Sign in to follow this  
Arhad

Why Dose Wurm Not Have A Deed Siege Timer?

bump again, because of a certain group that keeps attacking late at night while no one is online. (and then acting like they are the best pvper's ever)

bump again, because of a certain group that keeps attacking late at night while no one is online. (and then acting like they are the best pvper's ever)

Everybody does it, and there's nothing wrong with it. DSC was raided in the middle of the night, and we held them off. If it's a really big deal, have some sort of communication system with your alliance members.

Edited by Aflacduck

Upping the Templar strength was a good start.  Now bring the tower guards up to the old templar strength and there might be enough to provide some decent deed protection when everyone is in bed sleeping.

How about this:

1.  Mayor can set a special deed defense flag to on or off.

When Set to On:

• 10 minute delay to activate.  
  • Attacks to walls or lockpicking attempt during delay timer cancels the activation.
  • Cost is 1 silver to turn on.  If activation cancelled, no refund of 1s.  
  • No cost to turn off.  
  • Once activated, attacks to walls or lockpicking tells Raiders "You may not do this.  The deed is currently protected by a divine aura."
  • No raids can occur, meaning cats do zero damage and lockpicking fails 100% - no skill gains for raiders.  
  • No sleep bonus accrues for any residents of the village when logging off of a protected deed.
  • No sleep bonus may be activated while on deed by anyone during protection.
  • No deed bonuses (sac bonus, exp. bonus, etc.) are in effect during protection.
  • No casting of any kind allowed by anyone on the deed during protection.
  • Remains on until turned off by the mayor OR 1 week, whichever is less.
  • Deed token examine indicates time remaining for automatic deactivation.

The purpose is to give up certain benefits for the sake of deed protection during construction projects, raid repairs, or times when residents are off-line and willing to sacrifice sleep bonus for added protection.  Given the great amount of restrictions involved, mayors would be reluctant to turn it on except for emergencies (i.e. online and raiding with no ability to defend, or off line and repairing/building up.

Edited by Eyesgood

Your idea sounds like a little too much protection I think. Every time raiders attack a deed, the people in it can turn on this "protection" and instantly become invincible. I think when deciding times that each deed is non-attackable, it should be done in advance so players can't change it to suit the present situation. Maybe there could be a cool down, and it could work similar to sleep bonus.

Edited by Sir Arowhun

Your idea sounds like a little too much protection I think. Every time raiders attack a deed, the people in it can turn on this "protection" and instantly become invisible. I think when deciding times that each deed is non-attackable, it should be done in advance so players can't change it to suit the present situation. Maybe there could be a cool down, and it could work similar to sleep bonus.

• 10 minute delay to activate.  

Attacks to walls or lockpicking attempt during delay timer cancels the activation.

That's hardly instant. :)

I think it should be like this:

Players get 14 hours of protection. The rest of the day is unprotected. Maybe with triple upkeep or something like that you could get more time. The mayor can choose what times the protection will be in effect, but it has to be done a few days head of time.

There should be some way to notify people in other kingdoms of when this protection is in effect.

I don't see the problem with this suggestion. Many people have real life obligations, so they can't be online 24/7. In most deeds, there is a time where most people are online, and a time where very few are online. Raids should mostly occur when most are online so the battle more closely represents the strength of the deed. For many people it doesn't matter if they have a communication system out of the game or not, because they can't join in while at work anyways. Employers typically don't like it when their employees play games while they are getting a paycheck. I don't think Wurm should become a game only for the unemployed and young people who have too much free time :P.

I've heard about how a deed on Elevation got crushed recently because a group of 25+ enemies attacked it while only 4 people were online. In the middle of the day, the deed can have enough people to stand up to that.

Edited by Sir Arowhun

I think it should be like this:

Players get 14 hours of protection. The rest of the day is unprotected. Maybe with triple upkeep or something like that you could get more time. The mayor can choose what times the protection will be in effect, but it has to be done a few days head of time.

There should be some way to notify people in other kingdoms of when this protection is in effect.

