Sign in to follow this  
3dSquareMan

Is 72 Degrees From My A/c Different Then 72 Degrees From My Heater

of course. your ac blows cool air and the heater blows hot air.

same as 1 pound of cotton is lighter than a pound of lead.

of course. your ac blows cool air and the heater blows hot air.

same as 1 pound of cotton is lighter than a pound of lead.

Really? 

1 pound is 1 pound, no matter what material you use. Now if you're talking volume then 1 pound of cotton occupies more space than 1 pound of lead..

and also 72 degrees is 72 degrees.. If it's hotter you A/C blows cold air to cool the air down, if it's colder it'll blow hot air to heat up the air..

Now stop trolling! ;)

• Like 1

depends what your room temperature was and how large area are they going to cool/heat :)

Edited by silakka

I assume your AC will bring any temperature above 72 down to 72, while your heater will bring any temperature below 72 up to 72.

I assume your AC will bring any temperature above 72 down to 72, while your heater will bring any temperature below 72 up to 72.

Something about that statement fits very well with your profile picture.

• Like 1

72 F = 22 C, don't see anything special about it, unless you are used to live in Greenland or North pole and can't stand normal temperatures in summer... It's ~91F = 32-33C on summer days where I live...

There actually is a small difference due to condensation. A heater raising the temperature to 72 degrees might dissipate moisture that could be lingering on surfaces but AC tends to cause condensation, so in that respect there is a difference. Cooling can be rough on fragile electronics in that respect which is why fans are preferred for cooling. Compression cooling can have adverse effects so a fan is your best bet.

• Like 1

Answer can also depend on several factors not mentioned. Such factors can consist of outside temperature, weather, air circulation, insulation, presence of other heat sources in area (ie ur body, desktop, laptop, cats, bbq pit, girlfriend (rawwr), etc).

Edited by Klaa

There actually is a small difference due to condensation. A heater raising the temperature to 72 degrees might dissipate moisture that could be lingering on surfaces but AC tends to cause condensation, so in that respect there is a difference. Cooling can be rough on fragile electronics in that respect which is why fans are preferred for cooling. Compression cooling can have adverse effects so a fan is your best bet.

Answer cam also depend on several factors :air circulation

It all really comes down to perception, homes.

Alright so lesson in percepticomics (oyeah i made a word.) begins now!

moving air tends to feel cooler. a "cool" breeze on a hot sunny day is still the same temperature.

humidity affects not only your perception, but the perception of the reality surrounding you. at 100% humidity, 72 degrees F will feel much different than at 0% humidity.

its basic, it's all perception as far as you're concerned. wear impervious clothing, stand far enough away from the source of heat/cooling to not feel the direct output, and you'll notice it's all the same. (probably getting warmer as you heat your airspace. get out of the suit. get out!)

72 degrees would prolly feel like a cold sauna. In celsius you hrmftfng frmfrtshle!

Edit; I dont understand why its "X degrees" when someone using farenheit is expressing it, but "Y celsius" when someone using, guess what, CELSIUS is expressing it... even thought BOTH are expressed in degrees.

Just "saying". Gah damn!

(but my degrees is more than your degrees, so who am I?!)

Edited by Raybarg

Because if you are using AC to cool a room to 72 degrees, its probably a pretty hot day out, so it makes 72 feel really nice and cool in comparison whereas if you're heating a room to 72 degrees, its a cool day out, so you feel it warm you up...

Are we taking air pressure into account?

what having trouble with your homework? xD

Really? 

1 pound is 1 pound, no matter what material you use. Now if you're talking volume then 1 pound of cotton occupies more space than 1 pound of lead..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troy_weight

Pounds of gold and silver weigh less than other pounds... but that is just because it is different system of weight measure.

72 F = 22 C, don't see anything special about it, unless you are used to live in Greenland or North pole and can't stand normal temperatures in summer... It's ~91F = 32-33C on summer days where I live...

What's that got to do with... well... anything? :P

It all really comes down to perception, homes.

Alright so lesson in percepticomics (oyeah i made a word.) begins now!

moving air tends to feel cooler. a "cool" breeze on a hot sunny day is still the same temperature.

humidity affects not only your perception, but the perception of the reality surrounding you. at 100% humidity, 72 degrees F will feel much different than at 0% humidity.

its basic, it's all perception as far as you're concerned. wear impervious clothing, stand far enough away from the source of heat/cooling to not feel the direct output, and you'll notice it's all the same. (probably getting warmer as you heat your airspace. get out of the suit. get out!)

Not so much perception, more on how your own body deals with temperatures and interacts with the local environment, but yes, standing in a dry-suit in 72F will rapidly cause you to feel pretty uncomfortable :P

Yes, there's a difference. Maybe it's just the body's natural acclimation to a different temperature, but 72 degrees when heated feels WAY different than 72 degrees cool. I've noticed this mostly in a car, but also with the thermostat in a house. The system is always subtly blowing hot or cold air depending on what setting you have, so the exact temperature you feel will be +/- 5 degrees probably.

While the temperature in the car is the same either way, when you have the A/C on it is blowing in air that is much colder than 72, cooling the car down, and when the heater is on it is blowing air that is much hotter than 72 in order to heat it up.

Let's try another question.  Which is colder, -40 degrees C., or -40 degrees F.?

Edited by Vroomfondel

WoT warning!

From Wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_conditioning:

"Refrigeration air-conditioning equipment usually reduces the absolute humidity of the air processed by the system. The relatively cold (below the dewpoint) evaporator coil condenses water vapor from the processed air (much like an ice-cold drink will condense water on the outside of a glass), sending the water to a drain and removing water vapor from the cooled space and lowering the relative humidity in the room. Since humans perspire to provide natural cooling by the evaporation of perspiration from the skin, drier air (up to a point) improves the comfort provided."

If your air-conditioning unit is causing condensation to accumulate on your items there is either something wrong with it (plugged drain or bad condenser) or it's really an evaporative cooler (swamp cooler).

My large window a/c unit usually has water in the bottom of the outside portion of the case where the condenser drains to (there is a kit for high humidity areas to drain that water away from the unit, otherwise it just evaporates to the outside air from the compressor heat), perhaps yours is plugged or it's freezing up inside? I have seen the entire outside portion of a window a/c unit frozen solid, as in ice building up in the case, because it was working too hard in 110F temperatures with 85% humidity in the gulf and the compressor never cycled off to defrost the coils.

I have been in many a server room where the a/c is keeping the air below 65F when it's over 90F with 60+ % humidity outside and not a drop of moisture anywhere.  The reason fans are preferred to a/c is cost, during the short lived fad of a/c equipped computer cases the cost to purchase plus the extra power to run it made it unrealistic therefore no sales and they went away except for server racks.

To the OP: Don't know if the answers your question at all but.

Heating and cooling are cyclic. You set a thermostat to 72F they usually use a +/- 1 to 2 degrees cycle.  Heating comes on around 70 to 71 and runs to 73 or 74 and shuts off.  Cooling would kick in around 73 or 74 and push it down to around 71 to 70 before shutting off.  If you use a window a/c unit like me usually the fan is blowing all the time and you hear the compressor kick in when the thermostat activates.  Your heating systems rarely have a continuous fan so that could account for some feeling of difference as the circulating air would feel cooler.