Sign in to follow this  
Deathangel

For All The Other Zombie Lovers Out There:

I have recently been convinced to bring up the topic of zombies. The idea is pretty basic and simple, but to perfect it, the coding might not be. HOWEVER: It would be a great addition, and bring much joy to the hearts of us fellow zombie lovers.

I will start off with the vague idea, and then add on ways to polish it up.

BASIC IDEA: All corpses that aren't buried within 24 hours of death, will drop all items in a pile that said corpse may contain*, and rise from the dead. They are now part of a different creature cap limitation than regular spawns. The corpses are now zombies, with slow movement speed and the same difficulty as the creature that the zombie previously was. (zombie mountain lion would be same difficulty as a mountain lion..)

Zombie mob specs:

agro to eachother = no

Tame = No

Swim = up for discussion

Eats = meat/butchering products (possibly corpses)

classified as Zombie (not animal nor monster)

aggro= only to non-lib followers

dommable= no

ridable = of course not

lair = spawns from 30hour old corpses

butcheringprod= rotten flesh? (perhaps can be used in sorcery...)

All zombies have the same movement speed, say 8km/h. (up for discussion, needs vote if added*)

Zombies are the same difficulty as what creature they previously were.

Zombies use the same models as what creature they were, but with a slightly different texture (may include blood splatters, missing limb, etc.)

Zombies have very good senses and are attracted to sound only. They roam somewhat consistently, stopping only for short durations. They attack mainly players (regular animals should run from them!(faster than zombies can walk)).

Sounds that attract Zombie mobs may include:

1) regular movement sounds

2) crafting (improving/building sounds)

3) combat noise (from long distances too)

ADD-ON FEATURES (may take a lot of coding):

1. Zombies avoid daylight. When day comes, they go to the nearest cave wait inside, until night time. At night time, they roam the wilderness.

2. Zombies group together and travel in hordes of a maximum 20 per horde. When zombies occasionally are within 20 tiles of each other, they group together and travel in as a single group. At night, when zombies meet in the same caves, they will group up then aswell. To make this feature possible, "hordes" would need to be coded.

3. Hordes: each zombie is it's own horde (party/group/team). Every horde has a max of 20 slots. Each zombie = 1 slot in a horde. When a "horde" of zombies is within 20+/- tiles of another horde, they will merge, and travel as a larger horde. Ex: 1 zombie joins up with another nearby zombie. This horde then ventures during the night and happens upon another horde of 5 zombies. They then merge together (combine) and are now a horde of 7 zombies. "Hordes" are most likely to be formed in two ways: 1) 1 horde traveling within the 20 (up for discussion on the radius/horde cap) tile radius of another horde. and 2) At daytime/dawn(just before sunrise), zombies will go to the nearest cave for protection from the sun. While the day is passing, they will then merge together and form larger hordes of zombies. (they are within 20 tiles of each other in the caves)

Still needs more thought - I will add changes as needed. Please feel free to post your ideas below! (Perhaps this could mix in somehow with the new sorcery features in the future...?)

Thank you for your kind support.

Edited by Deathangel
  • Like 6

Zombies CAN 1/2 regular FS, and can also be 1/2 difficulty than the mob they were before. (Needs a vote if this gets in)

Zombies have a creature cap like regular mobs, just seperately.

THIS CAN BE VOTED ON to decide on if it will be PvP servers only, or all servers.

Zombies don't live forever. They can roam for x days before they die. (2?)

Zombies heal when they eat meat/butcher products.

Zombie resurrection can somehow be tied in with thunder storms, when lightening strikes an area. All corpses within the proximity have x% chance (or 100%) to raise from the dead. This would replace the 24 hour old corpses rising. 

Zombies can be weaker during the day.

Much of the details are up for discussion, still needs revising. Updating this post with ideas I think fit.

Edited by Deathangel
  • Like 1

I hate zombies.

Wurm for the most part seems to be loosely based on a medieval theme with some fantasy highlights.

Not a sci-fi semi-horror\thriller zombie apocalypse.

They may be fun for the occasion dev driven event, but otherwise imo they would break the theme.

I am but one person with my own opinion, but you asked so there ya go :)

Cheers

+1

I don't even know why they put kill zombies etc... to personal goals when THERE ARE NO ZOMBIES IN THE GAME. Really stupid if you ask me 

I will be editing the second post with optional changes/left out information.

