Sign in to follow this  
Guest beowulf

Shield Q+A

First things first .... skill gain.

This seems to be a touchy subject lately, all the ups and downs, players new to the whole shield thing yelling its too slow, I can't compete, not fair, I wasn't able grind it when it was extremely high, blah, blah, blah. Then on the flip side hardcore grinders screaming ' It's too fast , no easy button, It was difficult for me and it should be difficult for them...whine, whine, whine.

Think about it, when Rolf first upped it 20% a few weeks ago it actually gave some players a chance to 'bridge the gap' a bit. Which ( listen carefully peeps ) will increase PVP and in my humble opinion was a brilliant PR move by Rolf. If you guys want to get some new blood to fight with you will have to tolerate that same new blood believing it has a chance.

The people who have been doing it the longest have the most knowledge, have used fast gains, tolerated nerfs, had their skills halved, been boosted and nerfed some more....but guess what, still have the most skill. So relax, and feel free to pitch in with some of that knowledge. Let's raise the collective conscience with,

Shield Q+A

I'll go first ,

Q. Is my block rate affected by combat rating ?

I've noticed that when fighting a 'raging' unicorn it never seems to block so I just Inv. the thing and use my second weapon. However, I block ALOT against, say, a wolf or rat.

Q. Do enemy tower guards give good shield skill anymore? ( I know this was a popular way to train in the past ) ? And what about friendly TG's?

Q. Since aggressive creature seem to give better skill ( for the most part ) , how about hyenas/boars/gorillas? <---actually, do these things still exist, lol, haven't seen any of the above in... well forever.

Q. What does shield QL affect?  Block rate?, Block speed?, Block role?( success)?

Q. Does WoA do anything?

Q. Does shield skilling follow the regular [ql vs. skill level] paradigm?

.ie low levels use high ql , higher levels use lower ql shield

CR and shieldskill are two different things. CR governs your chance to hit, while shieldskill governs your chance to block. Naturally, a monster with higher CR is going to have a higher chance to hit you when you fail a blocking roll. TG's give no shieldskill regardless of faction, stronger animals give more shieldskill. Shield QL affects block chance and nothing more, WoA does nothing and the staple quality for training shields right now is about 30-40ql regardless off skill level.

Have to disagree about the 'stronger creatures give more skill' . Last time I was on I gained 1.3 shield skill with sleep bonus.... every time I blocked I gained .03 no more no less. Raging uni's bypass the shield completely ( zero blocks) so no skill, however rats , lions , spider I can block and thus give more skill. Rats actually seemed to give the most blocked hits and therefore the most skill. This was with 45ql shield 88CoC.

Stronger creatures have a higher difficulty ratio (ie, lower percentage to block) and thus following common Wurm logic - the closer the block chance is to 50%, the more skill you will gain.

Blocking the frak out of a rat is going to be pretty meaningless as far as skill goes since it's in the 80's-90's range - when have you seen a carpenter get to 90 skill by making planks all the time?

and when did a carpenter get to 90's by making rakes. his point is if you don't block, you're not getting anything

A Carpenter can get to 90 by making planks.  It just gets harder and slower :P