Sign in to follow this  
Aetherwalker

Disallow Access To Chaos From Tutorial

Perfectly prepared to be flamed but hear me out.

The number of new players who start on Chaos without knowing anything about it and complain in GL about Valrei spawns, etc, is absurd. For 90+% of these players, they are too new to just sail over to another server to learn the game, and are thus getting stuck and for the most part quitting because they can't get started.

My proposal is simple. Disallow access to Chaos from the tutorial, meaning players are able to start on other Freedom servers, safe from Valrei spawns, but in return implement a unidirectional one use only teleport from Freedom to Chaos (toon only, no items). This would mean new players would start in a less harsh environment and be able to learn the game before being harassed by Nogumps, and wouldn't inconvenience any veteran players as they could still use their transport to get to Chaos regardless, would really just block new players making an uneducated decision and having to suffer for it later.

Educate them better, plenty of room for more writing on the stone, or could make a link to a forum thread for more info, people that are truly into PvP will start any new game on a PvP server.

Doesnt the tutorial teleporter inform players that its a dangerous pvp server? Should link the poor guys to the Chaos FAQ i wrote up on it or something =/

• Like 1

Doesnt the tutorial teleporter inform players that its a dangerous pvp server? Should link the poor guys to the Chaos FAQ i wrote up on it or something =/

If there is not one, then it really needs such a warning: the FAQ would serve well.

Aether, MR has gone to great lengths to try to integrate new players into it's ranks, The problem is that far too many players come to chaos and don't want to be part of the community of either kingdom, or in most cases, I don't think they understand how much of an improvement being in a kingdom makes in their game experience.  Its the same with new players who don't understand that fact on Freedom server that they need to be part of a village.  

Yes there are plenty of arguments that you can survive without MR or JK, as BL or something but a new player can't be expected to know that.  What the tutorial should really stress is reading the FAQ that Nadroj wrote or at least make them aware of the community on the server.    

I can see why many player who start wurm intentionally in a pvp environment can't imagine what the environment is.    Many if not most other MMOs are designed to protect its new players, wurm doesn't pull it's punches much at all.   As much as I approve that, and I think it makes for a unique game experience it does have it's problems.   

This is a sandbox game.   As such most of the gameplay should be in our hands.  If player want to join and start their initial experience on a PvP server that should deffinately be their decision.

As for your comment about the val cridders, I definitely think some look should be made to the spawn rate.   The reason its such a problem on chaos is because of the low population.  Its the same spawn rate on indy, but the greater population and dispersement gives the populus a chance to deal with the things before they become a problem.  

Chaos has some very effective fighters, but we are just being overwhelmed by them in many ways.    The fact that our populations in each kingdom are very concentrated at a few locations makes a massive difference in their effect on the server.   A spawn of three nogumps in several locations across the server every time there is a spawn of them is a bit much when if there are 50 players on the server and there are only 4-5 outside deeds almost guarantees one of those 4-5 people will be spawned on if they meet the proper requirements that are scripted into their spawn profiles.    I've been spawned on several times.   They also tend to spawn near the larger villages.   This can be an especial problem when drakespirts or eaglespirts would spawn near a large city and start munching on the noob population before our fighters can come back from hunting, building or fighting and take care of the situation.    

There were about 20-30 nogump corpses littering my brewery before I went to take my siesta on Freedom, the stuff is insane.    The spawn amount should be scaled to the total online population of the server.   

Until recently ( week or so) Chaos was the first (default) server option on the Freedom stones from the tutorial, and the only warning that it was PvP rather than PvE as the large pop up before accessing the stones suggested, was a small (PvP) next to the option.

This was recently changed so that Chaos is no longer the first option, and there is also an addition to the pop up window that highlights Chaos is a dangerous PvP server rather than PvE as the rest of them are.

This should with any luck warn people more fully.

I see no reason to force people who DO want to go straight to Chaos to have to sail in from another server (or go to Epic and portal over).

• Like 2

Hord, that's why I suggested a one way TP mechanism :)

Where would you suggest its put, right where you log into a freedom server of your choice? great 2 clicks instead of one ... somewhere else far away, great spam on GL chat, I cant find the portal to Chaos, so this solves the problem how?

Aether, MR has gone to great lengths to try to integrate new players into it's ranks, The problem is that far too many players come to chaos and don't want to be part of the community of either kingdom, or in most cases, I don't think they understand how much of an improvement being in a kingdom makes in their game experience.  Its the same with new players who don't understand that fact on Freedom server that they need to be part of a village.  

Yes there are plenty of arguments that you can survive without MR or JK, as BL or something but a new player can't be expected to know that.  What the tutorial should really stress is reading the FAQ that Nadroj wrote or at least make them aware of the community on the server.    

I can see why many player who start wurm intentionally in a pvp environment can't imagine what the environment is.    Many if not most other MMOs are designed to protect its new players, wurm doesn't pull it's punches much at all.   As much as I approve that, and I think it makes for a unique game experience it does have it's problems.   

This is a sandbox game.   As such most of the gameplay should be in our hands.  If player want to join and start their initial experience on a PvP server that should deffinately be their decision.

As for your comment about the val cridders, I definitely think some look should be made to the spawn rate.   The reason its such a problem on chaos is because of the low population.  Its the same spawn rate on indy, but the greater population and dispersement gives the populus a chance to deal with the things before they become a problem.  

