Sign in to follow this  
griper

Question About Wilderness

Are there any untamed areas left on any of the Freedom islands? I have been walking around on Deliverance and I see plenty of new and old settlements everywhere.

I understand that Rolf cannot maintain servers with huge areas of empty lands for me to roam around in, but shouldnt there be more wild areas?

Have I missed the untouched parts during my travels?

Come to Celebration, plenty of free, untouched land here.

• Like 2

newer servers are more clean

Cleanest atm is Cele in freedom.

Because it's the newest from all freedom ones :)

• Like 1

Are there any untamed areas left on any of the Freedom islands? I have been walking around on Deliverance and I see plenty of new and old settlements everywhere.

I understand that Rolf cannot maintain servers with huge areas of empty lands for me to roam around in, but shouldnt there be more wild areas?

Have I missed the untouched parts during my travels?

You are in one of the oldest servers, and since the servers have a limited size, the probability of finding untouched land is dimished by the age of the server.

probably you will be able to find some untouched land at Cele in the interior of the mass land, but i doubt there is free untouched coastal even at the newest servers like pristine or release.

• Like 1

If you want your homestead to look untouched, you can make it so very quickly. Drop some dirt all over to make the land uneven and plant some trees. Then just wait for the wildlife to arrive.

If it's just exploration you enjoy, surely finding abandoned settlements all over is great? Snooping around, possibly finding some nice loot!

• Like 2

It depends on your standards. I don't think there's any place left that puts you further than a few minutes of walking from your closest neighbor, but there are likely loads of spots left that are visibly "remote" and/or where your neighbors aren't readily accessible because of terrain layout.

The epic serenity server is an extension of freedom, also worth to take a look there.

It's worth taking another look at the Independence map. I know from personal experience that there ARE vast tracts of land that are either completely untouched, or touched briefly and now grown over.

For example...

27x, 48y, just north of GuruBear's Crater. There's a great deal of unowned mountainside in that area. Several attempts have been made to establish little strongholds on the hillsides up there, but few have lasted for more than a few months. Note that you'd be close to the Magranon's Scar mega-project, but not intrusively close.

41x, 25y, just West of the Great Steppes. Huge craggy mountains, very inhospitable and difficult to get to. Also largely untouched, because it's a pain to get there.

36x, 15y, Southwest of the White Dragon's Den. More mountainous terrain. There's settlements nearby (particularly along the East/West road that runs past Forty Eighth And Park), but a large section of this is rolling hills, either unsettled or long-abandoned.

A few tips: Look for spots on the map(s) where there are no marked roads nearby, for at least one coordinate's width. You may find ruins, or you may find untouched wilderness. The harder it is to get to, the fewer people are going to try. Note, however, that you're going to need some character skills to tame some of the uncharted wilderness - you'll need some Climbing skill to get around steep cliffs without falling to your death; you'll need some Digging and probably Mining (at least 30 each, IMO) to terraform your little slice of wilderness, and weapon/fighting skills to hold it. I can see a large number of places on the Inde map where one might stake out a claim and fight to claim it from the wilderness. But it won't be easy, and you can forget the idea of going somewhere that nobody's ever been before. There are intrepid adventurers who have scaled the tallest mountains in the game, after all.

Heck, even the land just inland from my little slice of shoreline is largely untapped land. I'm in the process of making my own highway from my place out to the nearest major road, and it's going to be quite a task - steep hillside for dozens, if not hundreds, of "paces" in the game that need to be smoothed out to a walkable slope.

Edited by Nekojin

Deliverance has relative large areas of untouched land or almost untouched.Land that are hard to travel usually scare most off.

Ok. I have another question then.

Why are the three newer freedom islands smaller than Chaos and Independance?

Is it meant to reduce lag?

I think that part of the reason is that if you have more smaller servers it allows players to be more "spread out" as it essentially acts like if you had multiple start points on one large server. Independence is a prime example where large servers have a problem because they have vast unused spaces from about 2/3 of the way out from the howl, but in the centre you're hardpressed to find even a small area free.

I believe it was partly because smaller servers appeared to have better performance and stability but also to reduce congestion in densely populated areas.