Sign in to follow this  
Mythix

Change Language On Examine Tile Border (Away And Towards)

Change language?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Should the language on examining a tile border be changed?

• Yes! The language should be consistent with mouse over and examine!
    • No! It should stay confusing as heck!

I think the language should be changed when you examine a tile border.  Right now it's very confusing for a new player to understand.  "The slope is 10 dirts steep away from you."  or "The slope is 10 dirts steep towards you." New players often ask, "Does that mean 10 dirts higher?  Or 10 dirts lower?"

When you reach 15 digging, the mouseover tool tip says "(tile border) 10 slope down" or "(tile border) 10 slope up".  Why can't the examine tile border show similar language?  

I vaguely recall when I first started being confused by this as well, but recently it's come to my attention again when a new player brought it up in chat.

I do think it's time to change the language to be consistent.

What do you think?

• Like 1

I agree the examine is confusing.

Some might say that making it the same as mosue over at 15 skill defeats the purpose of granting that at 15.

But then they still have to examine it vs just mousing over so it's still a bonus.

Plus examing a crop tells you how far along it is, then mousover does the same at a high enough skill.

I prefer the examine tbh, draw a mental perpendicular to the slope, if it points away from you, the slope is away, if it points towards you, the slope is towards. Easy

Whilst I agree that the text should be consistent, I found it helped to imagine a ball on the slope...if the slope is down, the ball rolls "away" from you, if the slope is up, it would roll "towards" you.

"If I drop a ball on this slope, which way will it roll?"

I still support the idea. 

Edit: damn you Ryshad for replying while I was typing my post!

Edited by Wraithglow