Sign in to follow this  
Coastis

Weird Tile Glitching Whilst Moving

I tried running Wurm on the new laptop last night, however i am experiencing a weird tile glitching issue whilst i move. It is hard to explain exactly so i've taken some screenshots as below....

When i first load into the client, the graphics render fine and i can spin around looking about and they render fine as can be seen below....

wurm_20130719_1722_1.jpg

....however as soon as i start moving, the issues begin and hopefully the screenies below illustrate them...

wurm_20130719_1723.jpg

wurm_20130719_1723_1.jpg

wurm_20130719_1723_2.jpg

wurm_20130719_1723_3.jpg

I'm using the latest intel hd 4000 graphics drivers and have tried disable VBO,FBO and Pbuffer support in various combinations without success. Using 64bit java and the unstable client and if there is anything else you need to know just ask!

Cheers :)

(issue update)

[11:08:18] bob:       ... everthing renders fine in a 1 tile radius, then the next 20 tiles radius is all messed up, and beyond that fine again....i thought was some sort of lighting option and fiddled with shadows and everything but no luck

[10:48:28] Kagranac:    http://pastebin.com/3avp6nCh
[10:48:32] Kagranac:    here is my gamesettings file

[11:04:27] bob:        sadly ... hasn't fixed the graphics glitch, however it does appear to be running a lot smoother, so thx for that!

Following discussion edited for easy reading:

conversation on wurm settings

[10:42:29] Kagrana:    intel hd graphics
[10:43:33] bob:        ... i've tried disabling a bunch of stuff under compatability, but so far no joy
[10:44:29] Kagrana:    tried glsl off?
[10:44:49] bob:        yes i have to have that off otherwise the fps is almost unplayable
[10:46:59] bob:        its a new laptop from amazon, just a few months old
[10:47:13] Kagrana:    intel integrated graphics does strange things with wurm
[10:48:28] Kagranac:    http://pastebin.com/3avp6nCh
[10:48:32] Kagranac:    here is my gamesettings file
[10:48:43] Kagranac:    I have 3000 not 4000, but worth a try i guess
[10:49:18] bob:        hmm, and i just paste that over my current settings? Is definately worth a try yes, i'm at a loss otherwise
[10:49:24] Kagranac:    yeah
[10:57:47] bob:        alright, going to restart and try....fingers crossed!
[10:58:03]        bob has left irc.rizon.net
[11:03:56]        bob has joined #wurm
[11:04:27] bob:        sadly ... hasn't fixed the graphics glitch, however it does appear to be running a lot smoother, so thx for that!

**conversation split**

conversation on hardware software

[10:46:37] Velice:    Let me ask you have you redone your pc?
[10:46:59] bob:        no its a new laptop from amazon, just a few months old
[10:47:23] bob:        hardly a gaming laptop mind, i should add
[10:47:50] Velicea:    what op you using?
[10:48:05] bob:        ... i'm using win 8
[10:50:05] Velicea:    Try this go to microsoft and find and download the dirextx 9.0c driver
[10:50:45] Velicea:    my friends laptop is a intel graphics as well and he couldn't play and had lag issue till he downloaded it
[10:50:57] bob:        alrighty, the DirectX 9.0c End-User Runtime ?
[10:51:02] Velicea:    yes
[10:51:08] bob:        ok, let me try that
[10:51:27] Velicea:    the new 10 and 11 dont have some stuff in them and that will add what they dont include
[10:52:05] bob:        oh nice, sounds promising
[10:52:15] Velicea:    example people who play EQ with giant cards normally have to download it cause theres alot of 9.0c in it
[10:57:47] bob:        alright, going to restart and try....fingers crossed!
[10:58:03]        bob has left irc.rizon.net
[11:03:56]         bob has joined #wurm
[11:04:27] bob:        sadly the direct x update hasn't fixed the graphics glitch
[11:05:04] Velicea:    you on a laptop bob?
[11:05:15] bob:        yes
[11:05:49] Velicea:    is it using the intel graphics or the onboard video card my friend also has to do something to tell it to use the card instead of the intel stuff
[11:06:16] bob:        i dont have a sepearte graphics card in it so presume it is using the intel hd?
[11:06:33] Velicea:    he has a geforce 400 or 500 on his and he has to do something to tell it to use the geforce
[11:07:04] Velicea:    I don't do intel so im not really sure what he has to do and all
[11:07:21] bob:        oh, yes i think i read something in the fourms about that
[11:08:09] Velicea:    he can run a ton of games on that intel driver but when it came to wurm he had to change it to the geforce card
[11:08:18] bob:        it's an odd one for sure, everthing renders fine in a 1 tile radius, then the next 20 tiles radius is all messed up, and beyond that fine again....i thought was some sort of lighting option and fiddled with shadows and everything but no luck
[11:08:43] bob:        hehe, i knew i should have went for the version with sep graphics card
[11:09:18] Velicea:    I my self am a Amd fan
[11:12:56] bob:        yes this is the first intel i've had for a long time...oh well, hopefully somebody will wonder by my fourm and post and be able to identify the issue...thx for the help all
[11:27:25] KamikaziFly:    wurmonline can't be running directX since it is not platform dependent.
[11:29:20] KamikaziFly:    ... wurm uses java, and runs on linux, ... its ... openGL...

