Sign in to follow this  
ArminDragonheart

Is Wurm Online Free?

Is Wurm free forever or is there just a free trial and at the end of it you're forced to buy premium?

If WUrm is free forever then what can a F2P player do in this game  that makes money sucesefully ?

+ How and when can i get a ship ?

You can get to 20skill as F2P. After that you have to pay to get higher skills (and also getting the major features of the game).

You can only use a rowboat as F2P.

Unlimited f2p trial with the ability to buy premium for ingame coin

Gotta pay to get the good stuff, however you can pay for prem time with ingame currency you earn from working for players. I for one have only ever paid for 10e of prem time, my very first time, and the subsequent years has all been paid for by that most benevolent of despots, the Free Market.

i've got unlimited bricks and mortar needed. could come work of premium for me. it's slave wages and labor but if you can handle it, you can handle anything wurm offers.

• Like 2

I'm very disappointed with this game. I have paid premium subscription for two months, build a house any everything,   and today after one month I cannot play anymore because someone has payed a deed near my house and fence and took from me  all what I have build. Right now, I'm so angry and sad in the same time. If I knew that this might happen, I would never start to play. I have lost everything I've done!  :( 

This concept of game is total disaster because they are not satisfied with money which we pay for monthly subscription,... no, they want more... you have to buy land and continue with paying extra money only to keep what you have built . 

I was so satisfied whit this game, and I was planing to play a log time because it was really fun, but right now, I'm totally angry and sad... no fun anymore.. no fun 

• Like 1

Well you learned a valuable lesson now. Deed it or lose it. 

But don't get disheartened. Take what you know elsewhere and start over, join an active village, establish you very own deeded town etc. It's all a learning experience and once you get over the shocks and setbacks It'll all fall into place. 

Or you can whine about it on the forums, get flamed and then quit. 

Bottom line, it's not the games fault it happened. It's yours for not adequately stopping another player from doing it by deeding your patch or securing it with gatehouses.

• Like 1

I'm very disappointed with this game. I have paid premium subscription for two months, build a house any everything,   and today after one month I cannot play anymore because someone has payed a deed near my house and fence and took from me  all what I have build. Right now, I'm so angry and sad in the same time. If I knew that this might happen, I would never start to play. I have lost everything I've done!   :(

This concept of game is total disaster because they are not satisfied with money which we pay for monthly subscription,... no, they want more... you have to buy land and continue with paying extra money only to keep what you have built . 

I was so satisfied whit this game, and I was planing to play a log time because it was really fun, but right now, I'm totally angry and sad... no fun anymore.. no fun 

Land is limited. That is the reason that you have to pay for land. Not because the devs are money hoarders, but because the players are landhoarders. (If they wanted more money you'd see more pay to win content in the shop)If there was no fee for owning land at all, every tile on every server would be owned by someone and there would simply be no room for anyone else anymore - the deed cost puts a limit on that. You can't really expect to - for free - own land, as much as you want, when land is a limited resource on the servers...

• Like 3

I think we need to make a special abbreviation for this answer, DIOLI.  Sorry to hear about your loss MadUser, but this happens a lot, and the answer to everyone is always the same.  Joining a village or buying a settlement form and starting a village of your own is really the only way to be safe.  And you did get a warning when you set up the house that it was not protected.

• Like 1

But ofcourse, if we talk about the price changes, and that certain people can't afford a deed, everyone goes like "Oh, you don't need a deed. You can play perfectly without it!". But as you can see playing without one ruins a lot. 

Edited by bluemoonn

Never had problems with that "deeding over your house" thing. In which server do you play ?

I thought you had to hold all of the writs before deeding over houses

I thought you had to hold all of the writs before deeding over houses

This is true, but you can put your perimeter over a building without the writ, making the building unrepairable to the owner, they have to let it rot away.

But don't get disheartened. Take what you know elsewhere and start over, join an active village, establish you very own deeded town etc. It's all a learning experience and once you get over the shocks and setbacks It'll all fall into place. 

Or you can whine about it on the forums, get flamed and then quit. 

Bottom line, it's not the games fault it happened. It's yours for not adequately stopping another player from doing it by deeding your patch or securing it with gatehouses.

Overall this is kind of a ######'ish response.  As a new player there is no way to know what you don't know, and your response is: "well you should've known."  I responded to this players issues in another post : http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/82915-frustrating/page-2  and I have updated the house planning guide in the wiki I wrote to address this also. 