Many people have real life obligations, so they can't be online 24/7.

That applies to raiders too.

People should not have to raid you on your terms.

Edited by Kagrenac

That applies to raiders too.

People should not have to raid you on your terms.

I think the defenders should get the advantage in this scenario. As it is, the attackers get the advantage.

Raid defense in Wurm is and always has been notoriously easy, even in the middle of the night. MR and JK allied and attacked our capital at 3am a few weeks ago. We fended them off easily despite having only half their numbers. And that's not because we're uber leet pvpers; it's because defending is naturally easier than attacking. Please, for everyone's sake, people need to stop coming to the suggestions forum every time they lose a fight. It's ridiculous.

Edited by Fawkes

Raid defense in Wurm is and always has been notoriously easy, even in the middle of the night. MR and JK allied and attacked our capital at 3am a few weeks ago. We fended them off easily despite having only half their numbers. And that's not because we're uber leet pvpers; it's because defending is naturally easier than attacking. Please, for everyone's sake, people need to stop coming to the suggestions forum every time they lose a fight. It's ridiculous.

What about scenarios where a deed has 15 people at peak times, but a group of 20 attackers attacks while only 4 are online. All raiders do right now is wait until the server population goes down before attacking. On JKH they claim that not many defenders show up because we are unorganized, but the truth is not many show up because the JKBL guys always attack when there is noone to send because they are all offline.

Edited by Sir Arowhun

What about scenarios where a deed has 15 people at peak times, but a group of 20 attackers attacks while only 4 are online.

If you're talking about EC, we were there for 9 hours. Neither MR nor JK attempted to stop us, even when it was well into the afternoon. Besides, they had one layer of 34ql low stone walls and a small dirt wall defending their deed and that was it. We would've gotten in regardless of how many were online.

If you're talking about EC, we were there for 9 hours. Neither MR nor JK attempted to stop us, even when it was well into the afternoon. Besides, they had one layer of 34ql low stone walls and a small dirt wall defending their deed and that was it. We would've gotten in regardless of how many were online.

That's only one scenario. I can name you numerous raids where the defenders would of had a better chance if the attack occurred at a different time. I'm pretty sure almost every pvper in Wurm can actually.

Edited by Sir Arowhun

Like I said, defenders already have a significant advantage over attackers. I know you won't believe me when I say that, but there's a reason well-established deeds don't get raided very often, even in the middle of the night. Good communication and non-Freedomish deed planning will serve you guys much better than any attempt at forcing artificial "fairness" on the rest of us.

And then on top of that, there's the time zone issue. Not too long ago, BL was almost exclusively European, whereas the other kingdoms were largely American or Australian. So what do you do when kingdoms are made up of people from two different continents?

Let's say there are two kingdoms, with the attackers being American and the defenders being European. Assume everyone sleeps 8 hours a day and works 8 hours a day, and that they are free for the rest of the day after that. If the Europeans choose to be protected between midnight and 2pm at GMT+1, this means that they will be protected from 6pm EST to 8am EST. So if you are an American on the east coast and you go to work at 8am and get out of work at 5pm like most people, you will have a grand total of one hour to raid. Sounds like a pretty good way to kill PvP to me.
Edited by Fawkes

-1  No for Pay2Win for Silver suggestions

Edited by vill

-1  No for Pay2Win for Silver suggestions

I agree with this. It should be added in a way so it isn't pay2win.

Let's say there are two kingdoms, with the attackers being American and the defenders being European. Assume everyone sleeps 8 hours a day and works 8 hours a day, and that they are free for the rest of the day after that. If the Europeans choose to be protected between midnight and 2pm at GMT+1, this means that they will be protected from 6pm EST to 8am EST. So if you are an American on the east coast and you go to work at 8am and get out of work at 5pm like most people, you will have a grand total of one hour to raid. Sounds like a pretty good way to kill PvP to me.

so long as deeds keep getting rolled while people sleep, the PVP sever will remain dead and have a very low population.

It seems you can look at this from both ways, but I think the defenders should get the advantage.

