Sign in to follow this  
SmeJack

Please Remove All The Anti Pvp Rules On The Epic Cluster

Hrm even on old Wild I recal hearing news of occasional issues on the Home server(s). JK-H was the only home server for a long while. However, I only visited Home servers then for trading and raiding, so cannot personally say much in that regard. Course Wild being a "wild" server, it allowed for frontier-style justice.

The reputation system in general has been in Wurm since almost the beginning, even before players ended up changing the very nature of BL and thus the beginnings of HotS. EDIT: Originally BL was intended as just a dumping ground for players who wanted to go -200.

Hunted status in theory is fine personally; though, it still needs tweaking like most things this new.

EDIT: Main issues imho are the range of innocent actions that trigger it and having lawful/faithful switched on does not prevent or warn the player.

Edited by Klaa

+1 I can't agree more for this.....

Remember the stories of when British bandits used to raid villages in Britain but lost so much rep they converted to another race and had to move to a distant land SAID NOBODY EVER!!

• Like 1

Might as well turn all of Epic into Affliction because they have so many players. And rename Wurm to Darkfall or League of Wurm Legends. Gankfest version 3.0.

And that from a GM ... figures ...

Really undecided. I've always been anti-restriction and would be totally +1 but it suddenly gives respawning griefers free reign on what I thought was supposed to be a light entry point in to kvk, not spawning tadpoles to feed pike. If you excuse the expression or not.

Ideally the kingdom residents should decide, more or less gradually where on this range they want it. The system seems capable of running servers independantly along this range and having them reasonably fair. Perhaps a mayor only vote on a weekly basis could accomplish this. I know if this was dropped on Serenity it would be a free for all, and an enemy alt ffa as things are presently. I'm sure a lot of people are put off by spawning in to an enemy infested warzone like a pvp enabled GV, and that's how it is before this would even hit. JKH could use the safe kingdom heart that Wild kingdoms have, the pvp defence capabilities that deter enemy activity but it simply hasn't been able to get and keep the pvp ready base.

The +1 is what I want to give. This won't help JKH short term, it will probably further the resident enemy cause no end to the point maybe to where server and asset control is wrestled from JK for purposes that aren't in JK's interests, that's not so far fetched. Longer term it will eithergive the server structure on any enemy presence and a great independence of ally action based on kingdom loyalty, ie a pvp base or more likely imo, resident enemy will exploit to convert, kill and harass so the server goes downhill.

Love the OP sentiment, the opposite of these points can be argued more convincingly I'm sure. Undecided at present, it's a safety net and would be a waste of a lot of effort given to something meant to stabilise home servers. I can only speak as a JKH resident too that can't really see where this would lead, admittedly. W/e, go for it. JKH always bounced back, if it can't this time, consider my point of view as to why.

+1 with cheaper/beefier templars. Gotta dig out my headset anyway.

Edited by Silures

Then there is the end of the line where if you do enough bad stuff you will turn BL which has a 30 day cool down before being able to convert back and if you happen to be one of the poor sods that accidently uses a take bind on a pile of items you're stuck BL and there goes a months premium in misery because you have to wait to go home. 

especially when it means your kingdom mates cant even pick up your corpse on an enemy home server if you die.

I'm pretty sure that could never happen. My take bind does not work when trying to loot things I'm not supposed to. I have to right click > Steal instead, which is a pretty conscious choice to do something bad. The guards warn you even, so you have to click steal 5-6 times before your rep ticks down enough to aggro and then you have to kill all guards and even then you have to use right click>steal again. You also need to go "Unlawful" status, a pretty obvious choice.

And say you're stealing a pile of items, it will only steal max 3 items at a time, forcing you to repeat the action several times before you take it all and get any serious alignment change. So you would have to try pretty hard to get converted that way. Take bind won't trip you up in an accidental convert.

Also isn't there a command to release your corpse to friends as a WL? How is your corpse not lootable when you let it be?

I agree it's kinda silly and annoying, but that's why I chose BL from the very start. I didn't wanna deal with that BS and I think if it's a problem for any WL, they should just consider converting to the kingdom that actually allows this stuff.

Edited by Versai

If you die on an enemy server you get sent back to Ele and /release corpse doesn't work from there

The current reputation system is clearly broken. It is not fulfilling the role it was intended for, which was to prevent inter-kingdom fighting/griefing.

Removing it would give players the ability to police themselves and not rely on game mechanics which are easily abused/exploited.

I'm confused why so many people think that removing this system would plunge the servers into Post-Apocalyptic Chaos ala Road Warrior or something... The Wurm community (even on PvP servers) has shown in the past a great ability to manage itself when it comes to outlaws/griefers. The current Reputation system is actually preventing many of us from doing that.

