Sign in to follow this  
Kegan

Boat Bridge To Exodus

Well there is a boat bridge to ever other server but this one do you think maybe we should put one in that goes to exodus? I don't feel like messing with it myself but i do have an extra sailboat i would donate to the cause if anyone feels like taking on the project. 

i think there is no good accesible place on the north of this server for new players(which would be the only ones needing the bridge).

to get to the north people would need to either swim and drown trying to get to the north west continent or go trough the northmere desert and probably die.

i think there is no good accesible place on the north of this server for new players(which would be the only ones needing the bridge).

to get to the north people would need to either swim and drown trying to get to the north west continent or go trough the northmere desert and probably die.

We need highway here. I think that north east part of server would be best to place that boat bridge.

also Saraski is giving free 15 sailboats to anyone who would like to do such project :)

she/he is from deli though.

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/83393-shipbuilding-art/page-2

yeah if anyone wants the boats  their more than welcome, most of them are 65-70ql, i can make some anchors if someone can supple some extra lead. You'd just have to sail them down lol.

also i'm male xD

Edited, i counted the boats, i have 15, i know 1 ended up at Yaga's place, just never picked it up so thats 16 if he still has it / wants to donate it back too.

Edited by Saraski

Well it is not just new players that need it although that is what would use it most. I used all the ones last night to get my alt from Independence back to celebration. In exodus (well at all the ends really) there was an open rowboat and i used that to sail to the exodus boarder before crossing over into Celebration and /suicide to Tap. 

I guess this might be the only time i ever need to do that but it was nice to have them. I think it took less time then one would think but most of the servers have roads to each one making it pretty fast travel. Well anyway if someone wants to take it on just pm me if you need my boat. 

Here is a map of the south of Exodus and the North of Celebration next to each other to give you an idea of the problem.

gSZuJrE.jpg

In short: Exodus geography makes it easier to build a highway directly from the spawn to the south of the map while Celebration geography makes it easier from the spawn to the north-east area.

We need highway here. I think that north east part of server would be best to place that boat bridge.

To be honest, Cele needs more highways everywhere.

I still think the best way would be to have the exodus-celebration boat bridge from have a boat bridge from South Peal (exodys) to the Raramja area, then improve the local highway from Raramja to Goldcity, then add a sailboats bridge in the Northmere from Gold-City to Oak Harbor.

Edited by Serpentarius
  • Like 1

Posible solution?

2PRvdXS.jpg

The red line needs/should be adjusted depending on the viability and more important the complacency of the deed owners affected. The blue part is doable since northmere is shallow, and since a full landbridge is not needed there should be no inconvenience as long as a large enough breach to allow any ship to pass should be easily crossed by swiming. 

The red line needs/should be adjusted depending on the viability and more important the complacency of the deed owners affected. The blue part is doable since northmere is shallow, and since a full landbridge is not needed there should be no inconvenience as long as a large enough breach to allow any ship to pass should be easily crossed by swiming. 

There is already a road between Hermitage-Rageland and Sunder and there are few roads going north and a lot of space to build a decent highway between Hermitage and Karamja. The only part where deeds could be problem is the area north of Tapdance really. Also the area around goldcity is a swamp so i hope people like to build floorboards.

I'm working on updating the roads on the map north of Tap Dance at the moment since the one that is there has since been blocked off by someone. I'd be more than happy to help flatten/mine/floorboard whatever needs to be done tho, if someone could provide mats for any floors that were needed xD making them is annoying enough as it is.

I'm working on updating the roads on the map north of Tap Dance at the moment since the one that is there has since been blocked off by someone. I'd be more than happy to help flatten/mine/floorboard whatever needs to be done tho, if someone could provide mats for any floors that were needed xD making them is annoying enough as it is.

Must be me. Sky hill place I believe.. we are making the place ready for the road to go around it. east side, Faerus has been busy with it up there.

Edit: Its right next to Garland castle. 

Edited by TailosDenmark

Must be me. Sky hill place I believe.. we are making the place ready for the road to go around it. east side, Faerus has been busy with it up there.