Edited by Kamikazifly

Quick update, i tried the settings that are shown in the above pastebin, which is basically everything on low as possible and the problem still exists, though the radius of the circle of tile glitching is somewhat smaller.

Console log attached, thanks!

Time is Thu Jul 25 03:25:40 BST 2013Running client version 3.24=== System information ===Executing from C:\Users\USERNAME\Desktop\Operating system: Windows 8 (arch: amd64, version: 6.2)Java version: 1.7.0_25 (Oracle Corporation) <http://java.oracle.com/>Jvm version: 23.25-b01 (Oracle Corporation) [Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM]Available CPUs: 4>>> Main thread exiting.Loading character IhoLoading config defaultLoading props file D:\Wurm\configs\default\gamesettings.txtLoading props file D:\Wurm\players\Iho\password.txt>>> LoginFrame queue entry exiting.Saving props file D:\Wurm\players\Iho\password.txtSaving props file D:\Wurm\configs\default\gamesettings.txtLoaded pack sound.jar (r1)Loaded pack pmk.jar (r1428)Loaded pack graphics.jar (r1428)Options up-to-date!Loading props file D:\Wurm\players\Iho\playerdata.txtLoading props file D:\Wurm\players\Iho\stats.txtPreparing to enable console logging.Now logging to D:\Wurm\console.Iho.log=== Wurm options ===animation_playback_self = 0auto_mipmaps_enabled = 2auto_run_source = 0cavedetail = 1censor_chat = truecloud_shadows = falsecollada_animations = 2color_black = 0.0,0.0,0.0color_cyan = 0.0,1.0,1.0color_error = 1.0,0.3,0.3color_fuchsia = 1.0,0.0,1.0color_green = 0.08,1.0,0.08color_grey = 0.5,0.5,0.5color_lime = 0.0,1.0,0.0color_maroon = 0.5,0.0,0.0color_navy_blue = 0.23,0.39,1.0color_orange = 1.0,0.5,0.0color_purple = 0.5,0.0,0.5color_red = 1.0,0.0,0.0color_royal_blue = 0.23,0.39,1.0color_silver = 0.75,0.75,0.75color_system = 0.5,1.0,0.5color_teal = 0.0,0.5,0.5color_white = 1.0,1.0,1.0color_yellow = 1.0,1.0,0.0compressed_textures = falsecompressed_textures_S3TC = truecustim_timer_source = 1customTimer1 = -1|-1customTimer2 = -1|-1customTimer3 = -1|-1customTimer4 = -1|-1customTimer5 = -1|-1debug_mode = falsedepth_clamp_enabled = 2display_settings = false:false:0:1600:900:32:60:true:falseenable_debugs = falseenable_shift_drag = falseenable_vsync = trueengine_multithreaded = 0event_log_rotation = 2exec_source = 0fast_yield = falsefbo_enabled = 2fog_coord_src = 0font_antialias = 2font_bold = 11font_default = 13font_header = 24font_italian = 11font_monospaced = 11font_static = 13fov_horizontal = 90fps_limit = 60fps_limit_background = 30fps_limit_enabled = truegame_client_thread_priority = 2glsl_enabled = 0gpu_skinning = truegui_opacity = 3gui_skin = 1has_read_eula = truehide_inactive_friends = falsehide_menu_examine = falsehide_menu_no_target = falsehide_menu_spam_mode = truehide_menu_stop = falsehigh_res_binoculars = falsehint_texture_scaling = 2impColumn = trueinverse_mouse = falseirc_log_rotation = 2irc_notif = 0item_creature_render_distance = 2key_bindings_source = 0keyboard_layout = 0loadInventoryStartup = truelocal_list_in_event = falselog_extra_errors = falselog_gl_errors = falsemark_text_read = truematerial_as_suffix = truemax_texture_size = 3mega_texture_size = 