Sign in to follow this  
Supersedeas

Food Storage

So, I'm pretty new. I was trying to find a way to store cooked food such as casseroles and meals. I found out the hard was that food storage bins don't hold food of that type. Is there another way to store food that I've overlooked?

Thanks in advance.

Love,

Super

only in an animals stomache, usually via taming.

food source materials can be stored, cooked results not.

The best way is to put a Food Storage Bin right next to your oven (or forge... whatever you are cooking in). You can store all of the raw materials in the FSB and they will not decay. They will average the ql though, so keep that in mind when you put stuff in there. Keep a store of Veggies (Potatos, Corn, Onions) and Cooked Meat (will always be .9kg when you take it from the FSB) then remove them and cook a meal when you are hungry. You get better nutritional gain when the meal is hot anyway so you'll be maximizing your potential there. Veggies and Cooked Meat should be pretty plentiful (a few tiles of veggie crops will soon be enough to sustain yah indefinitely) so its not like you should ever run low.

If you keep the meals inside the Oven they will keep for a day or so before taking damage. So just leave them where you cook them and reheat them when you are hungry. Make more when they take damage...

You can store meals for a few days by keeping them in a container of water such as a barrel or fountain.

You can store meals for a few days by keeping them in a container of water such as a barrel or fountain.

This. Also, I have the feeling (and I might be wrong) that decay is slowed when the barrel is in a raft in a cart. I keep such a barrel in my cart when I'm out and about and to me it seems the meals last longer than in a barrel in a house.

I seem to remember having read that the container in a container trick does not slow decay, so I might be wrong.

There also rumor with salt and/or water inside barrel with the meals to slow the decay. I hasn't test it :P .

There also rumor with salt and/or water inside barrel with the meals to slow the decay. I hasn't test it :P .

Only when cooked into the meal taking the place of an herb...

Salt can be used in cooking in place of an herb. If included in meals, salt reduces the decay by half.

does not affect the decay ticks on items inside the barrel, but is convenient to have both food and water in one spot ;)