Sign in to follow this  
Zealord

Shields And Shield Skill Won't Be Used.

My shield skills won't raise and my shields are not being used.

The character name is Adje and I'm on Independence.

I've been playing for quite a while, about 5 years (I think) and I have never ever gotten any use out of a shield. I tried all general fixes such as shield bashing over and over (which I did for a very long time and still no skillgain however I could bash) I never parry with a shield equipped or anything. This problem has never been submitted because I didn't feel the need to.

I contacted GM's ingame and they told me to go here.

Thank you in advance,

Zealord
(Adje)

No it's on my head.
It's in the shield slot of course!  ;)

train on a horse until you have like 20-30 than you should see something coc helps alot 

I think I mentioned in my post that it didn't work. Shields don't work, it's a bug in my character.

At low skill and using a low QL shield, it can be quite rare that you successfully block. Because of this, I advise using a pretty high QL shield (at least 50QL would be my advise) and initially practice against a weaker creature like a cow, bull, or young horse. As your skill raises, you'll notice that the block rate will go up to where a low QL shield still blocks depending on what you fight against. I would also advise using defensive fighting as well as either using no weapon at all or a very weak weapon. that way you don't accidentally or swiftly kill the creature you're fighting.

I hope this helps.

• Like 1

Again, it doesn't work. I have thoroughly tested it already.

Okay, let me sum your post up :

You have an account which you have been playing on Independence for about 5 years. During that entire period you have never been able to successfully use a shield.

Questions :

Have you tried using all the different shield types?

Have you been able to make the shield skills appear in your skill list at all?

Have you fought a wide range of creatures including hostile/non-hostile, tamed/untamed, offdeed/ondeed?

This problem has been present both before and after the 1.1 Paper Doll release?

What is your shield skill and what is the QL of the shield?

Edited by Sharkin

Yes, wood and metal.

Yes, in Golden Valley

Have you fought a wide range of creatures including hostile/non-hostile, tamed/untamed, offdeed/ondeed?

Yes to all

Yes for quite a while.

Edited by Zealord

i don't know man. you play this game for 5 years. and it never bothered you? why does it bother you now? and this is your first post after playing wurm for 5 years? smells like trolls..

What gain would there be to make a troll post about this type of problem?

Yes, wood and metal.

Yes, in Golden Valley

Yes to all

Yes for quite a while.

He's my neighbor and we tested with all shield types and stances - even in defensive mode the character can't block. It's almost as if he's locked into aggressive mode and has zero chance to block, all I can think of.

i don't know man. you play this game for 5 years. and it never bothered you? why does it bother you now? and this is your first post after playing wurm for 5 years? smells like trolls..

I played with pauses and usually used a 2-hander. I rarely ever fight on this game so. I take offense in you calling me a troll.

How about some combat logs and QL of shield? What is the players overall FS?

What gain would there be to make a troll post about this type of problem?

my friend u don't know what trolling is then:P

no one gets shield skill nowadays, not since the recent shields "update" was implemented. training on same mob stops giving shield skill after first 30 secs of combat or so, and when you hunt, you dont carry 100 1 ql shields, so every single mob would bust it in combat but you would have some chance getting skill. ppl hunt with high ql shields, so they can repair them least every 10-15 mins, not 5 times per mob killed. But high ql shields give no skill once you have 20+ already. so its just all.... oh, w/e

I am not going to deliberate on this topic any further. My character is bugged. It has been tested thoroughly by Leaf and Enki together with me.

Thanks for the support!

Skilling shields at low levels is DAMN awful. I have a toon on pristine which I was skilling a few months back, I spent many hours trying to set up skilling shields and I think I managed to get 10 skill. I have also recently made another new toon, I set him up with a 85QL shield!! right from the start!

[21:18:42] Medium wooden shield increased by 0.0201 to 2.374
[21:33:44] Fighting increased by 0.229 to 23.977
[21:33:44] Longsword increased by 0.0206 to 21.025

As you can see, that is the last shield skill tick I have received, and that was from shieldbashing. I have used a shield all the time since making the account, as well as a long sword. Shield skilling for newbies is messed up completely!! They should not be forced to spend hours sheildbashing animals in pens just to get a kick in shields, that skill should raise a lot easier while hunting! Please bare in mind that I tend to shieldbash pretty much once or twice a fight, I fight in normal stance, suggesting defensive is not an option as I have tested it on Pristine on my other toon only to have bad results too.

This needs tweaking for newbies.

I spent the whole day hunting here - literally 1-24 fighting these were the only times I blocked with my shield, I wasn't half-assing around either.

[11:15:24] Mature large rat tries to bite you but you raise your shield and parry.
[18:57:58] Old black wolf tries to bite you but you raise your shield and parry.
[19:23:36] Aged wild cat tries to claw you but you raise your shield and parry.
[20:09:45] Adolescent hardened mountain lion tries to claw you but you raise your shield and parry.
[20:38:00] Venerable starving mountain lion tries to claw you but you raise your shield and parry.

Edit: Previously Newbies could shield bash animals constantly for small gain per bash, which helped a bloody lot. With the shieldbashing nerf, capping shieldbashing 15 seconds per hit, it is godly hard to even get to acceptable levels the long way too!

Previously you could do 720 shield bashes an hour, 5 seconds apart constantly, now you can only do 180 because you have to wait 15 second per bash. I myself find it easier and time accurate to do them 5 seconds apart, as there's no waiting. With 15 seconds apart you have to wait and potentially forget to bash again.

So with how slow you gain skill due to very rarely blocking & shield bashing nerf, anybody starting out with shields that doesn't have a patience of a saint is very reluctant to get far.

Edited by MetalDragon

Previously you could do 720 shield bashes an hour, 5 seconds apart constantly, now you can only do 180 because you have to wait 15 second per bash. I myself find it easier and time accurate to do them 5 seconds apart, as there's no waiting. With 15 seconds apart you have to wait and potentially forget to bash again.

been playing wurm more than 18 months never ever seen shield bashing with 5 seconds delay. always been 15-20 seconds.

been playing wurm more than 18 months never ever seen shield bashing with 5 seconds delay. always been 15-20 seconds.

Which only shows you have been playing after the shield nerf.  I've not bothered to bring the shield bashing skill up since that nerf as it is not worth the time trying.  And my alt's affinity is in shields.