Sign in to follow this  
Deth666

Breeding Has Changed

2 of my breeders that only have a grandparent in common, are now only giving bad traiters

is always a chance for a bad trait. Doesnt mean it is due to 'inbreeding'. RNG each generation chooses a 'new' trait dependant on generations the animal has...ie a first generation (born to two wild animals) can only have 3 traits maximum. additional generations allow more traits and there is always a chance that the 'new' one will be a bad trait. 

With any RNG 'choice' sometimes there are 'runs' of bad luck. IE meditating for 5 days with 0 med gains.....

Have you tried breeding them with others that don't have any close relatives? Rather than change a complex section on the wiki to say 'it's all luck', a little more data would be useful ;)

yes  2 5 traited horses with no parents have given me 3 bad traiters and no clean traits

when you say 3 bad traiters, do you mean 3 horses with 1 bad trait and some good traits (sounds normal to me from my breeding efforts) or you mean they only had bad traits (that WOULD surprise me)?

2 horses that have given me over 2 dozen clean traited animal(never a bad trait), are only giving me bad traiters(1 bad trait and some good traits) now

I am not seeing this with my horses that have no parents alive.  If they have alive parents then the chance for bad traits is of course there.  The system has always said that if you are in breeding the chance for bad traits is high.

I have had runs like this. Months of not a single bad trait, then a spate of malformed legs or illness  :o . It does appear to be random , but with a weird consistency. I had 5 foals born with keen senses one week, and not a parent or grandparent or great grandparent with that trait. My foals sometimes have grandparents in common and I haven't noticed a greater incidence of bad traits or new traits from them. I will post if the next crop shows any increase in this.

My Animal Husbandry is 81.64 and I will have runs like this as well.  I will breed 2 non related horses with the exact same traits and some times get some nice horse meat horses.  =)   

sometimes i could deal with i'm getting 90% bad traits(if not 95%)

Edited by Deth666

Considering what I read from the breeding suggestion that were implemented and observing what I got from breeding I could say breeding do something like this:

1. All traits are put into the gene pool, all of them are possible for the youngling to get it.

2. A percentage is added to the traits that the parents have.. so they have higher chance of reappearing.

3. System check for inbreeding and add them as percentage to negative traits.. so these negative traits have higher chance of reappearing.

4. Lastly... system check the breeder to determine minimum and maximum number of traits that will appear, and possibly low AH also give more chance of negative traits but possibily not as high as the #2 since I get healthy horses from breeding 4 speeds on 1AH? This is why that with 40 AH, you most likely get 4 trait horses even if you breed 5 trait ones, but sometimes you can get 5 traits OR 3 traits.. while 50AH have almost 100% chance on 5 traits and so on.. On side note, I tried breeding 7 trait with 5 trait with 43AH and get 4-5traits.. while breeding 0 trait animals always give 2-3 traits.

Edited by rosedragon

"Females will not breed while they are pregnant. Once the female gives birth, the animal can breed again."

There is now a cooldown between when a female gives birth and when she can get pregnant again. I haven't thoroughly tested it but it seems to be about 24 hours. Its functionally identical to the Male one "not in the mood" but has a much longer cooldown.

Can anyone confirm the amount of time between birth and ready for pregnancy again? Don't want to update with assumed information.

I have had people come to me with 72 hours of being unable to breed after giving birth.  Fat and won't take any more food, groomed, not branded recently, not related, on and off deed.

All I can think of is the cooldown after giving birth.  I always thought it was 24 hours as well but not sure how much wurm wiggle room is in that timer.

From the patch notes here, it states '...about 24 hours or the next restart'. 72 hours seems a bit far off on that.

Considering what I read from the breeding suggestion that were implemented and observing what I got from breeding I could say breeding do something like this:

1. All traits are put into the gene pool, all of them are possible for the youngling to get it.

2. A percentage is added to the traits that the parents have.. so they have higher chance of reappearing.

3. System check for inbreeding and add them as percentage to negative traits.. so these negative traits have higher chance of reappearing.

4. Lastly... system check the breeder to determine minimum and maximum number of traits that will appear, and possibly low AH also give more chance of negative traits but possibily not as high as the #2 since I get healthy horses from breeding 4 speeds on 1AH? This is why that with 40 AH, you most likely get 4 trait horses even if you breed 5 trait ones, but sometimes you can get 5 traits OR 3 traits.. while 50AH have almost 100% chance on 5 traits and so on.. On side note, I tried breeding 7 trait with 5 trait with 43AH and get 4-5traits.. while breeding 0 trait animals always give 2-3 traits.

Would like to revive this post. Firstly thanks to Rosedragon for posting the above. Very useful knowledge and if it is all accurate it should be added to the wiki page for AH.

Lately I've been beginning to think that the traits of the mother have a higher chance to pass on than the traits of the father. Anyone else seen that?

I wanted to know if anyone has any experience of the 'genetics' of colour inheritance with horses. Some colours do seem to be more dominant than others but I don't think this operates through proper mendelian genetics. Is there a way to reliably achieve a particular colour? Which colours are 'carriers' for the other colours? I think that grey and brown are more dominant colours than gold/white/black, but can't work out much more of a relationship between them than that.

Added my info about trait passing to the wiki.

Also wonder if any other breeders can clarify if animals have different difficulty on passing traits. I bred some hellhorses, crocodiles, brown bears, black bears, and wild cat. Hellhorses and crocodiles gave me 1-2 bad traits on first gen, brown bear and wild cat gave me 2-3 good traits, while black bears gave me 1-2 good traits. The numbers weren't great and I no longer breed them now.

Edited by rosedragon

Aye Ive seen different species that appear to have higher or less difficulty. I never really bothered to verify it myself.

I noticed it when I started breeding dogs after doing horses when they were initially implemented. The dogs had many more traits and better odds of getting good ones as compared to horses. Iirc I had 30AH on Wild server at the time.

However, this was well before Rolf overhauled the trait system based on some suggestions from Gaeron. Not to mention the current traits are heavily biased towards horses and other mounts.