Basically Wurm has taken the position that new players who haven't sat and read the wiki 100% should be fully punished to the maximum extent possible through extreme frustration amounting to hours of wasted time.  I like Wurm which is why I play it and pay to subscribe to it, but I am not blind to how unfriendly the game is to new players.  It is the main reason this game will never be that successful.  Given how many years it has been around I can only surmise either that 1) the devs are lazy regarding this, or 2) they have a made a conscious decision to not care and purposely make the frustration a "litmus test" for new players.  If the latter is the case then I would suggest they at least be honest with their position about this so new players like the one above don't spend real money on this game before they are ready. 

• Like 2

As a new player there is no way to know what you don't know, ..................................1) the devs are lazy regarding this, or 2) they have a made a conscious decision to not care

I would like to point out here that the game does tell you it is unsafe to build a house outside of a deed, and that the safest and most secure is on deed.

As to the devs being lazy or not caring, far from it. I have watched the game slowly grow over the last 6 yrs as fast as it's finances have allowed it to.

As already said, they simply can not allow players to hold land for free without any risk or cost because there would be zero space at all for anyone new wanting to settle after a couple of months.

With the current mechanic, it means that those who want ot hold land securely pay towards server upkeep.

You do NOT need to be premium to hold a deed , except for the initial placement ( or transferring it to another character ), so the 2 forms of payment are not mutual. Players can premium for a month, place a deed, then let premium lapse and remaining just paying the cheaper Deed cost.

I would hardly call that as the devs " not caring "

This is true, but you can put your perimeter over a building without the writ, making the building unrepairable to the owner, they have to let it rot away.

This is correct. This also lets the player have time to pack up and move on without losing ALL belongings, all they lose is the house and a bit of land and anything else they choose to leave behind.

Edited by Kediec
  • Like 1

Overall this is kind of a dick'ish response.  As a new player there is no way to know what you don't know, and your response is: "well you should've known."  I responded to this players issues in another post : http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/82915-frustrating/page-2  and I have updated the house planning guide in the wiki I wrote to address this also. 

Basically Wurm has taken the position that new players who haven't sat and read the wiki 100% should be fully punished to the maximum extent possible through extreme frustration amounting to hours of wasted time.  I like Wurm which is why I play it and pay to subscribe to it, but I am not blind to how unfriendly the game is to new players.  It is the main reason this game will never be that successful.  Given how many years it has been around I can only surmise either that 1) the devs are lazy regarding this, or 2) they have a made a conscious decision to not care and purposely make the frustration a "litmus test" for new players.  If the latter is the case then I would suggest they at least be honest with their position about this so new players like the one above don't spend real money on this game before they are ready.

If it is bad in your opinion, how do you think it should be fixed?

Right now players are allowed to 'buy' land, which has restrictions like not being allowed to deed over structures. This land will almost guarantee safety on Freedom.

Players can also choose to not 'buy' land and they are advised against this, as it can be dangerous.

Both of these concepts are very straight forward and there is hardly an excuse to not know this if you have played wurm longer than a couple of days.

Now how could the game possibly protect a player, who has not deeded anything, from another player who wishes to deed over his (undeeded) area?

As you can see, the solution is not so simple. It hasn't go to do with developers thinking 'oh well, we don't really care'. The most logical solution is to give players who pay for their land a 'precedence' over players who do not pay for their lands. In some cases, this can hurt (new) players, but it usually works out well.

This goes for many other 'bad' things in Wurm. There is just no good solution. We just go with the best solution we can think of, which may have some disadvantages.

Overall this is kind of a ######'ish response.  As a new player there is no way to know what you don't know, and your response is: "well you should've known."  I responded to this players issues in another post : http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/82915-frustrating/page-2  and I have updated the house planning guide in the wiki I wrote to address this also. 

It's a perfectly valid response. If you're refering to the "cry on the forums and quit" part, take a look at his followup posts in other threads. That's exactly what he did, so no sympathy here. If you're not, well, feel free to hover around the spawn points offering your advice on how to best to secure a location to players incapable of working it out for themselves. Let's see how long you keep that up.

Seems to me it's up to a player to make sure they know the rules before they play a game.  The wiki has always been there, with plenty of info before you start.  I spent a week reading the wiki before I started my first char, but I guess reading the directions is too much for some.

