Sign in to follow this  
Suntzu

Remove Free Alts From Pvp Servers

Free characters should not be allowed on pvp servers. We learned that on wild. Certain people abuse the free character system and use it to drain traders, grief, and otherwise skirt the system.

Free alts have no place on pvp servers, especially in a game like wurm.

I don't think I'm capable of even fathoming the amount of times this has been suggested already. Unfortunately the problem with doing this is, it dwindles Chaos's playerbase even more. There are some legitimate noobs on Chaos, and even noob villages. It also makes recruiting new players over to Chaos even more difficult than it already is.

EDIT: That isn't to say that I don't find the abuse of them extremely annoying, simply saying that there are some problems with removing them entirely.

Edited by whereami

+1 free to play toons should only be allowed on freedom(but not on chaos) and when they want to get into pvp they can come to epic since mostlikely they will have prem

Edited by nosfirebird
  • Like 1

You can still abuse with a paid premium character, so I guess it lessens the chance of it happening, but not entirely.  -1.  

At least you agree its abuse. And at least they would have to pay so it would cut out a lot of it.

-1. That solves nothing, noobs who want to start on epic pvp (me for example, and my friend who also agreed to check out the game), will start on Freedom instead. Those who want to abuse and grief you will still do it by paying for their alt.

If you want new people start playing on epic - find ANOTHER way to deal with your problems - learn to play and defend yourself, for example.

At least you agree its abuse. And at least they would have to pay so it would cut out a lot of it.

Hmm, depends.  What I as a player consider abuse isn't considered abuse by game standards.  It's up to the players to have an "honor policy" about griefing, about tearing up fields, killing livestock, killing kingdom mates, walling off corpses.  All of that by the game's standards is perfectly acceptable, but does it make for better gameplay?  For some, yes, but for others, no.  Because this is a sandbox game you accept that there's no limitations of players doing what others call "griefing."  

Overall what you're suggesting would fairly limit new players joining Epic/Chaos, because some bad apples abuse doesn't mean there are not more (much more) new players trying the game and premming up and playing fairly, as "intended."  I think there's already a fair amount of restrictions on F2P as-is.  They can't ride mounts, they can't stealth, they can't lockpick (I think?), they can't bash into places, they can't tear up pavement/roads, they can't catapult.  The room to abuse is small, and it's mainly annoyances like attacking horses and f2p ganks on a single person.  

I think the easiest way to solve some issues would just be to attack same-kingdom you need premium.  That way you can still fight animals, enemies, but not your own players.  I think also the game would be better off (on epic of course) with more smart spy prevention.  You shouldn't be able to dual client with one character as JK in Elevation, and be on a MR alt on MRH, despite different servers they spy prevention should notice that.  A cooldown between kingdom-switching on accounts would be good too, maybe 20-30 minutes, so players couldn't easily just swap between alts of different kingdoms so freely.  

Edited by Postes

I think the easiest way to solve some issues would just be to attack same-kingdom you need premium.

A possible solution, but what if a prem char attacks or steals from a non-prem one? He won't be able to do anything in resposne.

And I agree that lots of people here call gameplay style they don't like 'griefing' and 'abuse', that is simply not correct and not honest to try solving your pvp gameplay problems by posting on forums, instead of fighting enemies ingame, and still call yourself SunTzu. Pathetic.

Then sure if they're engaged upon they can fight back, there's no real solution for alt-abuse that doesn't really indirectly effect other players or indirectly cause bigger problems.  

Ulfhrafn, on 07 Jul 2013 - 7:13 PM, said:

A possible solution, but what if a prem char attacks or steals from a non-prem one? He won't be able to do anything in resposne.

And I agree that lots of people here call gameplay style they don't like 'griefing' and 'abuse', that is simply not correct and not honest to try solving your pvp gameplay problems by posting on forums, instead of fighting enemies ingame, and still call yourself SunTzu. Pathetic.

How do you fight back against player who do there 'griefing' against deeds when theres no one online there? or when you do mount an attack against them they hide behind their deed and let the templars do their dirty work while they either log off or run into minedoors like cowards so they don't risk anything? Or even just log off when its clear that there gonna lose? Or if you're a mayor off a village and as such can't turn lawful off which puts limits on what you can do back? And even if you do kill them and do it repetitively they just go for easier target which inturn can drive newer player off?

