Sign in to follow this  
zarroc

Maps

OK so what do you think of having a craftable map i.e you get paper and a quill and "chart" the area around you (whatever distance) i was thinking field of few. and you can then move up a bit and update the map but you have to do it manually like clicking on your map and adding to it. Then you could have adventurers who go out and chart the lands and then sell there maps. and you could have skil for this cartography for example?

• Like 1

What would that serve for if we have community maps already?

By the way, I feel smell of some other sandbox in it, can't remember which one though.

it stopes the need for comunity maps and adds more depth to the game, also anything that s recently charted could wel be more uptodate than the community ones also which sandbox and i can reply.

-1 for the various reasons i put in the last 5 iterations of this idea

I think development resources should be devoted to something else. Community maps serve the purpose nicely, I think. And if we want to argue whats sandboxy, I think community maps are more-so, as, being from Serenity, I know quite a few 'secret' maps. Plus, the ability to stand somewhere and be able to map out the area...meh...no thanks.

-1 suggested and shot down 100 times already...

yus are -1ing it but yous arent saying that its a bad idea, by all means i understand that they are busy doing other things but i still think it would be a nice thing to have at one stage

I don't really want another thing to lug around in my inv when I can just look it up online. Plus looking it up online is more of a challenge and I always like things to be more difficult imo.

so you are saying that looking somthing more difficult than having to go there and chart it your self?

Obviously there will be people to create the map and sell them all you have to do is buy them... why would i waste my time charting a map trying to find out where I need to go when I have already been there to chart it.

As mentioned before when cartography threads come up, it would have to be very, very skill intensive. Not to mention heavy requirements in quality of the materials. It would almost have to be a solo occupation along the lines of weaponsmithing.

No one wants an automap in Wurm with the kind of accuracy from surveillance satellites, drones, etc.

That said I would be all for ingame player-crafted maps, especially if players can add notes. Just that functionality would open up a world of possibilities.

Screenshot of my screen as I play. Usually have a wurmpedia tab and a forum tab open as well....

yzHJV4c.jpg

-1 sorry but wurm travels just fine without ingame maps

You could be a real go-getter and make your own map.  I made one in paint (by no means a great program for such things, but it works).  This is a map of the villages and lands in my alliance. (North Crystal Lake Alliance)

idQanj0.jpg

• Like 1

One day when I'm not busy I plan to use Wurm Armky Knife to map my entire local range, it's fun

The closest thing I'd personally ever agree to, is the ability to open the current community maps inside the client. Almost like a built in web browser. I like the idea of needing to figure out which way is north, south, east, west via various means, looking at terrain and finding my approximate location, and navigating from there.

Many of the people are posting very brief responses because it is a suggestion that comes up frequently, but there are several core objections to it. Normally I would say you should have used the search function, but actually having tried it myself (for both "map" and "cartography") it seems that the forums aren't saving search data very well!

Basically the most common objections are to do with revealing deeds in PVP servers, issues with how it would work from a development point of view (high data storage and transfer requirements, for example), and the high amount of effort required to implement it. At least those are the first few points that spring to mind for me.

The closest thing I'd personally ever agree to, is the ability to open the current community maps inside the client. Almost like a built in web browser. I like the idea of needing to figure out which way is north, south, east, west via various means, looking at terrain and finding my approximate location, and navigating from there.

I don't see how this could work, without a full browser implementation. The community maps are not hosted on a secure enough location, and are updated frequently. Also the host can change, and you may have multiple people updating different maps.

Edited by Wraithglow

I don't see how this could work, without a full browser implementation. The community maps are not hosted on a secure enough location, and are updated frequently. Also the host can change, and you may have multiple people updating different maps.

Yup, I thought about that as well. It would need to be hosted by Rolf and have semi-limited access. I am basing this on of course only the PvE side and not the PvP side. At least on Deliverance, there is only 1 or two people (that I know of) that update the map.  PvP however this wouldn't work at all as I assume there are many "secret" maps, etc. which is why I said that is the "closest" thing I'd personally ever agree to. hehe.

Many of the people are posting very brief responses because it is a suggestion that comes up frequently, but there are several core objections to it. Normally I would say you should have used the search function, but actually having tried it myself (for both "map" and "cartography") it seems that the forums aren't saving search data very well!

The search system in these forums is horrible, I agree, but I find that switching to 'archive' will often dig up a lot of what I'm looking for. I think any thread that isn't posted in for a month or two ends up in the archive.

Im not sure why everyone is panicked about the pvp aspect because the only way they could possibly implement any kind of detail on a constantly changing map without going crazy is for a player to record the current state of whatever area they are in, meaning that any map, even player made, is likely going to be very limited for the kind of details that would be needed to take advantage of it pvp wise; any details they could use would be information they would have to know to make the map in the first place. An ingame map of Wurm will never have the same level of usefulness or detail as maps in most games. If dev created, it by necessity will have to be a very general map; if player created, it can show more detail, but will become outdated fairly quickly, especially on pvp servers where people are more likely to constantly be shifting things around. Adding in game functionality for maps won't change the current state of things nearly as much as some people fear because the nature of the game itself is a constantly changing world, making mapping a challenge no matter how you do it.