Sign in to follow this  
lithi

How Do You Grind Prospect?

Just figured I'd share my findings. I started out with 9 skill and aimed for 20 to see the ore locations near by and qualities.

Took me about an hour with by plain simply queuing prospect on a tile 3 times, for each action you get skill gain you add one more prospect, eventually you'll run out of actions and also have dried out the tile for skill gain.

I didn't noticeably see any difference if I had low stamina, high stamina, thirst, hunger or anything else. I was using a 43 QL pickaxe. Nutrition about 35%. The gains ranged from 0,02 which was rare to 0,05 which was also rare, centering around 0,03 - 0,04.

Of course you have to consider pure luck and such magical things, but it seemed pretty time efficient way. Max 30 second loss on my skill level on a tile and my mine isn't even that big.

It helps to move to other tiles after a few prospects. Other than that I cant really help as its a skill I never focused on grinding.

Edited by Klaa

It helps to move to other tiles after a few prospects. Other than that I cant really help as its a skill I never focused on grinding.

I'd say "few" is an understatement, there was times I could prospect 20-30 times a tile with average skill gain of 0,035.

Like Klaa said, also try to use low ql high coc pickaxe with sleep bonus, it should go up pretty fast.

Are you guys even reading my post.

Or did I choose a wrong topic to put this under.

Edited by lithi

I stood still at a silver vein with a 1ql coc pickaxe and went from 25 to 50 in one go pretty much.

• Like 1

I stood still at a silver vein with a 1ql coc pickaxe and went from 25 to 50 in one go pretty much.

Got many misfires? Approx. how often?

Misfires?

All I know is it took pretty much 3 hours from 25 to 50 on sleep bonus.

maybe i missed it, is there a very good reason to go past 20 prospecting? xD

At 40 Prospecting you can detect salt when present and at 60 you can see how much an ore vein has left in it. So the latter is the better one.

• Like 1

More prospecting = better analyze while underground. (at 20 you can see only one tile away?)

Fastest way to raise atm...analyze every shard you mine as you go...

at 

20 - 60 prospecting can be done in under 5 hours with SB using a decent coc pick. It's Wurm's fastest skill to grind.

maybe i missed it, is there a very good reason to go past 20 prospecting? xD

At 60 prospection you can get an estimate of how much ore is left in a vein.

Even higher helps with the analyzing of shards to see where veins are located nearby, if any.

---

It's actually very easy to grind :)

20 - 60 prospecting can be done in under 5 hours with SB using a decent coc pick. It's Wurm's fastest skill to grind.

Unless you have a HFC setup and plenty of materials for multiple runs.. hehe..  But yes, Prospecting is fast and the OP is a good observation.

There's a maximum of 5 mine tiles you can see if they have ore in and thats 70 prospecting, among with the salt and ore quantity.

I have a long tunnel at my deed, and when I've been interested in raising prospecting, I grab my 1QL high coc pick, and walk down the tunnel (slowly :P ), prospecting every surface I can. Goes up pretty fast.

I pretty much just prospected every cave wall,floor and ceiling tile I could find inside whatever cave system I was around. Always used sleep bonus and skiller pickaxe. Havn't tried skilling with the analysing option yet but might give it a try when aiming for 90 skill.

Just recently went from 1 -36.75 (36.75 on epic is equivalent to 60 therefore I can see how long a vein has left) It took me no more than 30-45 mins with SB with a Low ql high botd Pickaxe.

My method was prospecting cave walls till 10 skill then only veins after this but I would swap tiles every 10 ticks and just circled my mine.

Find or make a long 1 tile wide tunnel. Randomly prospect walls, ceiling and floor once; Then, move one tile ... repeat.  I have poor prospecting since I never needed anything more than 20. Although, now I plan to take it to 90.

Based on a quick test, analyze around 50 shards, it appears prospecting tiles is a better way. There are probably ways to maximize skill gain this way I'm don't know about. I know the tile method works so that's what I'm using.

I just tried prospecting an utmost zinc tile over and over while not moving around. That process wasn't giving skill gains as good as moving around prospecting different tiles. The pick is a rare steel 7 ql 90 coc.

Oh, I forgot, another way I raised prospecting was on the surface, looking for veins on a massive mountain I live on. Then marble and slate were added so I prospected again. Then the marble and slate were re-added more commonly, so I prospected the mountain AGAIN. I had to take a break in winter because there's nothing more annoying than trying to prospect on sand and grass in snow :P

Incidentally, the mountain is full of iron and sod all else *sigh*

Also, I got prospecting to 70 just so I could have a pointless title. 3 weeks later, analyse is added :P