Sign in to follow this  
crustulummonstri

Animal Feeding

Hey guys. Don't know if you guys agree but if you do post a comment.  B) 

Yes animals can graze.... but they can tear through grass like nothin'. I know some of ya'll are thinking plant something but that's a pain too because you have to take care of your fields.

Some people cant get online very much because they're too busy. I was thinking that the Creators of wurm could come up with a little animal feeder that you can build in the game. I would think it could be made of wood but they are much more intelligent than I am so if yall have better ideas go ahead and post them below. 

Been suggested many times before. However I am against it. If you can't take care of your animals by allowing them grazing area, then maybe you should not have the animals. Replanting the tile is just simple upkeep, much the same way the one repairs items on deed like bsbs, ovens, forges ect.

An easy way I take care of my grazing animals is to plant steppe for them, since it is very easy to accumulate large amount of mixed grass, and I have also found that I can go about a week without tending to the pens. Yes they will be all packed, the animals will not be in the starving stage, and it only takes half an hour to fix the pens.

Maybe not for grazing animals but for the meat eaters Id like to have a dog bowl to drop it's food in and he be programmed to go to his bowl when hes hungry enough and eat. Maybe lower the decay rate of the meat you drop in the bowl some so it will decay slower.

For pig farmers a small wooden animal feeder they can throw corn pumpkin you name if a pig can eat it you can drop it in and they can like the dog run to them when there hungry. Maybe add a new tile texture. Example when grazers eat the grass they pack it down but a pig would make a mud tile. In order to fix such a tile you might have to farm it then pack it then resoil it with a dirt clump to turn it back to soil.

Edited by Arkonick
  • Like 2

Maybe not for grazing animals but for the meat eaters Id like to have a dog bowl to drop it's food in and he be programmed to go to his bowl when hes hungry enough and eat. Maybe lower the decay rate of the meat you drop in the bowl some so it will decay slower.

For pig farmers a small wooden animal feeder they can throw corn pumpkin you name if a pig can eat it you can drop it in and they can like the dog run to them when there hungry. Maybe add a new tile texture. Example when grazers eat the grass they pack it down but a pig would make a mud tile. In order to fix such a tile you might have to farm it then pack it then resoil it with a dirt clump to turn it back to soil.

what's wrong with just a pile on the ground?

-1 to autofeeders

a 3x3 with 2 animals will last me a week or more without needing tending, 1 maybe 2 or 3 tiles will be packed down but the animals are still fat

what's wrong with just a pile on the ground?

-1 to autofeeders

a 3x3 with 2 animals will last me a week or more without needing tending, 1 maybe 2 or 3 tiles will be packed down but the animals are still fat

Actually there is nothing wrong. We can keep Wurm bare plain add nothing to capture anyone's eye's to make them want to play wurm an let wurm die over time.

Wurm attracts new players every time something new was added like all mmo's out there. People play them for a while if nothing is added new people get board and go play something else.

But the suggestion page is for suggestions to get ideas to attract new players and to prevent old players of getting board. This suggestion wouldn't even stop you from having to drop your meat on the ground or raise your pigs the way you want but the addition might be good for someone else. Just a thought.

also sometimes animals like hens/pigs just wonder away from pile on the ground and stop eating. The only way to prevent it is to keep them in 1x1 pens or houses but you can't keep many of them in one place or they will get decease. So to keep them healthy i will need to plant alot of 1x1 pens/houses so deed would look ugly. If feeding containers for non-grazers will be combined with AI improvement so animals when they hungry first look for it and try to eat from container that would be nice solution for such trouble (maybe will need to make so they walk away a few tiles after eating so they don't crowd on one tile)

also sometimes animals like hens/pigs just wonder away from pile on the ground and stop eating. The only way to prevent it is to keep them in 1x1 pens or houses but you can't keep many of them in one place or they will get decease. So to keep them healthy i will need to plant alot of 1x1 pens/houses so deed would look ugly. If feeding containers for non-grazers will be combined with AI improvement so animals when they hungry first look for it and try to eat from container that would be nice solution for such trouble (maybe will need to make so they walk away a few tiles after eating so they don't crowd on one tile)

When you said hen a idea slapped in my head so I need to mention it before I lose it.

For hens a new wooden structure could be made like a small hen house close to the size of a FSB with a ramp. Hens could then flock to this square and have a higher limit for the hen on this single tile. Hen houses hold multiple hens. Maybe add a new Item from hens laying eggs while at that square and eating per chance every time they feed they leave a egg in the hen house and you can collect them and use them in a food dish.