4model_loader_thread_priority = 2model_loading_threads = 1multidraw_enabled = 2no_brightness = falseno_terrain_render = falseno_world_render = falsenon_power_of_two = 2occlusion_queries_enabled = 2offscreen_texture_size = 0other_log_rotation = 2outline_picking = truepbuffer_enabled = falseplayer_texture_size = 2reflection_texture_size = 2reflections = 2release_context = falserelease_context_on_jogl_sleep = falseremember_password = truerender_distant_terrain = truerender_glow = falserender_sun_glare = falseresident_models = falsesave_skills_on_quit = falsescreenshot_file_format = 1season_override = 0send_extra_tile_data = falsesetting_timestamps = truesettings_version = 3shadow_level = 0shift_drag_default = 10showKChat = trueshow_body_in_inventory = falseshow_old_quickbar = falsesilent_friends_update = falseskillgain_minimum = 5skillgain_no_alignment = trueskillgain_no_favor = trueskydetail = 1sound_al_gain = 9sound_buzzlevel = 2sound_cache_enabled = truesound_doppler_enabled = falsesound_engine = 2sound_footstepslevel = 10sound_music_level = 5sound_play_ambients = truesound_play_buzz = truesound_play_combat = truesound_play_door = truesound_play_emotes = truesound_play_footsteps = truesound_play_music = falsesound_play_weather = truesound_play_work = truestipple_enabled = truestructure_render_distance = 2submit_client_data = 1terrain_bump = trueterrain_res = 2test_attach_equipment = falsetest_mode = 0tile_transitions = truetiledecorations = 2togglePushToTalk = truetreelist_outline = truetrees = 2update_optional = trueuse_alpha_particles = trueuse_anisotropic_filtering = 0use_antialiasing = 0use_color_picking = trueuse_fast_clock_work_around = trueuse_fbo_color_picking = trueuse_fbo_reflections = trueuse_nagles_algorithm = falseuse_nano_timer = falseuse_non_alpha_particles = trueuse_phobia_models = falseuse_tree_models = trueuse_weather_particles = falsevbo_enabled = 2viewport_bob = truewater_detail = 1Setting up dotXSI Model LoaderSetting up Collada Model LoaderExecuting D:\Wurm\configs\default\keybindings.txtTranslating legacy key ENTER to RETURNTranslating legacy key PAGE_UP to PRIORTranslating legacy key PAGE_DOWN to NEXTWord filter loaded: 23Starting job manager with 3 worker threads>>> Launch queue entry exiting.Using LWJGL display 1600:900:32:60 (true)Setting up OpenAL Sound EngineOpenAL version: 1.1 ALSOFT 1.15.1OpenAL renderer: OpenAL SoftOpenAL vendor: OpenAL CommunityOpenAL extensions: AL_EXT_ALAW AL_EXT_DOUBLE AL_EXT_EXPONENT_DISTANCE AL_EXT_FLOAT32 AL_EXT_IMA4 AL_EXT_LINEAR_DISTANCE AL_EXT_MCFORMATS AL_EXT_MULAW AL_EXT_MULAW_MCFORMATS AL_EXT_OFFSET AL_EXT_source_distance_model AL_LOKI_quadriphonic AL_SOFT_buffer_samples AL_SOFT_buffer_sub_data AL_SOFTX_deferred_updates AL_SOFT_direct_channels AL_SOFT_loop_points AL_SOFT_source_latencyGenerating: 128 source channels.