• Like 3

+1 I can't agree more for this.....

Remember the stories of when British bandits used to raid villages in Britain but lost so much rep they converted to another race and had to move to a distant land SAID NOBODY EVER!!

Where do you think the welsh came from??

What if instead of being converted to BL when your rep drops to -200 or whatever, make players do 30 days in the tutorial on GV.

What if instead of being converted to BL when your rep drops to -200 or whatever, make players do 30 days in the tutorial on GV.

If I'm not mistaken, that's like how the HOTS was formed in the beginning. Griefers were banned to a small desolate and troll filled island off the shore of the original Alpha lands. That's what I heard, anyway. I wasn't in Wurm back then. :)

Back in the day there was a GM named Unforgiven, and other GMs too, basically if people did wrong on Jenn-Kellon Home (this is when there was only JKH and Wild), they were pretty much outcasted and sent by the GM to Wild as BL for criminal actions, stealing, griefing, killing, ect.  

I was.  ;)

Edited by Postes

The current reputation system is clearly broken. It is not fulfilling the role it was intended for, which was to prevent inter-kingdom fighting/griefing.

Removing it would give players the ability to police themselves and not rely on game mechanics which are easily abused/exploited.

I'm confused why so many people think that removing this system would plunge the servers into Post-Apocalyptic Chaos ala Road Warrior or something... The Wurm community (even on PvP servers) has shown in the past a great ability to manage itself when it comes to outlaws/griefers. The current Reputation system is actually preventing many of us from doing that.

prevent???? rolf intends for same kingdom griefing/fighting thats the whole entire reason why the rep system is in there he just wants it to be limited so someone cant constantly do it every single day and kill who ever they want. the fight with me helping JK i had to back off because my rep had tanked down too -3 and didnt want to wait for several more days to get it back up to 0. it is not my fault JKH wont fight back and the system doesnt need to be changed its working just fine its the ppl who are lazy and wont force me off the server.

also i am only able to raid 1 deed once a week due to rep restraint if 2 deeds have me on KOS then im able to do 2 deeds per week

but i believe the rep system needs to be taken out of the home servers to increase PVP ppl should hunt in packs and go places in a group instead of a freedom style home server on a PVP cluster

Edited by nosfirebird

but i believe the rep system needs to be taken out of the home servers in increase PVP ppl should hunt in packs and go places in a group instead of a freedom style home server on a PVP cluster

You should be fighting other kingdoms not your own. The rep system is there to not eliminate inter kingdom PvP entirely so disputes can be settled with PvP but I'm pretty sure there was no intention to have it be exploited by other kingdoms to easily cause damage to other servers without having to make the long trip and not have to deal with the normal static defences of the server. If you want more active PvP against fortresses of players you should be playing on Elevation not the home servers or if you just want a complete free for all between players on a server play on Affliction. Though given the numbers on Affliction that's not too appealing for people or possibly the lack of any restriction just lets trolls like you completely drive people off. Things are set up so there are variable levels of PvP so that people can find what suits them best. I know it's impossible for some of you to understand but there are a number of ways for people to play and enjoy PvP and limited PvP servers and don't wish to be playing on a server with no PvP at all.

Either way your activities are only creating a hassle for Rolf. There are many better things he and the other devs could be doing rather than trying to tweak the rep system to get it effective so that it stops the handful of trolls that occasionally crop up and have their hissy fit because people aren't playing like they want or are just doing it for kicks because they like to make people angry. If you really want to force people to take defence more seriously then do proper raids as a BL or MR player with all the risks that were intended. It's obvious your actions aren't intended because tweaks to the rep system are being made to try and limit damage done by players with no real interest in PvP and are just trolling/griefing. Given that exploiting game rules is something GMs can interfere with even on PvP servers I'm really not sure why they haven't taken action already.

• Like 2

I don't get it.... 

Since people are using JKH as an example so will I. If there a few people running riot as JK on JKH then why don't the people of JK group together and just stop them.... I mean you are on a PVP server so go and police your community, it should be taken out totally and let the players build up their own alliances and groups, the friendly mature respectable people will soon push out the idiots.

Don't see any of this on Elevation because they wouldnt last 5 seconds because each kingdom works as a team.

Now please stop using Rolf for protection and play the god damn game.

