Sign in to follow this  
Badgirl

Make Blood Effect Optional

Remove all the inappropriate content from the forums first if the blood is such an issue for the kiddies.

• Like 1

+1

While I personally love the blood spatter effect, if my children were a bit younger, I'd prefer a setting to turn it off for them.  I don't think that's an unreasonable request - it's fairly common in games these days that aren't rated strictly for adults.

In fact, I'm rarely against giving people options for anything.  The only exception would be when it causes an imbalance with mechanics, which this certainly wouldn't.

this says it well +1

+1 Surprised this wasn't considered when it was added.

There is splatters somewhere? Havent noticed that thing yet. :P

Mechanically speaking, I see very little problem with this.  That being said, a lot of the reasoning I see is superficial and illogical. 

To deplore a graphic representation of combat or death in a game in which you are attacked by animals and/or actively kill indiscriminitely for the sake of skilling up is the height of hypocrisy.  I do not glamorize death and destruction personally as I've been through quite enough of it over the last 15 years, but I don't shy away from the hard truth of it either.  It's a GAME.  Give your kids a little credit, or at the very least do your job and teach them the difference.

The 'gore' level in this game is infinitecimal, and in terms of blood spatter, negligible and hardly traumatizing to say the least. I've seen roadkill worse than this.  Put the option in if you like, but at least question your own sense of ethics first before immediately jumping onto the worn out excuse of "oh it's for the children."

• Like 1

Let's make a list of stuff to remove or change that may be offensive or morally incorrect:

The blood

The butchering

Horses that are used in 'slavery' to carry people, killed during pvp,  for leather products or because of unsuitable traits, potentially starved, to make fuzzy PETA friends happy.

Meat for vegetarian players

Eggs for our vegan friends.

Let's get rid of religion so as not to offend anyone who might see it as a mockery or slight of true religions in real life.

We should also remove the recently added banners on people, as it might suggest gang affiliation

Cows & deer's are next, DOWN WITH LEATHER and all leather products

Any animals that produce fur as it's needless, you DON'T need sleep bonus.

Also remove all carpentry, it  shows a shocking lack of concern for the environment and could offend budding young tree huggers.

Then fish go, resources aren't endless, it could give children irresponsible ideas.

After that the forges, campfires and ovens, playing with fire shouldn't be shown as fun, it's SERIOUS people.

Mountain lions are also endangered in real life, Google it, yet the game portrays them as suitable for hunting - that's very irresponsible , BAD ROLF!

Then yes by all means language and forum content.

Then we can also take sensitivity training with extra group hugs so as not to be judgemental or negative but offer valuable, supportive critism or alternatives..

Or maybe, and no judgement here, that parents could be responsible for limiting the content their children see with programs that they feel is unsuitable:

http://www.netnanny.com/

You're welcome.

Also (and again no judgement) just a suggestion, you could take yourself over to something visually and morally suitable to your needs or that of your child:

http://worldofsolitaire.com/

http://www.hellokittyonline.com/

I could of just asked "Where does it all end?" But that wouldn't have been NEARLY as much fun.

Edited by kajmir
  • Like 3

View hidden Post
Posted · Hidden by Tpikol, July 8, 2013 - off topic and personal atacks
Hidden by Tpikol, July 8, 2013 - off topic and personal atacks

Kajmir, I give you B+ for trolling but F for relevance.

I have the option to ignore people on both forums and in-game, I can turn off all channels except local chat. I can roleplay as a vegetarian in-game. I could spend time picking all your other "arguments" apart too, but I will just say this:

Personally I am not bothered by the blood effect, but that doesn't give me the right to patronize players who are bothered by it. I wouldn't be playing still if there was no phobia mode and I am forever grateful for that. All games that I have played that contain "gore" has an option to manipulate the amount of gore.

+1 for an option to disable the blood effect.

-1 to people ridiculing others because of a suggestion they make.

• Like 1

Um there are many things people do not like, put in under the phobia check box and turn it green like suggested.

I don't like winter.

Akin to the phobia mode, there should be an option to replace the wounds and gore with kittens and rainbows.

Man this guy's chest is covered in terrible wounds:

QFInKsn.jpg

Edited by Depends

I'd rather have the option to have more gore and less gore, instead of completely removing the blood effect (green blood for spiders/scorpions). Seriously, for some of you killing something with a huge axe is okay, but seeing the blood suddenly isn't. And as far as I know this game is not really suitable for kids. 

I'd rather have the option to have more gore and less gore, instead of completely removing the blood effect (green blood for spiders/scorpions). Seriously, for some of you killing something with a huge axe is okay, but seeing the blood suddenly isn't. And as far as I know this game is not really suitable for kids. 

For those of you against the idea; How does my being able to click a "no blood effect" check-box impact your game-play?? If you love to see blood fly, then don't click the check-box... The "gore level setting" idea is also a good one as long as it has an off option too.

I didn't make the suggestion just for kids, I am a 45 year old adult and I don't like to see gore in games. One of the reasons I play Wurm is because combat was not bloody, its more of a hit-miss dice roll thing which few games have these days. As for butchering animals, that is like looking at a slab of beef on the ground. I never butcher humanoid creatures such as goblins and trolls. Everyone should be able to play the game in their own way as long as it doesn't impact someone else's game play....

We hunt and children are well aware of animals and the value of life....however, when we hunt there is no such spatter continually spewing. We are not also on pvp for similar as well as other reasons. 

I guarantee there will be spatter if you try to kill a deer with a greatsword.

Not just blood, there'd be chunks as well.

Man I love the gibs, more gibs would be good come to think of it.

Dependant upon the type of wounds you have blood should drip from your armor too.

