Sign in to follow this  
shakys

Drawbridge

Hey, I think a drawbridge would be a good idea for the game and an alternative door, where you would have the option to lower it maybe takes so many seconds and same to raise, but when its down it would drop on tile on front to walk on. so would allow a moat or a space between dirt walls and maybe another outer wall for better protection. 

like image below ;)

Lagos48.jpg

• Like 3

This might actually be possible now.  If you have tiles abc and the drawbridge is on tile a, have it connect to tile c.  No clue what would happen if an object or character was on tile B though.  And how would it know to open for someone allowed through?

If we want it, we have to figure out some of the problems and fixes for them and then hand the devs a plan at least semi-finished.  Worth a shot at least.  =)

No clue what would happen if an object or character was on tile B though.  And how would it know to open for someone allowed through?

Just let em all fall down in to the moat with crocodiles. Put permissions on it like a mine door and maybe have a leaver on the inside so it can be lowered by enemies :P .

There we go, now we only have to figure out what to do about the tile between the drawbridge and where it meets the ground.  =)

Maybe a detection of if the slopes on the 'moat' tile are steep enough for dirt to slide away when the lever is used and if not, won't open?

Yessss it is in the long term plaaaans. Me wants it!

How can we make remote control levers believable in a mideval style environment?

I.e. a lever to push to open / close the drawbridge placed somewhere in the castle.

No red stone, No electricity, Magic? Maybe... hmmm..

Maybe do it the way they did it in real life. (pullys and crank)

i would have said if a villager just walked up to the drawbridge right clicked on it, Open / Close is all you really need and a long wait maybe like 1 minute counter for a it to open or close as they really built for defence purposes only so most of the time i would believe the bridge would be down.

in regards to if someone is on tile in front just make it so the bridge refuses to open, should solve most problems

Edited by shakys

How can we make remote control levers believable in a mideval style environment?

I.e. a lever to push to open / close the drawbridge placed somewhere in the castle.

Spirits

Maybe do it the way they did it in real life. (pullys and crank)

This!

As stated, pully's and cranks, use rope, cogs, gears, etc and make a winch / pulley, light weight = rope, heavy like wood  = iron chains.

Bamboo Drawbridge; http://www.pioneeringmadeeasy.co.uk/bridges/images/drawbridgev2.jpg

http://i30.tinypic.com/30uags0.jpg