Sign in to follow this  
redchance

Quartz: 2Nd Most Abundant Mineral On Earth Forgotten

I have went into extensive research and there is a valuable mineral missing from the game: Quartz is a very useful mineral used throughout all ages, mainly in glass, but also in making cement/mortar as a good substitute for sand, also when struck against iron, it makes a spark and this was the MOST reliable way to make fire from prehistoric times up to when matches were created NOT a steel and flint, gold and silver were often found within quartz mines along with other jewels that otherwise don't just form in plain rock. But nobody thinks of quartz when they think of useful metals, we could create glass structures if this was added into the game, glass items. It was also popularly used in stone cutting because you can make a sharp edge with it. This would also be an easier way to produce mortar without making the trip out for sand and since its a realistic addition that was popularly used in medieval times and earlier, people cant complain that it does not fit the game. I also saw sandpaper as a use, but not sure if that's more of a modern thing. 

Basically, i want Quartz as an addition mineable tile in the game.

Main References:

http://www.geo.umn.edu/courses/1001/minerals/quartz.shtml

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quartz

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_quartz_used_for

I would say to add feldspar (number 1 most abundent mineral) but it isn't as useful as quartz, because its only real use is pottery

Edited by redchance

Glass is already in the planning, and I assume it will use sand.

also when struck against iron, it makes a spark and this was the MOST reliable way to make fire from prehistoric times up to when matches were created NOT a steel and flint
Well we do have steel and flint, so it's kind of redundant.

I don't see the need to add quartz really. Just because it's abundant here on Earth, doesn't mean it needs to be in Wurm. I see no advantage to adding it.

Some eye candy?

We have eye candy on grass and dirt... Maybe rock can too.

• Like 1

Yes but if you haven't looked up sand, most of it is quartz, just broken up quartz, but why should we mine and not see any quartz, you would never mine in real life and not run into some crystal formations. Also instead of having to pick up clay and sand to make your mortar, you can simply mine it in your mine

Edited by redchance

Yes but if you haven't looked up sand, most of it is quartz, just broken up quartz, but why should we mine and not see any quartz, you would never mine in real life and not run into some crystal formations. Also instead of having to pick up clay and sand to make your mortar, you can simply mine it in your mine

ok you just contradicted yourself there.......so quartz is in the game in 2 forms sand and flint

• Like 1

Also there would be a chance gold veins are quartz tiles.

I'm with Hordern on this one - all the suggested uses for quartz here can equally be covered by sand or flint. There's no sense in duplicating features just for the sake of mirroring Earth.

• Like 1

ok you just contradicted yourself there.......so quartz is in the game in 2 forms sand and flint

There is no reason to add Quartz as all the commerical properties attributed to it are currently fulfilled by other items/materials in the game.

I have an idea: Foraging could sometimes find quarts, and by combining a quarts with a rock you could make a crude flint and steel.

Glass is already in the planning, and I assume it will use sand.

Well we do have steel and flint, so it's kind of redundant.

I don't see the need to add quartz really. Just because it's abundant here on Earth, doesn't mean it needs to be in Wurm. I see no advantage to adding it.

Whoooo glass!

Anyways, in regards to the OP, Id love to see more variety in everything: flora, fauna, minerals, and whatever... regardless of its usage.

Sure unique usage is fine and all; however, there's nothing wrong with crossover. People will use whatever they can get their hands on.

I think what the OP wants are Quartz mine tiles, which can be mined, then somehow rendered down into sand, to be used for mortar or glass, or whatever.

I'd say +1 to that.

yes, but flint and steel are one of those things you cant make without a flint and steel, i feel like at least a crude 1 should be makeable which could be solved by a "quartz and iron" added to the game to make fires, and yes but sand was not used for making stained glass which was used in the very decorative churches and other ancient buildings of the world, you also do not see many of the gems in sand like you would in a quartz mine including amethyst and citrine, the birthstones for February and November.

content_1292539365.jpg

content_1294192453.jpgcontent_1294192368.jpgcontent_1294192725.jpg

content_1292539534.jpgcontent_1294192424.jpg

content_1294185498.jpgcontent_1294185260.jpg

All of these are quartz, and many are beautiful gems. Even if quartz is not added to the game I like the idea of making colored glass in game, over just painting it. You actually have to add things to the glass while you heat, like green glass has an addition of iron oxide (just make it iron) and red is achieved with gold, silver gives a yellow color, tin oxide (just use tin) gives a white color, addition of copper oxide gives a blue-turquoise color, even lead can be used to make purple glass, the lack of cobalt or nickel in this game make black paint not an option unless some mythical ingredient is added besides that those are all the realistic stained glass colors

even sometimes mining quartz at the same time as you mine other tiles would be nice, kinda like how you get rock salt

This message brought to you by

Quartz

"The Most useless material of the medieval times."

-1 here

• Like 1

and farmer yes thats the main thing i want

how about adding flint to rummage for surface rock tiles, when combined with iron rock makes a Crude fire starter

that would be nice too i just feel there should atleast be a way to make a temporary steel and flint so u can make the ones we have now

Would it be wrong of me to point out one small fact that seems to have been overlooked?

This is not Earth.

I'd rather see Salt Blocks than quartz. We already use salt but if we had a better way of obtaining it, It would be nice.

I'd rather see Salt Blocks than quartz. We already use salt but if we had a better way of obtaining it, It would be nice.

That would be easy enough.  Cook water.  Just water, nothing else, and it evaporates into salt.

All of Wurm's water is in one water table, it's got to be salty.

That would be easy enough.  Cook water.  Just water, nothing else, and it evaporates into salt.

All of Wurm's water is in one water table, it's got to be salty.

Not necessarily.. maybe that is why the gods provide salt for prayers... wurm is on a fresh water table!  (and yes I know fresh water is still salty, just less salty)

Would be interesting to maybe have flat land at [(water table depth)+1 dirt] or even at water level, and to be able to cultivate it to be a salt farm.  As you remove the salt that forms, the dirt level drops and has to be replenished/replaced to be cultivated again (replaces the seeds normally used in farming).

I was thinking mining do to we have long miles of salt flats and still to this day mine for salt underground in the salt mines. Simple salt vien. Easy coding most all code is there already.