If it is bad in your opinion, how do you think it should be fixed?

Right now players are allowed to 'buy' land, which has restrictions like not being allowed to deed over structures. This land will almost guarantee safety on Freedom.

Players can also choose to not 'buy' land and they are advised against this, as it can be dangerous.

Both of these concepts are very straight forward and there is hardly an excuse to not know this if you have played wurm longer than a couple of days.

Now how could the game possibly protect a player, who has not deeded anything, from another player who wishes to deed over his (undeeded) area?

As you can see, the solution is not so simple. It hasn't go to do with developers thinking 'oh well, we don't really care'. The most logical solution is to give players who pay for their land a 'precedence' over players who do not pay for their lands. In some cases, this can hurt (new) players, but it usually works out well.

This goes for many other 'bad' things in Wurm. There is just no good solution. We just go with the best solution we can think of, which may have some disadvantages.

The solution is indeed simple and you are conflating things. The solution is to be up-front and honest.  This requires no major coding changes, no fundamental redesign of how land deeding works, and a trivial amount of work.  The original poster complaining about this, while whiny I admit, had a point.  He was not complaining the land deeding process should be changed (read his post), he was upset that he wasn't aware that this could even happen in the first place.   Here is the current text you get placing a house outside a deed:

"You are planning a structure outside any known village. This is very risky, and the structure may very well be pillaged and looted by other players."

Ok... Well first off this text makes you think that if you are not on a pvp server, then you don't really have any looting or pillaging to worry about.  Also I am curious how many new players actually understand this above text to mean, "oh and by the way you can also have your house griefed by players who utilize an odd inconsistency in the deeding process that prevents them from deeding their perimeter over you to begin with, which makes sense, but then allows them to do so a short while later after placing their deed, thus allowing them to basically evict you from your house with no warning due to drastically increased decay."    Do you all think this concept is made clear by the current text which is displayed when you place a house outside a deed?

If the devs need help writing this one-sentence concept into some tighter language they should feel free to PM and I would gladly help.  

And to the other posters, and the one I'm replaying to, saying its his responsibility to read stuff and that any player who has played for more than a couple days should know this.  Where was he suppose to read or learn this from?? Please show me a reasonably accessible link anywhere on the wiki (not some sub paragraphed buried in another topic) which spells out very clear for new players this simple concept that your un-deeded house can basically be griefed and taken away from you without warning.  You will not find it except on the house planning guide which I wrote and just updated yesterday to include this concept. 

Having played many indie games they seem to have a unique community.  OIder players who have been loyal subscribers and who feel that any attempt to make the new player experience more intuitive or user friendly somehow invalidates the pain they went through learning the game.  So while making the new player experience better may hurt the feelings of the older players, it is better for the overall game.   Yet it seems too often devs in this situation cave.  I recently played a fun little indie game called Star Sonata 2.  I loved it but it got the point where the devs have basically given up trying to attract new players.  And most changes are now aimed at trying to desperately cling to the few paying older subscribers they still have.  My incentive in all this is to make Wurm a better game and get it a larger player base without totally screwing up the balance of existing players.  Better up-front information achieves this with wonderful results and does not take away anything from existing players.  Yet  it still baffles me the people that aggressively resist this type of improvement. 

Having played many indie games they seem to have a unique community.  OIder players who have been loyal subscribers and who feel that any attempt to make the new player experience more intuitive or user friendly somehow invalidates the pain they went through learning the game.  So while making the new player experience better may hurt the feelings of the older players, it is better for the overall game.   Yet it seems too often devs in this situation cave.  I recently played a fun little indie game called Star Sonata 2.  I loved it but it got the point where the devs have basically given up trying to attract new players.  And most changes are now aimed at trying to desperately cling to the few paying older subscribers they still have.  My incentive in all this is to make Wurm a better game and get it a larger player base without totally screwing up the balance of existing players.  Better up-front information achieves this with wonderful results and does not take away anything from existing players.  Yet  it still baffles me the people that aggressively resist this type of improvement. 

Besides the fact it quite clearly tells you that it isn't safe to build outside of a deed ( doesn't matter how it is phrased , that is what it says ), you may be surprised that it is the older players here who quite often give suggestions on how to improve the tutorial and other aspects of the game with points that are needed for new players to understand.

They don't resist changes to make the new players better able to get a grasp on the game. Far from it in fact, i see plenty of older players doing the opposite, some even set up a form of " Academy" to help new players learn the game.