Heres a brief sketch of what I was thinking even tho the art team could do a lot better this is just to make the idea more physical to the eye.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ii1hS4__cTw&feature=youtu.be

Edited by Arkonick

chicken coops have been suggested before and you can vote on things http://wurmonline.uservoice.com/forums/12046-wurmonline

and i still say -1 to autofeeders if you can't do it yourself or pay someone to do it, then get rid of it

Not all players have enough time to play everyday. Dont try to limit others who have work / family to take care about. Hens eat very often when laying eggs and if you have more than 2 hens in same pen it's very complicated to feed it in time 

P.S. If you seen pig only in zoo or in form of steak try to raise it in real life without feeder before saying no. Feeders for domestic animals were invented long before medieval age so they completely fit game setting

Edited by Jerrywalker
  • Like 1

Not all players have enough time to play everyday. Dont try to limit others who have work / family to take care about. Hens eat very often when laying eggs and if you have more than 2 hens in same pen it's very complicated to feed it in time 

P.S. If you seen pig only in zoo or in form of steak try to raise it in real life without feeder before saying no. Feeders for domestic animals were invented long before medieval age so they completely fit game setting

Totally agree with you

chicken coops have been suggested before and you can vote on things http://wurmonline.uservoice.com/forums/12046-wurmonline

and i still say -1 to autofeeders if you can't do it yourself or pay someone to do it, then get rid of it

When a Game becomes a second job it no longer is a enjoyable experience. By: Arkonik

Not everyone who plays wurm wants to spend there pay check every week nor do they want to come home from work and work a second job in game. When something fun turns into a chore it is no longer fun and relaxing.

-1 to any autofeeders...

meat eaters you're doing it wrong dropping piles of meat anyhow...hand feed they only eat 1-2 meat a day and stay fat...Drop piles..they wander away and eat way more than they do when hand feeding anyhow..

-1 to any autofeeders...

meat eaters you're doing it wrong dropping piles of meat anyhow...hand feed they only eat 1-2 meat a day and stay fat...Drop piles..they wander away and eat way more than they do when hand feeding anyhow..

ya but they don't even want to do that

edit: and i still say if you can't do it yourself, or pay someone to do it(doesn't have to be coin), GET RID OF IT

PS: my grandmother raised pig and waking up at 4am to go feed em was something i've done everytime i've visited her and my mother did that for 20 year before she moved out, only LRAGE pig farms use Autofeeders

Edited by Deth666

ya but they don't even want to do that

edit: and i still say if you can't do it yourself, or pay someone to do it(doesn't have to be coin), GET RID OF IT

PS: my grandmother raised pig and waking up at 4am to go feed em was something i've done everytime i've visited her and my mother did that for 20 year before she moved out, only LRAGE pig farms use Autofeeders

so you were scattering pig food all over yard or hand-feed it ? I'm pretty sure you were just putting contents of bucket to some kind of trough from which pig ate

Well we dont live on a ranch and some of us have chores and a job and a family not a game to spend money on sitting infront of a screen eating patatoe chips all day

As one can see such suggestions in the past have met with much resistance, especially in regards to fears of monster hordes of animals kept. Granted such is a valid concern given the animal caps and past history.

However, I've never really felt any kind of feed container would be a problem since they would have to be refilled. Don't even need to add a new container really. If grazers were enabled to eat out of any "open" container, then something like the huge tub would suffice.

Of course feeding trough have to be refilled. It needed only to make sure that animals will come to it and feed from it when they want to eat (assuming player put some food in it) and walk away after feeding. This way we get rid of crowding trouble and making alot of 1x1 pens allowing many hens/pigs be held in same big pen without bugs

so you were scattering pig food all over yard or hand-feed it ? I'm pretty sure you were just putting contents of bucket to some kind of trough from which pig ate

no i filled a trough with food but it needed to be filled daily you guys are talking about filling it for a week or more and they would eat a weeks worth of food in a day

no i filled a trough with food but it needed to be filled daily you guys are talking about filling it for a week or more and they would eat a weeks worth of food in a day

What's so bad if they eat 2-3 times more from such trough ? It will be choice for player - use food efficient by feeding manually on daily basis or spend much more food per day but be able to do it once per 3-4 days. 

I don't recall the OP or any of us saying a feeder feeding for a week or so. Food would decay at it's normal rate not stored in a container but we did say to lower the decay rate for it being in a container rather than on the ground.