Chaos has some very effective fighters, but we are just being overwhelmed by them in many ways.    The fact that our populations in each kingdom are very concentrated at a few locations makes a massive difference in their effect on the server.   A spawn of three nogumps in several locations across the server every time there is a spawn of them is a bit much when if there are 50 players on the server and there are only 4-5 outside deeds almost guarantees one of those 4-5 people will be spawned on if they meet the proper requirements that are scripted into their spawn profiles.    I've been spawned on several times.   They also tend to spawn near the larger villages.   This can be an especial problem when drakespirts or eaglespirts would spawn near a large city and start munching on the noob population before our fighters can come back from hunting, building or fighting and take care of the situation.    

There were about 20-30 nogump corpses littering my brewery before I went to take my siesta on Freedom, the stuff is insane.    The spawn amount should be scaled to the total online population of the server.   

BLH has less players and the same spawns.

Valrei creatures really should just be removed from chaos.

Perfectly prepared to be flamed but hear me out.

The number of new players who start on Chaos without knowing anything about it and complain in GL about Valrei spawns, etc, is absurd. For 90+% of these players, they are too new to just sail over to another server to learn the game, and are thus getting stuck and for the most part quitting because they can't get started.

My proposal is simple. Disallow access to Chaos from the tutorial, meaning players are able to start on other Freedom servers, safe from Valrei spawns, but in return implement a unidirectional one use only teleport from Freedom to Chaos (toon only, no items). This would mean new players would start in a less harsh environment and be able to learn the game before being harassed by Nogumps, and wouldn't inconvenience any veteran players as they could still use their transport to get to Chaos regardless, would really just block new players making an uneducated decision and having to suffer for it later.

How would cutting off players who want to join a pvp server be a good thing?

Edited by TraderJoe

Need to stop the suggestions that will only KILL wild again. Stopping new players joining from tutorial, or closing the borders would be a fatal move. 

+1.

Chaos will gain more players from this suggestion in the long run. Right now people spawn in a neutered kingdom on Chaos and can't move many tiles in any direction without being killed by other kingdom guards, insanely overpowered Epic spawns, or griefed by enemy kingdom players.

That is where you are wrong sir. I run around there on a freedom alt often. There is vast amounts of land that have no towers of enemy kingdoms, enemy kingdoms players leave you alone as a freedomer unless your snooping around their deeds and they assume  your a spy. Have had several help against their own tower guards to assist in passing them, help recover items on body if a mob got me, or wave in local and assured me I may pass without harm. They prefer to recruit vs killing you. Very few freedomer deaths to ANY kingdoms, not that it does not happen on occasion. I hardly see any epic mobs, Ive been chased for a short while by a nogump, easily out ran it. The war zone is currently away from the central area it had raged for years over the white light and has moved north east around kratos and the hot gates. 

+1.

Chaos will gain more players from this suggestion in the long run. Right now people spawn in a neutered kingdom on Chaos and can't move many tiles in any direction without being killed by other kingdom guards, insanely overpowered Epic spawns, or griefed by enemy kingdom players.

Have you ever actually made a new account and tried to spawn?   If you spawn at GC, there is a good chance as long as you don't mess up or something that an MR will run into you and recruit you, same as with the landing.  We have regular patrols that go through the GC area and keep an eye on the new players there and make sure they are doing ok, or try to help them get setup.   

I'm not a big fan of the MR vs JK feuding in many ways, but new players are being supported by both kingdoms.    The BL players seem to mostly be freedom immigrants and old BL who have come back from what I've seen, and they always happily pick up anyone they can convince to join them :D    

Ever since I placed warning signs up, I've seen a LOT less dead bodies under those towers along the roads leading away from GC.   The biggest problem is that clueless noobs just blunder on out of the spawn areas.  That is fixable by keeping a good eye on them, and intercepting their explorations into dangerous territory before they get themselves destroyed by the tower guards or the local wildlife.   

This doesn't change the fact that the best players chaos gets are often those guys that start here.   I've recruited players for years and the biggest argument I get from freedom players, even the ones with a 2x2 wooden shack to their name is that they don't want to leave their work behind.  It just gets worse as they go along and become part of the community there.      

It takes a certain kind of mentality to stick around on such a hostile server, and the public fear of Chaos I see almost every day on global freedom chat while I'm out hunting isn't as bad as it used to be before epic, but I see the same arguments over and over.    I love the challenge of that server, and it was something I grew into because I started there very early in my wurm career, but it is something that is best a player is exposed to early.   It's a completely uphill decision to come to Chaos if your aren't.    

• Like 1

eh nm. Many people have said what i wanted to say.

Edited by TraderJoe

Perhaps up the warning font and give a secondary warning and make them accept it too.

"No seriously, choosing this server as a new player will be extremely hard."

Edited by Elen

Unless some veteran player decided to assist them in getting started. knowledge and gear goes a long ways.

This is a sandbox game. some times you have to do things for yourself if you want it to change, instead of begging for coding to be changed.

Edited by Cerberus

Or how about some type of new tutorial one must go through once they choose to go to chaos. A little glimpse of the living life. I have no clue as to how that would be in terms of details but its an idea.

I just wouldn't want to see all pvpers going over to epic from the start.

• Like 1