Sign in to follow this  
Hailene

Best Shield For Pve

I'm on a Freedom server, so I don't plan to pvp. Not even duel.  This would be for solo hunting 'round the deed.

So for defensive purposes I've heard large shields are the best, right?  I'm not TOO concerned about weight, so I've decided to use large shields.  So the question is whether to use a metal or wood one.  The metal one would be made of iron and the wood one cedar (cedar is the best for shields, right?)

Now are there any differences between metal and wooden shields besides their weight, the rate they take damage (wooden ones taking more), and the materials used to build and improve them?  Is the block rate and attack speed reduction the same across the board?

Thanks for the help.

I think that metal ones more effectively reduce damage. :)

For PvE Hunting I would probably suggest wooden. You'll always be next to a forest, so you can improve you shield once it takes a beating. I think wooden ones might be slightly harder to improve but being able to imp while you hunt is a massive bonus. I skilled up using large metal shield, if I was to start over I would use large or medium wooden shield.

I'll be staying mostly (actually, almost always) on deed.  The rate it gets damaged is of little concern to me.

Doctor, aren't blocks with shields all or nothing, anyway?  Unless you're talking about mitigating damage to the shield itself?

It's unlikely that I'd get far along with casual hunting 'round the deed.

So stick with a wooden shield then since they weigh less?

I would go with metal as it takes less damage and it also looks cooler imo

Actually now that I reread the wiki entry, it says that the metal shields mitigate more damage but damage quicker?  What's that about?  Do metal shields offer a combat advantage?

They all really are around the same, other than block rate vs arrows, and shieldbashing.

There are slight differences in block rate in melee, but not really noticeable at all.

For pure pve, I would recommend a small wooden shield, since it is the lightest.

Ok here is the deal ;) afaik there are complete blocks and partial blocks, i assume metal are better when partial blocks happen. 2, large metal shield have the highest block rate, the large ones are the best really. So LMS if u want the best shield i think, LWS (large wooden) if u want a more practical option and plan on making ur own shields. 

Its generally important to stick with 1 shield, i would get skill to 20 when u can fighting a cow or something, ask ingame for more detail on this, its common knowledge on how it works. ABout getting to 70 as someone mentioned, will take ages not the best target for a new player :\, i know it was fast before but it has been nerfed some time in the games history and now its alot slower so vets had/have a advantage there (when it was nerf is undecided amongst players)

Hope this helps personally i would go large metal shield, which is the most common shield and most readily available.

LMS is what, 4.5 kilos?  I got enough wiggle room to accept that.

Is the performance difference between a LMS and SWS all that different?  If I'm doing any substantial carrying (moving dirt, mining, wood cutting) I'm always, always driving a large cart.  A few extra kilos doesn't really bother me. 

From the sounds of it LMS is the way to go?

Honestly, if you're doing any sort of hunting take a two hander and fight aggressively.  I've trained up both longsword/LMS and huge axe and the difference is night and day.  You'll kill stuff faster, have more life after, and your armor will take less damage saving you money in the long run.

• Like 1

If you are not really interested in pvp, or not facing champs trolls all the time, is better to drop the shield, and get a nice 2h weapon and go aggresive figthing.

There isn't really any difference at all in block rate between LMS and SWS.

The other nice thing about small wooden shields is that you can take 3 easy to make components, stick them together, and the shield comes out at high ql, no imping required.

Edited by Kagrenac

I have large metal shield skill, but if I was starting again I'd definately go wooden - being able to improve the shield on the go with carpentry tools is really cool imo.

Just get LT on ye weapon and go aggressive no shield needed.

Actually, quite funny, is that I'm currently using a huge axe and studded leather.  Neither are particularly high (25-30 QL).  My FS is pretty low, like around 7.  I did train my huge axe skill to 20 by cutting down trees, though.

I've been taking an unacceptable level of damage from clearing the mobs near my deed solo, and I've realized I'm not gaining much FS by running to the guards.  I was hoping that going sword and board would allow me to solo mobs while taking less damage.

Using the huge axe means that I'm pretty much guaranteed to be getting hit since it doesn't parry all that well.  I also don't want to switch to chain mail since I'm doing chores 99.5% of the time.  Chain would slow me down too much for most of my duties and it'd be too much of a pain to switch it on for the rare fighting I do.

The biggest benefit of sword and board is that you can train your shield on docile mobs in relatively safety. Getting a good shield and 20+ skill in it should keep trash mobs off your back, well as giving you a chance for survival against tougher mobs. Kill some spiders for FS when you can handle them, they are the best risk/reward on Freedom imo

If you want to save yourself some time and money, get some shieldsmithing and go with large wooden shield. Wooden shields become high QL on creation if the parts are high ql (I make 80ql, no improve needed). If you bring carpentry tools with you on a hunt you can also improve it.

A shield won't help much without shieldskill, so if you don't plan on doing some shield training, I'd go with a two hander.

Good luck :)

Do some jobs for people or put a few euro into the game and get yourself a nice 70+ ql studded set and a 70+ql 2h with a Life Transfer enchant on it.

If you've got the above, along with a horse, even at 1FS you can kill a whole lot of the common monsters you will find. It seems like a large investment, but it is really worth it.

• Like 1