=== OpenGL information ===LWJGL version: 2.9.0Adapter info: igdumdim64 (9.18.10.3071)OpenGL vendor: IntelOpenGL renderer: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000OpenGL version: 4.0.0 - Build 9.18.10.3071OpenGL extensions:    GL_EXT_blend_minmax    GL_EXT_blend_subtract    GL_EXT_blend_color    GL_EXT_abgr    GL_EXT_texture3D    GL_EXT_clip_volume_hint    GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array    GL_SGIS_texture_edge_clamp    GL_SGIS_generate_mipmap    GL_EXT_draw_range_elements    GL_SGIS_texture_lod    GL_EXT_rescale_normal    GL_EXT_packed_pixels    GL_EXT_texture_edge_clamp    GL_EXT_separate_specular_color    GL_ARB_multitexture    GL_ARB_map_buffer_alignment    GL_ARB_conservative_depth    GL_EXT_texture_env_combine    GL_EXT_bgra    GL_EXT_blend_func_separate    GL_EXT_secondary_color    GL_EXT_fog_coord    GL_EXT_texture_env_add    GL_ARB_texture_cube_map    GL_ARB_transpose_matrix    GL_ARB_internalformat_query    GL_ARB_texture_env_add    GL_IBM_texture_mirrored_repeat    GL_EXT_multi_draw_arrays    GL_SUN_multi_draw_arrays    GL_NV_blend_square    GL_ARB_texture_compression    GL_3DFX_texture_compression_FXT1    GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic    GL_ARB_texture_border_clamp    GL_ARB_point_parameters    GL_ARB_texture_env_combine    GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3    GL_ARB_texture_env_crossbar    GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc    GL_ARB_shadow    GL_ARB_window_pos    GL_EXT_shadow_funcs    GL_EXT_stencil_wrap    GL_ARB_vertex_program    GL_EXT_texture_rectangle    GL_ARB_fragment_program    GL_EXT_stencil_two_side    GL_ATI_separate_stencil    GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object    GL_EXT_texture_lod_bias    GL_ARB_occlusion_query    GL_ARB_fragment_shader    GL_ARB_shader_objects    GL_ARB_shading_language_100    GL_ARB_texture_non_power_of_two    GL_ARB_vertex_shader    GL_NV_texgen_reflection    GL_ARB_point_sprite    GL_ARB_fragment_program_shadow    GL_EXT_blend_equation_separate    GL_ARB_depth_texture    GL_ARB_texture_rectangle    GL_ARB_draw_buffers    GL_ARB_color_buffer_float    GL_ARB_half_float_pixel    GL_ARB_texture_float    GL_ARB_pixel_buffer_object    GL_EXT_framebuffer_object    GL_ARB_draw_instanced    GL_ARB_half_float_vertex    GL_ARB_occlusion_query2    GL_EXT_draw_buffers2    GL_WIN_swap_hint    GL_EXT_texture_sRGB    GL_ARB_multisample    GL_EXT_packed_float    GL_EXT_texture_shared_exponent    GL_ARB_texture_rg    GL_ARB_texture_compression_rgtc    GL_NV_conditional_render    GL_EXT_texture_swizzle    GL_ARB_texture_gather    GL_ARB_sync    GL_ARB_framebuffer_sRGB    GL_EXT_packed_depth_stencil    GL_ARB_depth_buffer_float    GL_EXT_transform_feedback    GL_ARB_transform_feedback2    GL_ARB_draw_indirect    GL_EXT_framebuffer_blit    GL_EXT_framebuffer_multisample    GL_ARB_framebuffer_object    GL_EXT_texture_array    GL_EXT_texture_integer    GL_ARB_map_buffer_range    GL_EXT_texture_snorm    GL_ARB_blend_func_extended    GL_INTEL_performance_queries    GL_ARB_copy_buffer    GL_ARB_sampler_objects    GL_NV_primitive_restart    GL_ARB_seamless_cube_map    GL_ARB_uniform_buffer_object    GL_ARB_depth_clamp    GL_ARB_vertex_array_bgra    GL_ARB_shader_bit_encoding    GL_ARB_draw_buffers_blend    GL_ARB_geometry_shader4    GL_EXT_geometry_shader4    GL_ARB_texture_query_lod    GL_ARB_explicit_attrib_location    GL_ARB_draw_elements_base_vertex    GL_ARB_instanced_arrays    