+1 Hell yeah this sounds like a amazing idea :D i love zombies and would love to have them in :P 

huserx seems to forget that the living dead were feared throughout history. even before wurm's time setting.

i say 100% yes.

this reminds me of Two World's (1) with sprit critter respawn after death. i loved that.

so again. 100% yes, do this, don't make them weak.

oh.

they heal when they eat players.

make them runners. 12-14 km/h. not quite as fast as a agile player.

don't make weak ass zombies. make them killers. make them scary.

and none of that silly pvp only nonsense, that ruined valrei forever. i hope it blows up. jackal should smash into valrei and kill the gods for that stupidity.

Fast zombie vs slow zombie debate!

Wouldn't mind the rare zombie. Could have increased rate on mycelium or Libila holy days.. Grave stones could also have a chance of producing them :)

+1. Maybe deathcrawlers could reanimate corpses to fight along side them. Being bitten one could have a chance of turning you into a zombie on healing ticks, kindof like poison damage.

Edited by Sir Arowhun

+1

I remember the good times when GM spawned zombies on Golden Valley and at Freedom Market on Independence. :)

I will start off with the vague idea, and then add on ways to polish it up.

BASIC IDEA: All corpses that aren't buried within 24 hours of death, will drop all items in a pile that said corpse may contain*, and rise from the dead. They are now part of a different creature cap limitation than regular spawns. The corpses are now zombies, with slow movement speed and the same difficulty as the creature that the zombie previously was. (zombie mountain lion would be same difficulty as a mountain lion..) 

Please no.

BLH would be covered in hundreds of zombie dogs and trolls.

The automatic res after 24 hours would also screw up people that need fresh corpses to zombify, if corpses only last 24 hours now, it makes it even harder than it already is to keep stocked up on them.

Some other form of spawning would be nice, possibly either scenario or time related, or restrict this to human corpses i guess, but human zombies are terrible.

Generally that zombies that currently exist are much weaker than their living counterparts, since everything they have is halved. They also get some natural armor for being a zombie though, which is nice.

It would be cool to see zombie people actually be somewhat able to fight at all, i guess if they spawned naturally and grouped up in hordes, they might actually stand a chance at killing someone.(if they managed to get weapons somehow)

Edited by Kagrenac

Fast zombie vs slow zombie debate!

fast of course.

Slow zombies rarely even need a double tap. Fast ones... essential.

Besides the emo flappy arm method they usually use in running is hilarious.

Neither yes or no for me! Zombies are in the game but specific to BL I can't see many people wanting infestations of them on freedom! One thing I would love would be a separate instances server for groups of players to enter upon entering you start with noob tools and have to build up and defend against armies of zombies like a mini game! But Rolf would never do this so it is just a dream for me!

I think they should only rise in Libila influence.

That way HotS areas would be covered in zombies.

Touching/opening/butchering/picking up the corpse would remove their ability to rise and they need to be a certain distance from an altar to rise.

aggro= yes

Change this to: aggro = non-Lib followers

Something like that maybe?

• Like 1

go hots or go home 

if they are green to hots then +1

Edited by Che

They are now part of a different creature cap limitation than regular spawns

This bit makes no sense.

Overall I dislike the idea. Mobs that die should be replaced by new living versions, not some other slowed down version in exactly the same spot. I'm picturing people farming FS with any mob they like just by taking the corpses and putting them in a pen for when they are ready to fight them. Also a lot of griefing potential. There's a reason most mobs can't pass house doors...

Those aren't on freedom though.

there's the ability to be hots priest on chaos which is a part of freedom 

+1

I don't even know why they put kill zombies etc... to personal goals when THERE ARE NO ZOMBIES IN THE GAME. Really stupid if you ask me 

There are zombies, just pretty rare.. I believe it was a libilia spell that took creature corpses and made them into a zombie <creature> tamed/charmed pet.  I don't know the full story but Tyre was infiltrated with hordes of the undead at one time soon before I joined Wurm.  Pictures may still be floating around.

+0.5   instead of 24hours why not 30hours, I can see people collecting corpse waiting for them to respawn for the FS skill