Sign in to follow this  
Goblinking

Useful Boat Ideas

We should actually make a carrying system for boats to make them more useful, such as the cog, would could be used more, for instance. A cog can hold 67 rafts, while a corbita can hold 100, as can a caravel and knarr.

What if we were to make it so...

Corbitas Can hold 50 rafts

Cogs can hold 75 rafts

Knarrs can hold 90 rafts

Caravels can hold 100 rafts.

I dont mean by those exact numbers really, but i think this would help get the cog back into business, and the boating industry could possibly rise.

Edit: This could also make bigger boats like caravels more popular and useful again, therefore making high demand all around for ship market,

Edited by Goblinking

The biggest trouble with boats is that the knarr is hands down the best it holds tons and has the same depth as a sailboat more or less. I would prefer to use a caravel or even a corbita just on looks but it is hard to get past the versatility of the knarr. 

I guess we will see if the new boats bring any other changes other than looks but probably not. The caravel i have i use it for a deed marker it has not moved since the day i bought it and brought it home. 

Edited by Kegan

I like the basic premise of your post. :)  

I agree that it may be worthwhile to have some incentive to utilize the variety of boats out there.

However, I think we need to go in a slightly different direction.  Too often in Wurm, people propose fixing a problem by taking away something that other people already have and are accustomed to and enjoy.  The solution of addition (to the game)  by subtraction (from players abilities and assets) is not my first choice. 

In my opinion , if you have the 23 Mind Logic, (which doesn't take all that long to get), the Knarr or the sailboat currently are the only two real choices for travel on the water. The other three suffer from a variety of problems including visibility when sailing, difficult to handle in tight places, and generally no off-setting advantages to compensate for these short-comings.  I mean really, how many people use a Caravel for little more than a trophy to park out on the dock?

So there are some things we could do , and yes most of these have been stated in previous posting of the Forum I am quite positive of that.  But since the topic has arisen again, lets repeat some of them.

1.) Make some adjustments to allow the 3 C's (Corbita, Cog, and Caravel) to be able to haul animals , other than dragging them precariously behind your boat.  The amount of animals it could haul would be adjusted by ship size.

2.) Since the Cog has a high crowsnest which can be used to observe from, why not build in a fixed spyglass function only useable while in the crowsnest.  Its something different and could be unique for the Cog.

3.) For the Corbita, how about making it a little easier to handle, the visibility while sailing is probably more difficult than it needs to be.

4.) For the Caravel, how about making the inventory hold bigger than it is even now.  Make it able to move medium villages, if people are relocating to other servers.  The caravel should definitely have a bigger hold size than the Knarr.

5.) To make some of the less useful ships more useful, add the ability to tow smaller ships behind so that you have a rowboat or sailboat to use for exploring, when you get to your destination or when you are selling/delivering ships to customers. 

These are only a few ideas and they are by no means original thoughts.  The key to making the ships more useful is promoting individual ship type diversity. Give people a reason to consider wanting any or all of the ship types, other than " well my Mind Logic is only at 22 so I guess I will choose a....."

Just some ideas that I felt were worth repeating :)  and yes,  just my opinion :)

• Like 1