GL_ARB_base_instance    GL_ARB_fragment_coord_conventions    GL_EXT_gpu_program_parameters    GL_ARB_texture_buffer_object_rgb32    GL_ARB_compatibility    GL_ARB_texture_rgb10_a2ui    GL_ARB_texture_multisample    GL_ARB_vertex_type_2_10_10_10_rev    GL_ARB_timer_query    GL_ARB_tessellation_shader    GL_ARB_vertex_array_object    GL_ARB_provoking_vertex    GL_ARB_sample_shading    GL_ARB_texture_cube_map_array    GL_ARB_gpu_shader5    GL_ARB_gpu_shader_fp64    GL_ARB_shader_subroutine    GL_ARB_transform_feedback3    GL_ARB_transform_feedback_instanced    GL_EXT_texture_storage    GL_ARB_texture_storage    GL_INTEL_map_texture    GL_ARB_ES2_compatibilityLoaded material material.mesh.defaultMissing required resourceLoaded material material.mesh.skinLoaded material material.mesh.skin_solidLoaded material material.mesh.skin_rareLoaded material material.mesh.staticLoaded material material.mesh.static_solidLoaded material material.mesh.static_rareLoaded material material.mesh.tex0Loaded material material.mesh.vegetationLaunching dotXSI Model Loader threadsLaunching Collada Model Loader threadsStarting workaround for fast running clocksUsing LWJGL timer.Initialized mouse with 5 buttons.Experimental direct buffer cleaner init successfulStartup Phase - Setting up..Initializing font texture for SansSerif (13). Texture Size: 512Initializing font texture for SansSerif (13, italic). Texture Size: 128Loading window positions from D:\Wurm\players\Iho\windows_1600x900.txtLoading props file D:\Wurm\players\Iho\windows_1600x900.txtGui initializedStartup Phase - Preparing terrainStartup Phase - Connecting ..Disabling NaglesWriting to D:\Wurm\players\Iho\logs\_Event.2013-07.txtDisabling NaglesWriting to D:\Wurm\players\Iho\logs\Alliance.2013-07.txtLogin successfulExecuting D:\Wurm\configs\default\autorun.txtStarting update of login splash image...Writing to D:\Wurm\players\Iho\logs\_Friends.2013-07.txtWriting to D:\Wurm\players\Iho\logs\CA_HELP.2013-07.txtFinished loading new login splash image!No mapping found for hair6Writing to D:\Wurm\players\Iho\logs\_Skills.2013-07.txtWriting to D:\Wurm\players\Iho\logs\GL-Freedom.2013-07.txtNo mapping found for hair6Writing to D:\Wurm\players\Iho\logs\Freedom.2013-07.txtWriting to D:\Wurm\players\Iho\logs\_Combat.2013-07.txtInitializing font texture for SansSerif (13, bold). Texture Size: 128Quit confirmed, closing client. (This is usually from going to sleep.)Time is Thu Jul 25 05:08:36 BST 2013Performing final cleanup after playing  1h 39mSaving props file D:\Wurm\players\Iho\playerdata.txtSaving props file D:\Wurm\configs\default\gamesettings.txtSaving props file D:\Wurm\players\Iho\stats.txtSaving window positions to D:\Wurm\players\Iho\windows_1600x900.txtSaving props file D:\Wurm\players\Iho\windows_1600x900.txtDestroying game windowShutting down OpenAL subsystem.XSI Model Loader Thread exited.XSI Model Loader Thread exited.Collada Model Loader exited.Collada Model Loader exited.Job executor 0 terminatingJob executor 1 terminatingJob executor 2 terminatingRunning garbage collector...Running finalization...Fast Clock Workaround Thread exited.Goodbye.Exit.WARNING: OpenAL was already stopped.

