Sign in to follow this  
DefImp

Village Offices

Brace yourself, its time for another of Imp's crazy ideas. I propose...wait for it...village offices! The idea is simple, take the same implementation for the Kingdom, and apply a smaller-scale version of it (less offices, less power) to villages themselves. Maybe even add a few new unique abilities that would be cool on the village level. Like all of my suggestions, I would propose if this is considered seriously, that the portions of it that are simple to implement should be implemented quickly.

Maybe each position filled increases deed upkeep by X copper a month. Also, it should be noted that all of the titles have a Skyrim theme.

Examples:

Huscarl- A bodyguard position. This guy protects the village chief, and gets a +2 CR bonus when on deed proper. While he is near the mayor, the mayor takes slightly less damage from attacks. Only one such position.

Thane- An honor title. A great way to show your appreciation to the hero of your few acres. This guy gets a +1 CR bonus. Maybe three such positions available. 

Steward- One such position, handles the day to day goings on of the deed. This guy gets -2 seconds from his counter to build wooden walls, and -1 seconds from his counter to build stone walls. He automatically gets a copy of the mayor's abilities in terms of deed management. One such position available.

Just an interesting idea. One of my players asked if I could grant him an office, and as I'm not JK Prince, I couldn't. Even if it costs a couple of copper a month, I probably would have done it. 

Also, out of curiosity, do the PMKs get similar offices they can appoint?

• Like 3

Also, why this has an apparent skyrim theme, my intention is that the mayor could rename the positions, or something. Also, maybe, it would be cool if the players could show off their titles, if they wanted to.

I was skeptical until I read.... I oddly REALLY REALLY like this idea. Would be nice to have some appreciation things to throw around. +1 from me. 

Good idea! I like it =) it would be nice if the developers will adopt this system ^ _ ^

-1 for pvp servers, might be alright on freedom. and yes, pmks get all the office titles that the original kingdoms have 

actually this is like the kingdom titles and so if they work with kingdoms.. why don't they work with village. Maybe village need to be X size and X villagers for this to apply? Or after certain work to the village done? (think of missions)

Edited by rosedragon

Why -1 on PVP? Every side gets the option to have titles. 

Why -1 on PVP? Every side gets the option to have titles. 

Because then it starts to become a requirement to have these bonus' to PvP, then its a requirement to have your own deed to maximise as many titles as possible, and so on

-1 on pvp servers, if stuff keeps getting added like this it's going to turn into being reliant on people with 'bonuses' to do anything pvp wise

• Like 2

Are we talking about chaos or epic pvp? On epic, there is like a -10 CR debuff for raiding on a home server, and it still happens.

+1.  But if the mayor is footing the bill for the deed, they need a title too.  =)

I've always thought the leader of a deed would be equivalent to either a baron, or possibly a rural Count. On epic the deeds themselves tend to exercise larger spheres of control (based upon the willingness of the people to build/patrol outwards), while on freedom this is regimented by perimeter controls. If the Jarl wants one of the +1 CR; he could have the possibility to name himself his own thane. Which would be ostentatious as it sounds, and it would limit the number of those honors that could be given out.

View hidden Post
Posted · Hidden by Tpikol, July 12, 2013 - inappropriate and a reply to it
Hidden by Tpikol, July 12, 2013 - inappropriate and a reply to it

nope -1 ps. kill yourself

View hidden Post
Posted · Hidden by Tpikol, July 12, 2013 - inappropriate and a reply to it
Hidden by Tpikol, July 12, 2013 - inappropriate and a reply to it

nope -1 ps. kill yourself

Aggressive. You must have a higher skill in that ;)

I like the idea of these titles, but the bonuses would be bad for pvp. You can already get titles in villages, and when examined people can see them. Maybe it could be changed so the village titles are visible in your name.

For instance: "Thomas the Explorer [Mercenary], Knight of Sodor" or "Hellfang the Sovereign [Knight], Lord of Kyara"

It also could be given a new line, like this:

Thomas the Exporer [Mercenary]

Knight of Sodor

Jenn-Kellon

Edited by Sir Arowhun

I wouldn't mind seeing some minor titles that had no impact on fighting - that way they could cover all servers without fear of unbalancing PvP, small things like village chef, farmer, miner, woodcutter and digger. I'd rather not duplicate kingdoms ones (I know, chef is one). Not mason or builder as these can be crucial for repairing and rebuilding defenses during a raid (unless the bonus doesn't actually affect effectiveness or speed). Non stackable, cooldown for adding/removing titles. Not yet sure what they'd do, give the person a 1% skill increase in that skill, or chop 5% off action timer or something. Nothing major.

Edit: Village caretaker, tends to plant pots and fowerbeds 50% faster (lets face it, no one will worry about that in PvP :P ).

• Like 1

I just dislike the idea of arbitrarily making things easier. If there are positions that make certain actions faster, all you will do is switch positions constantly to benefit whatever you need at a given moment.

I would much prefer if you could use the role names selected for a player through "manage citizens" to optionally be displayed by the player (like Arowhun said).

Not everything added to the game has to give a bonus  :unsure:

Edited by Wraithglow

If there are positions that make certain actions faster, all you will do is switch positions constantly to benefit whatever you need at a given moment.
Well I addressed that: Non stackable, cooldown for adding/removing titles.

Well I addressed that: Non stackable, cooldown for adding/removing titles.

True, but why? We already have functionality that gives you buffs, and they require skills to get (higher quality tools + enchants). Why does having a deed require these bonuses? You could just as easily ask for any other difficult game functionality to be made easier on deed - why not allow people to get an extra 10% chance to make everything? Extra quality materials produced if made on deed?

The deed currently has some nicely defined benefits which do not make it a requirement, but useful to reduce chores and increase security. I just don't see why other crafting benefits should be added.

I'm not opposed to aesthetic benefits - names can be cool. It's just that awarding someone more bonuses for having paid out is something to be avoided, in my opinion.

*Points to accumulated knowledge* Isn't that the 10% you just mentioned?

I would like the titles to be substantive and limited. The bonuses they can add would be mere tokens, if thats the way the community feels, what appropriately qualifies as a 'token benefit' is subject to debate. Specifically though, I want the titles to be coveted, and mean something. More importantly, I think deed owners should have to make a decision when deciding to appoint someone to a title. As in, if I give out my last thane title, I can't give out anymore...and if I find someone more worthy to be a 'thane', I would have to remove the title from a former holder.

More importantly, I think deed owners should have to make a decision when deciding to appoint someone to a title.

In which case, there would have to be a downside for the mayor doing the appointing, although no downside for the person receiving the title. As such there would have to be an additional cost or something for handing out the title.

The additional cost is the cost of paying for the title. I think each title you hand out should cost 5-10 copper per month in upkeep. And there should be at least a week cool-down between nominating folks.