Edit: Its right next to Garland castle. 

Oh I didn't mean for it to sound rude xD I apologize if it did. Thanks for the update tho. I've been busy with RL but now at least I know where the road is intended to go :D

Karmaja no longer exisits..there are plenty of hiways in this area though and I can probably get a hiway from the coast to the main stretch of hiways Starting near sparta..allthough i need to check that area again...the area that used to be karamja is locked up hard till you get near arfen house..so basicallty between arfen  and sparta is pretty locked up except in a few places. If you want to come in through Sparta it could probably be arranged.

One other note..there is a large hiway that runs from arfen to sparta just behind the coastline. there are 2 other hiways connected to it..one runs south..the other runs south and west to the desert.

The other hiway running south that goes through Golden Maple has some issues...GM's have said that its not a hiway running through this deed so its locked up. Its possible to build around it though.

I also have a request in to Oracle about a specific hiway that would be between Silme Aer and Auorvial (Old Karamja and illiad ridge deeds) If its allowed there will be a coastal entrance there that connects to the main hiways....but this is uncertain atm.

Also as far as new players in this area..its pretty hostile up here in the north..even for players that are well prepared. The sheer amount of mobs is the greatest issue. Lots come up here to hunt..and for a good reason. I would caution any new player from wandering around in the north for long..thier corpses litter the area. Locals try and keep the area clear...but after a spawn cycle..the place is pretty rough to say the least.

Edited by sunsvortex

there is way to do that from south sea pearl all to cele first land... but that is alot of work....  we already work on highway project with land bridge.... from WP to SP witch take us alot of time....

anyway if team get thogether for that we are ready to give help with it...  we plan first to make land bridge... but since that takes alot of dirt we cant afford so much time alone....  we waiting bridges or tons of dirt delivered :D

Edited by RockyBalboa

Speaking of highways ... maybe we should have a topic for it. The entire western-central part of the map looks highway free but I've been working on one forever. I was going to submit it to the map when it was done but at this rate is will never be done ...

Oh I didn't mean for it to sound rude xD I apologize if it did. Thanks for the update tho. I've been busy with RL but now at least I know where the road is intended to go :D

No worries, didn't see it as rude  :)

Im from Golden Maple View. and i am against this new road. why am i against it you may ask, well to put it simply, there are already lots of paths up here, most of which are up at the very north and go nowhere, the others they head down south and you can easily follow them, and that stretch of water is swimable no need to put tonnes of dirt into it, ive swam it many a time when bringing noobs up to my area.

and one final thing, how about you ask the locals about this first, not all of us watch the forums

however i have no complaints about the boat bridge

Edited by FireRider

Posible solution?

Im from Golden Maple View. and i am against this new road. why am i against it you may ask, well to put it simply, there are already lots of paths up here, most of which are up at the very north and go nowhere, the others they head down south and you can easily follow them, and that stretch of water is swimable no need to put tonnes of dirt into it, ive swam it many a time when bringing noobs up to my area.

and one final thing, how about you ask the locals about this first, not all of us watch the forums

there is always someone who dont support public things like highway, markets, bridges.... any sort of public things....  persons like this must be kosed in most deeds ...  shame on guys who dont support public interests....

I agree with Tpikol's assessment of the proposal in that the idea of having a boat bridge is impractical when you get right down to it. I'll go ahead and list out some problems with this:

1) Planning and ultimately creating the highway far enough west to avoid deeds will not be easy and there will be disputes if someone tries to make a straight line down like KunAlt's idea. This is mostly due to the fact that there are already at least two paths that lead South in that general area that I know of. Fireriders is grandfathered in and a highway will not be going through his deed, which leaves the option of carving up the area west of his deed more and making the area look more like crap but of course the people who do not live in the area will not care (which are the ones who would build this) because "for the greater good".

2) Most everyone from other servers complain about the lack of highways in Cele, but the truth is that the geography makes them impractical for most purposes because getting places is often easiest by boat or boating while leading a horse if travelling any distance inland. Virtually all places of interest I can think of can be reached by boat. This server is Waterworld.

