Sign in to follow this  
Arcadies

Do Bridles Actually Do Anything?

Simple as that.

Do bridles have any current function at all?

Bridles do not serve any function whatsoever. It used to be thought that it helps the turning radius of a Horse when worn, however this has been disproved.

what about saddles ?

If you saddle a horse it won't roam when dismounted.

People here claim answers, but when is the last time those were actually tested?

• Like 1

Bridles do nothing.

My horse has a ql90 bridle (just for show, so that she doesn't feel like I don't care for her). Handling of the horse is exactly the same, whether she wears the bridle or not.

BTW, bridles never get damaged and never decay, or maybe once in 2 years or so.

It was rather a surprise that saddled horses will not wander off. Such a feature imho would have been more appropriate for the bridle. Its not like the saddle doesn't already provide a bonus.

• Like 5

bridles do carry a sig unlike saddles and shoes

Interesting use...

there was some suggestion thread that if you had a bridle on your horse you didn't need to have a rope to lead it, that would be a real neat use in my eyes for them

• Like 7

People here claim answers, but when is the last time those were actually tested?

Last time someone questioned what a bridle does.

When bridles first came out they helped a lot with guiding the horse and making turns.  But after several nerfs to how horses handle they do not really make a difference any more.

• Like 1

there was some suggestion thread that if you had a bridle on your horse you didn't need to have a rope to lead it, that would be a real neat use in my eyes for them

Good idea indeed. I wonder how the idea could be expanded so that ql of the bridle matters.

Just out of the blue, without really thinking this through. What about when the ql of the bridle determines the chance that mobs target the horse instead of the rider? Thus the higher ql the bridle has the less likely it is that a mob attacks the horse. Could even make sense, with a good bridle the rider manages to get the horse out of the swing of the mob.

And please make bridles take damage ... I'm a leathercrafter. :rolleyes:

Good idea indeed. I wonder how the idea could be expanded so that ql of the bridle matters.

Just out of the blue, without really thinking this through. What about when the ql of the bridle determines the chance that mobs target the horse instead of the rider? Thus the higher ql the bridle has the less likely it is that a mob attacks the horse. Could even make sense, with a good bridle the rider manages to get the horse out of the swing of the mob.

And please make bridles take damage ... I'm a leathercrafter. :rolleyes:

Ok with the dmg, the other a big -1

Ok please no to having bridles take damage. And yes a function for a bridle would be good, but no to the animal having more of a chance to attack the horse for two reasons. First, it would turn into a requirement to have a high quality bridle, so that mobs wouldn't really attack your horse. Second, mobs don't usually attack the horse, unless they are starving, so I wouldn't want every mob I encounter trying to attack my horse.

Surprised Shrimpiie is arguing against dmg to horse gear. Would it not benefit a leatherworker in the long run?

Yes, it would, however I would wish for the bridle to just help with the turning arc of a horse, not a needed item because the mob is attacking the horse all the time. And, I use horses too, and I know how much of a pain this would be for people if the idea was added.

Just tried it with a high ql bridle, it doesn't affect movement speed or turn speed

A simple enough solution, I think.

Allow bridles to set ownership of a horse, much like a boat or large cart. In this way, you could change the settings on the bridle to allow or disallow other players to lead or ride your horse.

Removal of the bridle would of course let the horse be freely traded.

If the horse dies the bridle will decay eventually unless reclaimed by the original owner.

The bridle can be traded such as a cart or boat can be traded.

The bridle can be renamed and that name would be displayed on a mouse-over of the horse (with all naming guidelines and rules enforced) just like a boat.

The bridle would allow the owner to remove, repair, and replace the horse's shoes, barding and such without the need to tame the horse.

The bridle would be visible whether the horse is ridden or not to show that it is owned.

The bridled horse cannot be killed on a PvE server by other players, but mobs, age, etc. would be able to kill it.

There we go then. Make bridles have an actual use.

I would think that turning arc to for a bridle would be a good place to begin with...