Sign in to follow this  
Coren

Interest In Heavy Role Play?

Hey there everyone, I've been playing Wurm off and on for a few years now. For the last few months I've been running a total immersion, heavy role play guild in LotRO. After playing Wurm for so long, I felt restricted in what I could do in that system and wish I had some of Wurm's features to implement into my role play.

Well now, that itch for Wurm brings me back. I was wondering if there was any interest in heavy role play in Wurm, or if there are already villages who role play all the time?

By heavy role play, I mean role playing our actions in sentence or paragraph form while we immerse ourselves into the setting. A lot of players already do this without writing, but I enjoy writing and the storyline and I'd like to take it a step further. I've created my own dice system that works well with chat role playing, which means I would be GM'ing many plots to involve the people in our group. (Hopefully others would like to GM as well). I also don't want to play with those who just want to work on their skills the entire time. I'm not a stat grinder, and I don't feel the need to force others to get to a certain level either. I'd like to spend our time role playing conversations, events, and conflicts; while also exploring the world, building, and creating a community.

The plan is to create many plots and stories as we go, but I figured the beginning of our story would be a simple one. Our characters would be from a village that was ravaged by trolls. We were displaced and forced to roam the lands for a new home. We would have to live off the land or by helping others until we find that right spot to call home.

This plot would start us out as vagabonds. We would travel during the day, visiting various homesteads and offer our assistance for trade or beds. We would stop at night by a campfire and reminiscence of the good times.  We could travel the servers and meet different people or spend the day running from giant spiders. The stories we could weave are endless as long as we have like minded individuals. Though, I'd like to use my dice system for GM led plots, so I hope there would be no objections there. We would still PVE and rp that out as well.

I figure keeping it to the PVE servers would be best, most likely the newer ones. If you're interested, please respond here or skype me at: coreyshall . I'll be in game as Coren as well but it would be better to reach me on here for now.

Edited by Coren

Buffalo. But I think we're on different pages here.

I am so glad my town never got ravished by orcs. Not just because they don't exist in Wurm, but the cleanup and the shame would be endless.

Perhaps you meant ravaged, and trolls.

I can't say as I would be interested because to me, roleplaying is immersing yourself in a role that you choose, and not directed by someone else. A basic premise is fine, but to determine everyone's fate and level of participation while they just interject "appropriate phrasing" isn't roleplaying.

Edited by Punnikin

I guess the LotR's got to me a little bit. Trolls then.

To those who may be interested in this role play; I've made a website for the group at http://gashmere.enjin.com . Take a look and apply there if you're interested. I'll also be making a thread in the village recruitment.

From personal experience its always good to have a safeword, regardless of the form of roleplay. Out of character!

Speaking of roleplay (or at least LARPing, not SCA). At first it looks like the kind of lowball, semi-stupid comedy that I dislike. On the other hand, Peter Dinklage, and he seemed to be having fun.

Sooo... Im torn and confused. See for yourself,

Edited by Klaa

Aww no pvp server :(.....

I like playing on epic, which is where I'm usually play, but I don't think role playing there would be great. We'd probably be griefed nonstop.

We could cut that off at the pass and RP as a band of merry griefers!

Personally Id like to see an RP group do well in wurm, however I doubt that I would personally participate in any of it. Wurm is a great place for RP as everything is up to the player but unfortunately when most people see RP they think of snotnosed nerds ERPing in Goldshire. It's sad but a lot of people nitpick and harass RPers to where it's just not fun. ~That~ is my opinion on the matter, from personal experiences. I stay 'in character' most of the time in wurm anyways but I wont go into 'RP' like emoting everything. If someone shows up in my local and are not typing to me as if they were 'txtin ther bffs' I'll reply as if I were my character most often. Good luck on this, From my experience you'll need it!

on a side note, related, i've often considered what a week or month like LARP-Wurm-RL sojourn would be like.

Gear up, forge our way into the wild lands (Alaska is prime for this, lol) and do what comes naturally to any Wurmian. (flatraising the forests and taming bears!)

Yeah, I am starting to realize that interest for role play might not be too high in Wurm. Anyhow, I've returned to Epic and will be playing there. If others are interested in role playing you can seek me out there. Even if we do not play in the same village it would be nice to have a list of those who do rp.

but unfortunately when most people see RP they think of snotnosed nerds ERPing in Goldshire. 