3) Like Tpikol mentioned, this idea is mainly for new players who can't/won't make a rowboat or those running an alt to Exodus if for whatever reason they can't sail on over to Cele and pick it up, which is very easy to do via Northmere Canal. This makes the impact of implementing the highway along with the boat bridge very low for its intended purpose. 

4) A landbridge across the entrance to Northmere will be poorly received by the community.

5) The stretch north where the highway would be will be dangerous, especially with the low number of guard towers in the general path suggested and increased mob counts. Since this idea is primarily for new players they will not have the FS or equipment to fight their way through...get hit once and they'll be starting over from the beginning.

Edit: Points three and five have the idea of someone moving a character from Cele to Exodus in mind. As far as moving a character from Exodus to Cele I am not against only implementing a boat bridge. This is because if you're using a boat bridge I'd wager the character doesn't have much to lose by committing suicide once in the server to get to TD otherwise you'd at least own a rowboat.

there is always someone who dont support public things like highway, markets, bridges.... any sort of public things....  persons like this must be kosed in most deeds ...  shame on guys who dont support public interests....

Of course Rocky, who lives on Exodus and will not be negatively affected by this, says that the dissidents should be KoS'd server-wide. That's a very extreme statement and wins no supporters for it. The benefits of the boat bridge and highway for its intended purpose are quite low and the costs far outweigh it, which makes supporting its creation quite foolish.

Edited by Laiwyn
  • Like 2

Posible solution?

seeing as your just going to quote what you said and highlight a few words in red, ill do the same and explain why.

yes you did say to the complancey of the deed owners, however you have yet to even ask them, i doubt most even know about what you guys have planned, the least you could do is give them the topic url. Or do you want to make plans and then have every single local here say no to them?

Did anyone here made any plans? I don't think so, I see only some thoughts. No need for getting angry.  :)

Yes, because that's the mature and courteous thing to do. What are you, 8?

If someone doesn't support an idea, then they don't have to help. It's as simple as that. Bullying someone because they don't share your mindset about how to play a game sounds like griefing to me.

Careful coming to Northern Celeb...Id say that comment wore out your welcome.

Couldnt agree more with Laiwyns post.

IM not opposed to a boat bridge or a highway going to TD from up here..however. I dont think there is any reason to get anywhere near Fires place.Its easy enough to connect to existing hiways..saves a lot of issues all the way around. IM going here in a few to survey it all...and iirc (as I dont go south much except to the mountains) there is a hiway most of the way to TD. But Ill ride that way to confirm it still exists.

Ok after doing a bit of survey  - youll want to tak with Cymmy when your around Hermitage, Solitude and or Rain Valley..once he gets you past there..you can go till your near the area of Monestary. From there your looking at maybe 40 to 50 tiles tops (going west) till you can connect to the existing hiway systems that will give access to all of North Central Celeb from Arfen House to Sparta..and there will be no need to go anywhere near Fires place. Once Cymmy gets you past his places..just PM me and Ill get you to the existing hiways for the connection...there really should be no issues with deed owners doing it this way as after Monestary its all uninhabited till you hit the connection point.

Edited by sunsvortex

I was just pointed to this topic. Lucky thing I guess. I will tell you now that my deed crosses the entire gap that would give you access into the south of it (hermitage is my deed) you can go through and on down through rage land but after that you will hit sunder and it is locked up tight. I cant say that I like this idea at all considering how every single person that would be travelling down from there would have to cross my deed. Much of the land north of my place is littered with bits and pieces of highways and wreckage and also FULL of hostiles. Plenty of times I almost die and I can take care of myself in some pretty sticky situations. I guess the main thing that bothers me is the need for this highway, is there really one? (and just so you know I am not opposed to highways, I just finished building one that goes around the entire west side of the bay.)

edited to add: I should point out also that there is a road system already built up here that would require no building near my place at all but it ISNT highway you still need to figure out how to get around sunder. 

Edited by Cymmy