The majority are under no illusion that wurm has a steep learning curve and a very low new player retention, and this is something that not only the devs, but also the players try to help correct with suggestions and ingame help.

The decay on houses that get " deeded over " is NOT that fast unless the house owner hasn't logged in for 30 days. So i would hardly call it "allowing them to evict you with no notice".

Even a low ql house would give the owner plenty of time to move their belongings.

What the players do object to is " hand holding" because this is not that type of game. It is hard for new players ( even more so with the animal cap increase) but it is also a damn sight easier than it was say 6 years ago, but that doesn't mean that new players shouldn't do some research before playing.

Note :-  I am not saying it is fine as it is or perfect etc in any way. There are still improvements that can be made to the new player experience to help retain more players. How-ever i am pointing out that i think yuur view that " players and devs are wanting to stick to how it is and damn the new players " is wrong

Edited by Kediec

Best game ever. Most free game Ive ever played. Players are allowed to sell the items in game for real money. Its allowed.

Lotts of players get the best stuff in the game and get money back on PayPal. They dont pay.

Its like everything in LIFE.

Work hard and you get reward.

Its a game so expect challanges. Be ready for loss and reward.

That is what makes it a game. If you want something simple then play Farcebook.

I feel bad for thoes of you who lost work or items or coins.

I play with un understanding that at some point I will lose everything.

Everytime I log on and see my house is good then I am happy.

Everytime I see a player and he does not run up and kill me and take my things I count myself lucky.

Is it free. Yes its free.

Can you pay? Yes you can pay.

Does paying get you more? No.

You cannot buy skills.

You can earn the premium in the game.

So you can play the same without money as you can with it.

Money is fun to play with in life and in the game but does not make you a good player or person.

If I was asked. I would say. Yes its free for as long as you want it to be free and you are treated the same in the game.

Edited by Gramuly
  • Like 1

The solution is indeed simple and you are conflating things. The solution is to be up-front and honest.  This requires no major coding changes, no fundamental redesign of how land deeding works, and a trivial amount of work.  The original poster complaining about this, while whiny I admit, had a point.  He was not complaining the land deeding process should be changed (read his post), he was upset that he wasn't aware that this could even happen in the first place.   Here is the current text you get placing a house outside a deed:

"You are planning a structure outside any known village. This is very risky, and the structure may very well be pillaged and looted by other players."

Ok... Well first off this text makes you think that if you are not on a pvp server, then you don't really have any looting or pillaging to worry about.  Also I am curious how many new players actually understand this above text to mean, "oh and by the way you can also have your house griefed by players who utilize an odd inconsistency in the deeding process that prevents them from deeding their perimeter over you to begin with, which makes sense, but then allows them to do so a short while later after placing their deed, thus allowing them to basically evict you from your house with no warning due to drastically increased decay."    Do you all think this concept is made clear by the current text which is displayed when you place a house outside a deed?

If the devs need help writing this one-sentence concept into some tighter language they should feel free to PM and I would gladly help.

You just said it yourself, the game even warns you that your house outside a deed is not safe. The thing it does not mention is how exactly it is unsafe, but there is no room in the event tab to explain the whole concept of an unsafe house.

If you are new to this game, very soon you will find out the concept of the deed, and why someone would ever deed. One of the main benefits that you will learn is that it keeps everything safe. If a benefit of a deed is safety, that clearly means that safety is something you do not have off deed. Again, this is not some advanced idea that you learn once you've been playing for months. This is something almost every new person will learn very soon.

One last thing is the game rules. If you read the rules, you will understand what an 'enclosure' is. You will learn that this is a more safe way of living off deed, but it specifically mentions that a deed overrides the enclosure rule. That clearly means that deeds have a precedence over many non-deeded things.

My point is that ignorance isn't a good excuse. You are told ingame that a house off deed is unsafe, the rules tell you that deeds override enclosures and we assume you have some extremely basic game knowledge and some common sense that tells you that bad things can happen off deed. The only thing that the game doesn't tell you is how exactly another player could take your undeeded land, but that is not very important. We just have to know that the risk is there.

The only thing that I find arguable is the deeding system itself and the rules, but as long as we can not come up with any better idea, they should stay.

Why is this thread still alive?

He asked a simple question "is wurmonline free", and the answer is yes. So lock the thread please.