Sign in to follow this  
Eyesgood

Ask The Dev's Thread And Monthly Response

A Monthly Ask the Dev's Thread  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see a monthly Ask the Devs thread as described?

• Yes please.
    • No thanks.

I know we have a Questions and Answers thread, but most of the replies are given by players.  In the spirit of improved communication between the community and the developers, I would like to suggest that a Monthly thread be started called "[Month/Year] Ask the Dev's" -ex: "July 2013 Ask the Devs".  At the end of the month, the thread is locked to new questions.  Then, in the next month, while a new monthly Ask the Devs thread is building, the developers pick questions from the previous month and provide answers from the developers on the topics in question.  This single monthly response would then be entered as the last thread entry for that month once they have completed their responses.  Of course, the devs can pick and choose what to reply to and how much or little information is shared to the players.  Repeat process going forward.

Such an official Q&A would go a long way to clarify myths, explain decisions, and solidify the development path to the players.

We do want to further increase how much dev feedback is given. Another q&a IRC chat is potentially on the horizon and the monthly dev diaries should help to answer some questions as they progress. :)

to be honest id just like to see them begin to even act like they hear us  the only way I know im heard is when im warned for not sayng nice things or for telling truths

I watched SWG die and no one listened I called it even before it happened they started banning people for just saying things they didn't like in forums

Until I saw Doctorchese I didn't even think public relations existed in wurm

I have two premium accounts and bought allot of silver and helped allot newbies become premium so I have paid my dues :(

I don't know how I can be a better customer I guess I could just pay up and shut up as been suggested by the chat moderators but I just cant! the stupid American in me refuses to just be quite :(  please don't ban me ...... B)

• Like 1

to be honest id just like to see them begin to even act like they hear us  the only way I know im heard is when im warned for not sayng nice things or for telling truths

Devs and GM's are separate groups as far as knowledge of what happening to the code, and the policing of the game go ;)

Constructive criticism about either group is always welcomed, but it's when plain insults are hurled at the staff or comments like "This game is dying, it's pointless and stupid." that we tend to take action (sometimes there is constructive criticism hidden among the flaming, so if you do want it heard, try and turn down the heat ;) ). Most of us have pretty thick skins, but it only snowballs if left unchecked and wears us all down. We volunteer because we want to help, and we do what we can, but if we're all miserable, we'd all quit and THEN where would the game be...

As for the topic at hand, I'm all for more interaction between devs and everyone else. Lets just walk before we run though. Every time a change is made in this game (be it coding, graphics, rule changes etc etc), people clamor for the next step straight away. Lets let the videos develop a bit - tbh I could see the videos fulfilling the role of the thread the OP mentions and I prefer the video diaries to a faceless thread as far as interaction goes. As such, I would have to vote no to the poll at this point in time, because while I would like to see queries put forward, and answers afterwards, I don't think that as described in the OP is the best way to go about it. Man those threads would be long, and the same questions that didn't get answered the previous time would be repeated etc etc etc. It would be a bit of an unwieldy mess I suspect.

• Like 2