I hope Rolf sees people comments and realizes that the home servers like an overly nurtured child will not learn till you say NO 

• Like 5

One of the reasons I liked Wurm was its unrestricted PvP. Thievery and griefing was a part of it. And I liked it. It was exciting, having a possibility that your house can be looted by a thief and that you have to protect it, hide treasures, build hidden spots. It's like a real world. A whole bunch of possibilities.

Killing, when noone can see you. Looting when no one is around. That should be logical. You should only become "Haunted" if someone is around and saw your crime. 

So, +1.

You should be fighting other kingdoms not your own. The rep system is there to not eliminate inter kingdom PvP entirely so disputes can be settled with PvP but I'm pretty sure there was no intention to have it be exploited by other kingdoms to easily cause damage to other servers without having to make the long trip and not have to deal with the normal static defences of the server. If you want more active PvP against fortresses of players you should be playing on Elevation not the home servers or if you just want a complete free for all between players on a server play on Affliction. Though given the numbers on Affliction that's not too appealing for people or possibly the lack of any restriction just lets trolls like you completely drive people off. Things are set up so there are variable levels of PvP so that people can find what suits them best. I know it's impossible for some of you to understand but there are a number of ways for people to play and enjoy PvP and limited PvP servers and don't wish to be playing on a server with no PvP at all.

Either way your activities are only creating a hassle for Rolf. There are many better things he and the other devs could be doing rather than trying to tweak the rep system to get it effective so that it stops the handful of trolls that occasionally crop up and have their hissy fit because people aren't playing like they want or are just doing it for kicks because they like to make people angry. If you really want to force people to take defence more seriously then do proper raids as a BL or MR player with all the risks that were intended. It's obvious your actions aren't intended because tweaks to the rep system are being made to try and limit damage done by players with no real interest in PvP and are just trolling/griefing. Given that exploiting game rules is something GMs can interfere with even on PvP servers I'm really not sure why they haven't taken action already.

They try to stay out of such matters on Pvp servers to avoid the appearance of GM favoritism, especially when the GM is a player from an opposing faction. Not to mention accusations of GM spying, cheating, and etc.

I remember when PvP servers had more active GM presence, and personally the whining that ensued was over-hyped. Sadly in an effort to appease the more vocal, GM activities were curtailed and became more restrictive.

In the past the old reputation rules sufficed even in free-for-all situations for a long time. The vast majority of players didn't actively seek to cause internal strife. There were lines that were seldom crossed. Unfortunately the distasteful actions of a few are reverberating.

There are possible situations where hard-coded rules will end up not being sufficient, and its possible GMs will need to be more active on PvP servers again. It will probably get much worse before then though.

EDIT: In addition I agree it distracts Rolf from other aspects of the game.

I don't get it.... 

Since people are using JKH as an example so will I. If there a few people running riot as JK on JKH then why don't the people of JK group together and just stop them.... I mean you are on a PVP server so go and police your community, it should be taken out totally and let the players build up their own alliances and groups, the friendly mature respectable people will soon push out the idiots.

Don't see any of this on Elevation because they wouldnt last 5 seconds because each kingdom works as a team.

Now please stop using Rolf for protection and play the god damn game.

I hope Rolf sees people comments and realizes that the home servers like an overly nurtured child will not learn till you say NO 

Difficult to do when said people use holes in the system to take shelter, thus requests to patch aforementioned holes.

Edited by Klaa

What holes? if it was all took away the only safety they would have is a deed... if they are know for being a tool then you should be allowed to just plummit their deed.

What holes? if it was all took away the only safety they would have is a deed... if they are know for being a tool then you should be allowed to just plummit their deed.

If the rep system was taken away entirely then they'd have absolutely no reason to attack as an enemy since as the same kingdom they can have a village to spawn at, don't have to worry about the CR nerf, don't have to worry about guard towers, and are a short trip away from their targets at any time. Except for getting affinities there would be no reason not to attack home servers as the same kingdom. Is that really how epic is meant to be played?

The more I read this thread I think of this scene:

Edited by Vroomfondel

My question is simple. Why do people want to waste their efforts on attacking their allies when their talents would be better suited in dealing with their enemies? Wurm Online does allow for PvP and yes, that's an important aspect of the game but by no means does it mean you can allowed to be a jerk, attack who you want, even your own team, and be able to get away with it with no repercussions. If you want to do that, you'd be better off playing EVE Online.

My question is simple. Why do people want to waste their efforts on attacking their allies when their talents would be better suited in dealing with their enemies? Wurm Online does allow for PvP and yes, that's an important aspect of the game but by no means does it mean you can allowed to be a jerk, attack who you want, even your own team, and be able to get away with it with no repercussions. If you want to do that, you'd be better off playing EVE Online.

they want free loot