.

Not sure offhand if the player population is enough yet for Rolf to feel more maps are warranted, especially in regards to costs.

Personally I feel that even with the current numbers new maps would be awesome. For example if the maps were dedicated to a specific overall theme such as desert w/ mountains or ocean w/ a few atolls small islands. Even a desert server doesn't have to be all sand. They have quite the diverse terrain, flora and fauna. Obviously far fewer places for wells.

desert and steppe would go well together ;) aswell as marsh and deep forests and then we have tundra and maybe lots of surface rock for "colder" areas actually I would like it if we had maps with climatic zones ;)

Cele SE corner, plenty of free space on coast.

you cant assume to find a clean spot without trees waitin for you.

you make the spot.

A good rule of thumb is, the further inland you go - the more untouched the land will be.

Every newbie and their grandmother plops deeds down next to the coast.

Thanks a lot for all the feed back and usefull information!

The Epic cluster sounds tempting with a lot of untouched area, but I am afraid PvP will kill the enjoyment of building...

I will do as Silakka suggest and look for a place SE in Celebration.

If I do not find a good spot on Cele, I will try to go to Desertion. That will be the most scary solution, as I need a boat and will be afraid of beeing killed and robbed...

Today I went to Independence, I found so many empty areas in the NW side, it's ridiculous.