Edited  by Coastis

your log misses the === Wurm options === part.

I have the same issue. I'm on a Surface Pro, and from what I can gather, the tiles that are loaded when I first log in seem to stay with me when I move throughout the game. That is, they seem to overlay themselves on all other textures (except for the two-tile radius around my avatar).

w1jA7IJ.jpg

your log misses the === Wurm options === part.

Woops, i think i pasted the wrong console, i've now added the full info, thanks!

Edited by Coastis

Hi I am having the same issue, have tried all different graphics and compatibility settings (including pbuffer support) have tried 32 and 64 bit java, updating graphics drivers, etc. nothing seems to work. This is on a intel HD 4600 gpu. Any other suggestions?

I know Wurm does not like Intel Graphics Cards. Mine never worked. But no clue as to why the nvidia card is not working.

I spoke with a GM about this and said they had no knowledge of this glitch, he told me he'd forward it to the devs and to watch this post. Hopefully he follows through. Even the new 4th gen intel HD 4400 graphics have this issue. It makes the game hard to play and completely unplayable at night, at least for me.

Within the last week i was able to resolve my glitch problems by manually updating the display driver via the device manager in windows control panel \o/

Well it seems I am experiencing this glitch now :(  

I had no issues until I decided to try turning off the GLSL shader, since at the time I appeared to be having issues with my walls looking like they were shiny metallic surfaces.

Starting to wish I left them that way because now no matter what I do, the textures shift, jump, snap, whatever you want to call it... looks like the picture posted above but only when I move.  To me it appears to be a lighting issue since everything gets brighter and then a little darker.  

I have an NVIDIA Geforce GTX 650 graphics card so i'm positive it's not my card... I hope there's a solution to this soon :(

Oh i've also updated drivers, re-installed wurm etc etc

It is most likely already known this issue. Furthermore don't expect many of these people if any to read this thread again, it hasn't been touched for nearly two months :P

Edited by Shrimpiie

probably but we cant stay with this problem :\

It is most likely already known this issue. Furthermore don't expect many of these people if any to read this thread again, it hasn't been touched for nearly two months :P

For what it's worth, Schwanke has made some progress on (and supposedly solved) what I believe to be the same issue this thread is about, so I'd recommend you read Schwanke's posts in the following thread:

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/81412-strange-graphic-issue-with-tiles-while-moving/

I'm pretty sure this thread is about the same issue Schwanke posted about, though I don't think it's the same as the original issue in that other thread.  They do have a similar symptom (the terrain glitches), though.

The original issue in that thread seemed to be a Mac-specific issue in which FBOs and Pbuffers were interfering with each other.

This newer issue which this thread is about does not seem specific to Macs.  I've noticed people encountering it report using either an Intel or Nvidia graphics chipset, and many mention using laptops.  In some cases they also mention Nvidia Optimus (a technology for switching between multiple graphics chipsets in a laptop, typically used with an Nvidia graphics chipset and an Intel graphics chipset).  While reading up on Optimus, I found that it works a bit differently than traditional graphics switching solutions, and it is actually possible for multiple graphics chipsets to be in use at the same time with Optimus.  More specifically, it always uses the low-end graphics chipset for displays, but only switches the higher-end one on as needed, sending output from the higher-end chipset to the low-end one.  I'm not sure if the issue is due to problems with the individual graphics chipsets and/or their drivers or due to problems with the way Optimus is interacting with them.

Nvidia has a whitepaper in PDF format on its site giving an overview of how Optimus works.  It can be found here (will redirect to the PDF file):

http://www.nvidia.com/object/LO_optimus_whitepapers.html

• Like 1