View hidden Post
Posted (edited) · Hidden by Tpikol, July 8, 2013 - off topic and personal atacks
Hidden by Tpikol, July 8, 2013 - off topic and personal atacks

Kajmir, I give you B+ for trolling but F for relevance.

I have the option to ignore people on both forums and in-game, I can turn off all channels except local chat. I can roleplay as a vegetarian in-game. I could spend time picking all your other "arguments" apart too, but I will just say this:

Personally I am not bothered by the blood effect, but that doesn't give me the right to patronize players who are bothered by it. I wouldn't be playing still if there was no phobia mode and I am forever grateful for that. All games that I have played that contain "gore" has an option to manipulate the amount of gore.

+1 for an option to disable the blood effect.

-1 to people ridiculing others because of a suggestion they make.

I think as a CA it's awesome that you have the option to ignore people in other channels:

[18:37:48] <Bigfreddii> 8==================D~~

Bet he likes that factor too. (Source GL chat, today.)

[11:37:07] <Wulfgar> pushing items across my deed while ignoring idiots on chat

At least your honest.

And yeah trolling is bad, you never do that.

[01:10:43] <Killgod> so yoru teh original Rudie owner?

[01:10:46] <Corrax> yes

[01:10:52] <Killgod> WB

[01:10:56] <Corrax> thanks :)

[01:10:59] <Wulfgar> thanks for the warning

It was 10 months ago, the true victim in all this had moved on, yet there is your 2 cents, while you had 0 involvement. Get over yourself. And while looking for this I found to my surprise several other examples of sarcasm, borderline trolling, etc from you.

Apparently it's ok for you to do it.

My posting was not so much an attack on the OP as a caustic cautionary reply , I myself am not a fan of spiders or butchered corpses, but in areas like this, where does it end. Today it's blood, tomorrow it's butchering, next week it's the killing of animals, things like this can snowball.

While in no uncertain terms, my post was sarcastic it did not fail to make a point, just that you missed it.

And you might have this reply removed for supposedly attacking you, it's your blind hypocritical reasoning that brought this on.

And did you pay attention to the fact that I have not once said I agree or disagree with the OP? No you didn't.

Edited by kajmir

Today it's blood, tomorrow it's butchering, next week it's the killing of animals, things like this can snowball.

Some feedback. I think this is your point kajmir and I agree. You are able to look past just the 'turn of blood' option, which is a valuable thing in this topic. I just feel it's a pity you can't just write THAT down, but have to get half the readers and a CA 'insulted' in a attempt to amplify your valuable contribution. By that you are accomplishing the complete opposite; making them read straight past it. And all drama and blood splatter for nothing. If you learn to phrase things more neutral you might actually get positive feedback on the good ideas you have. :)

i only see some tiny spattering - seems i m not using the right graphics. So

+1 to turn it off to the min,

+2 to turn it on to the max

^_^

Attention
This thread has been cleaned.
Continued failure to abide by the forum rules could result in accounts being penalized.

-1   I dont like the idea proposed by the OP  and I wouldnt like to see it implemented into the game.

There is no "gore" in Wurm, the game is already as mild as it gets.

The implications of extreme customization, based on every little thing that users may think appropiate or inappropiate for every single particular case, is that the game will become impossible to test for bugs.    Wich in turn will lower the game experience for every player, wether they use this option or not.

Some feedback. I think this is your point kajmir and I agree. You are able to look past just the 'turn of blood' option, which is a valuable thing in this topic. I just feel it's a pity you can't just write THAT down, but have to get half the readers and a CA 'insulted' in a attempt to amplify your valuable contribution. By that you are accomplishing the complete opposite; making them read straight past it. And all drama and blood splatter for nothing. If you learn to phrase things more neutral you might actually get positive feedback on the good ideas you have. :)

I have a feedback for you also.

You understood my point, whether you appreciate the heavily laced sarcasm that I employ is preference alone and yet even my sarcasm offered a point: "Moral Perception" but we'll get back to that..

You suggest I accomplish nothing with it, yet you yourself just proved that is not so in understanding me.

CA's, GM's and Dev's are not infallible. Assumptions were made about my posting that were incorrect (See the first 3 letters of Assumption?), I am frankly on the fence about the OP's suggestion, I but offered a prospective that when you come across a subject like this, it can snowball.

"but have to get half the readers and a CA 'insulted' in a attempt to amplify your valuable contribution"

Another assumption. I did not make an attempt to amplify my contribution. I attempted to make you all think about the main issue in this thread:

Morality and Perception.

Perception is EVERYTHING. What you or the person beside you or your neighbor or the guy who lives 3200 miles from you thinks is fair, obscene, gore, fun, dull, etc  won't ever be perceived the same by all of you.(Unless you're in some weird cult maybe or a yuppie discussing sushi and bmw's...come to think of it they might be a cult)

I'm not against the OP, nor am I for them. I am pointing out that to try and change Wurm  to people's moral code and perception of such could become extremely tiresome if not downright impossible.

Again I say: It's starts with blood being too gore, then it's butchered corpses offending the sensitive and animal rights supporters,  When does it stop?

Even worse you're trying to combined morality with perceptions.

No one wins in a thread like this but I did have a darn good time.

Good luck.

PS:

"Haven't given that a thought already. Good suggestion to include that in the 'kid friendly' No gore option. Butchered corpses would have the same graph of the non-butchered animal."

Your reply to my first, another assumption.

That would be the last thing I'd suggest. I'm a realist when it comes to children, I believe they hear worse on TV, at the playground or reading one of those foolish woman's magazines that fills them with fluff about how they should look, act and talk. Far more damaging then little Timmy or Beth playing Wurm and it being explained it's a game, not real and what is acceptable for fantasy and reality. If people are so concerned about their children, don't have them on internet, many things that go bump in the night surf the net - including cults and yuppies. *shivers* 

Edited by kajmir