Edited by godcomplex

How do you fight back against player who do there 'griefing' against deeds when theres no one online there? or when you do mount an attack against them they hide behind their deed and let the templars do their dirty work while they either log off or run into minedoors like cowards so they don't risk anything? Or even just log off when its clear that there gonna lose? Or if you're a mayor off a village and as such can't turn lawful off which puts limits on what you can do back? And even if you do kill them and do it repetitively they just go for easier target which inturn can drive newer player off?

i had the same limitations until i gave a diff toon my form. also i will never attack first and you can call me coward all u want when u show up with 6 ppl against me myself and i. you shoulda mined into my deed b4 i reinforced it that woulda been a very smart move. also when have i went for easier targets? if ur talking about joan those noobs just get into my way and im forced to deal with them when they try to defend joans deed.

also with the 6 ppl u had with u u all coulda easily slaughtered my templars and started beating my safe mine.

i had the same limitations until i gave a diff toon my form. also i will never attack first and you can call me coward all u want when u show up with 6 ppl against me myself and i. you shoulda mined into my deed b4 i reinforced it that woulda been a very smart move. also when have i went for easier targets? if ur talking about joan those noobs just get into my way and im forced to deal with them when they try to defend joans deed.

also with the 6 ppl u had with u u all coulda easily slaughtered my templars and started beating my safe mine.

Dude not everything is about you lol, get over yourself

Reinforced mines are but an illusion. Nothing in Wurm is indestructible.

How do you fight back against player who do there 'griefing' against deeds when theres no one online there?

that is not griefing, that is raiding. You propose that raiders wait untill you log on and then raid you? Or maybe ask you in advance about raiding your deed? Maybe even write a sign near your deed "I'm on vacation for 2 weeks, wait till I login and raid me then"?

Free alt can do nothing.

Even spying is useless when there is all kingdom live chats feed.

Dude not everything is about you lol, get over yourself

ummm all of this rep crap is based off of what i am doing right now.

that is not griefing, that is raiding. You propose that raiders wait untill you log on and then raid you? Or maybe ask you in advance about raiding your deed? Maybe even write a sign near your deed "I'm on vacation for 2 weeks, wait till I login and raid me then"?

No raiding is breaking into a deed and taking what you want then leaving, griefing i believe is when they break into a deed just to cause damage which is what happens most of the time

why would anyone spend time just to break into a deed and not take anything? the catapult bugged out and would not allow me to even catapult ur deed and then u logged in and i am unable to attack or even defend myself all i was able to do was kill horses

why would anyone spend time just to break into a deed and not take anything? the catapult bugged out and would not allow me to even catapult ur deed and then u logged in and i am unable to attack or even defend myself all i was able to do was kill horses

No raiding is breaking into a deed and taking what you want then leaving, griefing i believe is when they break into a deed just to cause damage which is what happens most of the time

Edited by godcomplex

Instead there should be changes that limit what free players can do in pvp. Free players should still be able to attack hunted people, but maybe they shouldn't be able to go hunted themselves.

Edited by Sir Arowhun

-1...i have multiple alts that i don't use for trader use not everyone abuses the system therefore i don't agree that f2p character should be off of the pvp servers especially with the simple fact that a new player cant get the feel for pvp in freedom the game is a lot different

raiding is raiding..if another kingdom attacks your deed it doesn't have to be to take anything. it is a war game and therefore it is not griefing..it is a raid or an attack. 

New players will never get the feel for pvp except by dieing. Free alts do not promote pvp they stagnate it.

New players will never get the feel for pvp except by dieing. Free alts do not promote pvp they stagnate it.

Anyone can participate in PvP, you don't have to be some god warrior to have effect.   Protections to keep Free alts from being abused are enough.   If you restrict free alts less people can come initially to experience the server, and the play style here.  For some the first contact they have with the server is by making a free player and coming over to check us out.  If they like it, and they usually do; my experience is that they do prem up once they get into the community and understand what is going on here, or they bring their main.    Free alts are essential for the continued growth of this server, just as they are important to the continued operation of the freedom cluster as a whole.   

Yeah because we have seen a huge balloon in population because of them... /end sarcasm

If you need free players to support your server they should just pull the plug now.

Did just fine without them for years, that is the weakest argument I have heard yet battlepaw.