Sign in to follow this  
Empress

Language.

Has wurm ever considered to implementing a  translation like Make it go through something like Google Translate

More languages would really help Wurm to grow, yeah. Atleast some big European ones like German, French and Spanish. 1+

Google translations are really poor, and could create confusion. Translating strings by volunteers would be IMHO better, but then again - this would be a mess to maintain and review frequently; also some moderation would be required to make sure that there are no profanities etc. being introduced by saboteur volunteers.

I think there should be more languages support - this will make Wurm accessible by more players. I personally would like to translate the game into Polish. ;)

Like FFXI had, drop-downs with common game phrases that would show up as whatever launguage the recieving client was set to.

I put > "Get off my perimeter."

You see > "~~whatever that is in your language~~"

I think there should be more languages support - this will make Wurm accessible by more players. I personally would like to translate the game into Polish. ;)

I will have to disagree.

If we translate the game into different languages, that means we get lots of players with 0 (ZERO) knowledge of english. Chat channels will be impossible to moderate and flooded with foreign languages. You could then say that different translated versions of the game should have their own kingdom chats in their own language, but then the whole community gets divided up even more. So a huge -1, it won't work in Wurm.

• Like 3

+1 for Wulfgar, that could work well only in singleplayer games.

We can just introduce multilingual, predefined moderation messages - everyone will see them in their own language. Wurm community is already very divined, but this is hard to see because national communities are playing in organized groups, usually focused around fansite (not Wurm official forum) and only few of them are writing anything on official forums or write in global chat.

Many MMO games have multiple languages support, even on a single server.

Edited by Warlander

It's not that hard to understand the meaning of words from a language much as it would be to form sentences with it. At least kids are pretty fast to recognize words and their context, simply because they don't bother to translate them. I don't know how many there are, but I'm certain we got players who has never formed a sentence in English but are quite comfortable with playing Wurm, despite being in a language which they don't understand

I ment it translate it to your language and wwhat you say is translated to there language

Heh, I find it funny, I remember having this argument with someone once, I was spouting Wulfgar's standpoint and got accused of racism for not wanting segregation based on race/language.

• Like 1