Edited by Sir Arowhun

I think there should be a 8-12 hour period when mayors can set their deed to be 50% weaker. No extra silver payment no nothing, just this drawback. And also make defending harder by tweaking the reapir times etc.

Defenders have the advantage as it is, if this change went into effect, I doubt any raids would occur, as if you dont outnumber the defenders by a considerable amount, and the defenders are slightly competent, they can out repair you until they run out of supplies.

One person can already delay or outright stop most groups of raiders, since repairing is so easy to do.

Edited by Kagrenac

Adding more restrictions will NOT add to pvp, restrictions do just that - restrict, they don't add anything, and people always find some ways around those.

If you want more pvp you should think about pvp motivation - how can it be changed and renewed, so that more people get interested in pvp.

The system proposed by you suits only defenders. If attackers and defenders live in different time zones, I don't think attackers will wait 12 +-5 hours till defender's deed attack window opens at time that suits defender perfectly. Attackers may just go to sleep, and there will be no pvp at all.

The other point I would like to get your attention at, is what kind of walls start the timer and tell attackers when it will be possible to brake it? The walls that are on deed, deed+perimeter, or any wall in general? Does it mean that when I want to bring down a wall to clear out the territory from rubble left from the previous settler who doesn't play for 2 years, it will start a timer he set 2 years ago and will have to wait till late night to destroy the damn thing?

What if attackers build their walls around the gates of my small settlement? Will it count as siege and reinforce those too if I bash em to get out? Or do I have to bash my own walls to get out fast, and thus open the passage to the enemy myself?

What you don't think of, before proposing such system,  is that in EVE (as well as in DFO) the station (or hamlet, or player city) - is actually a ONE BIG OBJECT - which is not true for Wurm, as walls, fences, floors are all different objects.

If your main goal is to add more interesting pvp - consider adding motivation to it instead.

If you want pvp only at the time that suits you and only you - consider playing on pve server.

you are a bad poster and should feel bad, 

Defenders have the advantage as it is, if this change went into effect, I doubt any raids would occur, as if you dont outnumber the defenders by a considerable amount, and the defenders are slightly competent, they can out repair you until they run out of supplies.

One person can already delay or outright stop most groups of raiders, since repairing is so easy to do.

I'm sorry, but its hard for me to say the defenders have an advantage if they are outnumbered 20 to 1 when at peak times, they can have enough to fight back. Right now, the most effective strategy for raiding deeds is to wait until its late at night for most players, because resistance will be little. Noone can be online 24/7, so that shouldn't be a requirement.

Edited by Sir Arowhun

I'm sorry, but its hard for me to say the defenders have an advantage if they are outnumbered 20 to 1 when at peak times, they can have enough to fight back. Right now, the most effective strategy for raiding deeds is to wait until its late at night for most players, because resistance will be little. Noone can be online 24/7, so that shouldn't be a requirement.

Live with other people.

Generally deeds on elevation have at least a few people on at all times due to having a lot of people from different timezones.

If its on a home server, raiders have to go on a boat for hours to reach the deed and get back, a CR nerf, and are automatically outnumbered by quite a lot.

Defenders have walls, templars, tower guards, invulnerability when they log in, ridiculously fast repair times, a respawn point, safemines, and the ability to doorhop like crazy.

The only advantage attackers can have is numbers.

• Like 1

Siege times in Wurm means = No point to raid for loot (during this timer everyone will log off alts with all loot) =  PvP isDead

Siege times in Wurm means = No point to raid for loot (during this timer everyone will log off alts with all loot) =  PvP isDead

yes and no

If you look at how things are currently i can see how one might assume that because right now defenders cant win 90% of the time due to being out numbers 20/1 normally. However if defenders think they can actually win will they still put the same amount of effort into logging off a bunch of stuff ? maybe, maybe not I tend to think not or at-lest no more then they already do so you point is moot at best.  Then there is also the question of what people consider "loot" i promises there is more on a deed then could ever be logged off with, But unless its rare or better most people get complacent.