Sign in to follow this  
Klaa

Autoequip

So keybinds and various shortcuts for equipping armor and weapons are on the test server. There's been a few bugs as per the posts on the public test board:

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/84029-auto-equip/

There is an issue that stuck out in my mind as being problematic; however, its not a bug, so pursuant to the new public test board rules, here we go...

There's no timer or cooldown period when equipping. Its possible to swap gear in less than a second... even when fully engaged in a fight... with no apparent disadvantage.

Edited by Klaa
  • Like 1

I say just make it so when you are in combat stance you just can't switch it at all. 

You should be able to switch in combat though. There's plenty of situations where you're just a bit slow to equip your melee gear (like when you go in for the kill after an archery battle). Or if you log in and notice the enemy dug into your little hidey hole. Combat shouldn't be able to keep you "stuck" in a naked state. :P

Aye personally switching in a fight is fine, as long as it takes a few seconds and/or it creates an opening for the attackers.

Changing armorin combat shouldnt be allowed. Chamging weappns shouldnt have a timer

• Like 2

I think it should indeed have a timer, as for changing in combat, keep the timer and make urself vunerable like when focussing

Oh and here's my initial reaction to the feature:

My Body is Ready!!!

bruce-almighty-o.gif

Wasn't feeling stupid enough to put it on the test board :P

• Like 1

weapons no timmer at all or a really short one, armour shoudn´t be posible while in combat/engaged

changing weaps and armor should yield no disadvantage in combat imo. 

current system you can change equip instantly.. the only difference between you and the enemy is how fast you click... so I vote for no delay.

Changing equipment of any type during combat should:

• Make you more susceptible to stun vs shieldbashes, hard hitting attacks, and weapon skills
  • have a short timer
  • have that timer be interruptable the same as when focusing or shieldbashing and you take a hit.

Gear swapping is nothing new to mmo's and is necessary.  It lets you back off and change gear to better take on an opponent.  The very same oppnonent can do the same against you.  This will mainly be useful in team based skirmishes, where you can fallback to gear swap while your comrades cover you.

This happens in everyday combat and every country in the world, past and present, utilize this.  A Marine runs out of rifle ammo and switches to a side arm, etc.  A pirate fires the one shot from his black powder pistol and pulls out his saber.  The Riflemen at Gettysburg run out of ammunition and fix bayonets for a charge.  The tommy's in the trenches of WWI advance over the wall and get pinned in a mortar crater.. they can't run farther for fear of Machine gun fire, so they pull out grenades and toss them to create a diversion or smoke effect before charging.  Thousands of real life and other video game examples of this working perfectly.

It needs major focus on game balance but is a great idea.  Don't nerf it because you may not be as fast at gear swapping as the enemy.

Edited by Nomadikhan

Havent really seen people swap armor in the middle of pvp other than equiping their chain jacket, pants or great helm. If you want to put timers on equipping because of that then boo to you I could equip that faster than a timer.

You can realistically switch weapons vrry quickly avoiding penalties. So there shouldnt be a timer or negative to it. You also can do it now and it had always been that way. Ive never played a pvp game with armor swap timers either.

Not sure what the issue is there. What advantage so they have switching armor instantly. . . Piece by piece still lol

Forgot where I was posting and had a post deleted there =)

I hope this will save us some precious seconds, as it did for Jim Carrey..

Changing equipment of any type during combat should:

• Make you more susceptible to stun vs shieldbashes, hard hitting attacks, and weapon skills

have a short timer

have that timer be interruptable the same as when focusing or shieldbashing and you take a hit.

Gear swapping is nothing new to mmo's and is necessary.  It lets you back off and change gear to better take on an opponent.  The very same oppnonent can do the same against you.  This will mainly be useful in team based skirmishes, where you can fallback to gear swap while your comrades cover you.

This happens in everyday combat and every country in the world, past and present, utilize this.  A Marine runs out of rifle ammo and switches to a side arm, etc.  A pirate fires the one shot from his black powder pistol and pulls out his saber.  The Riflemen at Gettysburg run out of ammunition and fix bayonets for a charge.  The tommy's in the trenches of WWI advance over the wall and get pinned in a mortar crater.. they can't run farther for fear of Machine gun fire, so they pull out grenades and toss them to create a diversion or smoke effect before charging.  Thousands of real life and other video game examples of this working perfectly.

It needs major focus on game balance but is a great idea.  Don't nerf it because you may not be as fast at gear swapping as the enemy.

All of these examples above are armament changes, which should be swapable... Armor however, should have completely different considerations because its an arduous process to refit your gear like that even outside the throws of conflict, and it would be almost impossible in battle.

I do realize we're talking about a video game here though, and one who's combat is already pretty darn weird. I would think any sort of timer or limitation/weakness period would suffice.

Edited by vigilante716

Absolutely no point in adding some restriction to equipping/unequipping armor. As much as some people like to think it happens, really no one switches armor in the middle of pvp or other combat. Why would you go into combat with gear that you don't want to use for combat? Is there any point in switching your better gear like plate armor, with something else? And who even carries two sets of armor?

There are extremely few cases where one would need to switch weapons, mostly if you switch from bow to melee which happens long before any melee combat. If you add restrictions, things can only go wrong, it will not balance anything.

I think these kinds of nerfs are similar to when people suggested that renaming deeds needs to be on a 6 month timer. Some people think we need to add a strange nerf to every positive thing we get. There is no need for that if there is no potential for abuse.

• Like 1

Its true that people rarely, if ever, swapped armor in Wurm pvp. Even switching weapons mid fight is unusual; though, far more common by comparison.

Even with Wurm's system of rock, paper, scissors of how weapon dmg types and armor resistances behave. Then there's getting into the effects of offensive and defensive enchants.

It was difficult to perform. One was limited by how fast they could click and drag pieces around, especially while simultaneously responding to the actions of other players. Now that particular hurdle is gone.

The only real limit now is how strong someone is in body str.

Course my concerns over the potential may easily turn out to be groundless. We shall see.

I'm just happy for the ability to switch from bow to melee quickly now. That and general convenience when changing gear around. Love this update.

• Like 1

easy switching from bows to melee is nice but people are going to use this to take off their armor while running away and put it back on the second they are in attack range

easy switching from bows to melee is nice but people are going to use this to take off their armor while running away and put it back on the second they are in attack range

Agreed, that it will change the meta in the way people maneuver into and out of positions etc.

Some people might consider this a good thing, but I tend to feel like its silly. It would be gaming the system for the worse IMO.

If a combat revamp as a whole is on the plans for the next year, I'd be willing to deal with it  though for now at any rate as the entire system is just down right wonky regardless.

It would be pretty silly to put off your armor when you are seconds away from combat. You could probably equip your helm/chest/legs in about 1.5 second without equip binds, so I don't think that's an issue.