Every time I see ERP it incites in me a blind rage.  Made the huge mistake of joining an RP server on Tera and now I want to track people down IRL and pummel the crud out of them with a brick.

This is why we can't have nice things.

I agree. RP is very hard to enjoy when non-RPers can openly join in (and potentially ruin it for everyone). Back before I fixed my wurm-constantly-crashing issue I resubbed my old WoW account for about a month and even spent money to transfer a character to an RP server. Needless to say it was pretty terrible, but that also has much to do with the game itself and the 'crowd' it attracts. Hell I even tried a different RP server and there was none what so ever going on within it. If you tried to RP on that realm it's own players would make fun of you and just say 'this isnt an RP server go ERP somewhere else scrub'. That about sealed the deal for MMO"RP"Gs, and WoW in specific. Good thing I got wurm back up and running because at least in wurm i can RP in subtle ways and don't have to follow a strict set of lore nor have to deal with how different races are supposed to act, etc, etc. While all of that can be fun at times it's just too restricting and too many people break the lore which can also make things unenjoyable but that's not what this is about. 

I've probably strayed too far from the topic already, guess I got a little inspired by the OP and then no one really took it seriously after that, kind of game me flashbacks of much worse times. I miss the old Yahoo User Chatrooms, LOTS of good RP back when those were around in prime. T1 story based, T2 (7, 10, 7, 12), and T3 (I think this was just first to connect, seal. dont remember too much of it or if i even got the descriptions right. It's been over a decade iirc).... A few lesser known ones... Never knew what kind of tavern or fight you were going to find yourself in XD

I've probably strayed too far from the topic already, guess I got a little inspired by the OP and then no one really took it seriously after that, kind of game me flashbacks of much worse times. I miss the old Yahoo User Chatrooms, LOTS of good RP back when those were around in prime. T1 story based, T2 (7, 10, 7, 12), and T3 (I think this was just first to connect, seal. dont remember too much of it or if i even got the descriptions right. It's been over a decade iirc).... A few lesser known ones... Never knew what kind of tavern or fight you were going to find yourself in XD

You played in Ayenee? Me too. Those were great times. What rooms did you frequent? Characters? If you're were playing in Yahoo, why wouldn't you particpate in something in Wurm?

Ayenee? That does not ring a bell. It has been quite a while and i've read many of books and played many RPGs since then. I do recall frequently visiting Moonlit Tavern (or something along that lines and that was a common chat name). I was a young teenager at the time and heavily interested in the German language so I mostly trot around as Damon Drache (which translated Demon Dragon out of this old Eng <-> Ger dictionary I had at the time (what kid wouldnt name his character 'demon dragon', huh? it's rather embarrassing now))

Anyhow. Times have changed, I suppose. I barely have time just to play wurm anymore, I guess the thought of moving off (or starting over via epic) is just a bit discouraging. Who knows? Perhaps i may one day.

Registered just tae post on this.

I'm all up for roleplaying, however you are relying too hard on reserving yourself as a game master; managing the RP rather than engaging in it. There's also very little that would be appropriate for dice rolls in Wurm. Plenty of that stuff is already in.

I could muster up another bud or two and we could get some roleplay going on, but it would be no fun if there's a huge level gap between us, so new characters would pretty much be a necessity.

Sounds amazing, though. What server would be ideal for this sort of thing? I hopped on the various servers and they're all pretty much inhabited or covered in derilect walls and enclosures, which are just awful to navigate around and fit in the scenario of being in the wilderness.

roleplay would be cool, but you need lot of wildness with no other people around to avoid getting disturbed.

Just imagine: 

You are a tradesman and your ship sunk and you stranded on a island with 5 other survivors.

The only skill you have is speaking, but this will not keep you alive......

try to escape....

I sharpen a stick and roll for initiative...

Every time I see ERP it incites in me a blind rage.  Made the huge mistake of joining an RP server on Tera and now I want to track people down IRL and pummel the crud out of them with a brick.

This is why we can't have nice things.

I was on celestial hills. I did not play elin. I agree with the need for beatings.