Sign in to follow this  
Sarandosil

Frustrating

Got the game yesterday to try it out andI can't find an empty spot to save my life.

This seems to be a universal problem of all building games. I get that the coasts would be crowded, but given all the mobs around it's tricky wandering too far inland. Even then I haven't had too much trouble dodging mobs, but empty space just seems elusive.

Pretty frustrated atm. This seems like a promising game, but impossible to even get started. After several hours of wandering yesterday and today I'm pretty much out of patience, especially since it seems like when I do find a spot I'd invariably get mauled by something and then have to trek the hour or more back to my spot.

look at it in a survival kind of way. start very small, one or 2 tools and explore and learn the game.

building a place the first day or 2 is overrated imo. take a few days to run around naked and free with your sword in the air. pun intended.

you loose next to nothing at low levels. run north, when you die and respawn run south, then east, then west.  you are free now my friend.

when you get a place you will be enslaved to taking care of it and filling it with everything you can craft and or find and or buy.

Edited by Griffith
  • Like 3

join a village while you learn the game, afterward venture for your own deed :) .

• Like 1

View hidden Post
Posted · Hidden by KaiH, June 23, 2013 - inappropriate and reply
Hidden by KaiH, June 23, 2013 - inappropriate and reply

i will not even comment that noob post

View hidden Post
Posted · Hidden by KaiH, June 23, 2013 - inappropriate and reply
Hidden by KaiH, June 23, 2013 - inappropriate and reply

you just did

• Like 2

Expect death My first week and a half in wurm all I did was create a mine near water.. keep going until I found iron.. put a door on the mine and it was my home where I created all my things to move out later and find a deed location

You need to leave the starting area, and head either way for about 5-10 minutes and you will start to see open areas to build in. Walking in circles around the starting town wont find you anything. Go in a "straight" path.

finding a nice place for a newbie is definitely one of the hardest challenges. Best thing for you to do is join a village and use it as a secure base of operations for finding a nice place. 

• Like 1

I find that most people have this problem specifically because of our natural tendency to follow roads. Some people joining the game don't realise that all the roads were created by players, and therefore designed to lead to an occupied location. You need to head into the untamed forests ;)

• Like 2

It took me at least a week to get settled into this game which I love. To begin with, I would agree with other contributors and suggest that you head off in one direction. Have a look in local over a while, get to know local players and begin to communicate with them. You will find that nearly all will be helpful and you may get the opportunity to join a village.

I would suggest that you do this and learn the game from a place of safety. At the same time, I would suggest using your 'starter' village as an advanced base camp and head off into the wilderness. You can return to your village and then repeat the process as many times as you need. You can also build up your skills and knowledge in the safety of your village- you may even decide to stay. There should be no pressure on finding a spot as if you rush you will simply find a better place soon after you deed and that can be exasperating!

I would suggest that by doing this, you should easily find the place of your dreams- good luck

This happens to everyone. Your newbie time is an annoying but unavoidable time. You could either just find a little spot in the forest near the starter place to build a little house, and some fences to keep mobs out, or try to join a village ASAP.

Edited by bluemoonn

Don't give up! We wandered for 2 rl weeks on multiple servers and finally found a place. We weren't clever enough to do this, but I suggest when you see new names in local chat in areas you find acceptable, you ask them. Most locals know abandoned deeds and empty places in their area. You might have to give up the coast though- its extremely popular. 

Make sure you examine the ground for deed and perimeter tiles. And to be polite ask people nearby if they care whether you settle- especially if you don't plan to buy a deed or they could expand right into your area.

Once you settle- the first weeks are tough, but it gets better fast once you build a starter house and small enclosure.

One of the first things you'll want to do is cut down a tree with your bare hands, then use the wood to break off chunks of stone to fashion better tools with, then kill some sheep... no, that's Minecraft.

Exploring without worry about dying is a lot of fun, getting into a village and learning the game and getting advice and assistance from others is easy and safe, building your own house using instructions from the wiki is challenging. It's really your choice on how to go about it, but most would probably recommend getting into a village at the beginning. Wurm is a survival game first and a life simulation second. It's not easy to get started in it, but the rewards for hard work make you appreciate it more than almost any other game out there.

Choose what kind of game you want to play, then play it.

Sounds simple, eh?

I find that most people have this problem specifically because of our natural tendency to follow roads. Some people joining the game don't realise that all the roads were created by players, and therefore designed to lead to an occupied location. You need to head into the untamed forests ;)

He is a newbie - if he leaves the road he will be killed, usually within minutes if not sooner.

empty space just seems elusive

You're wrong! The maps are quite big, and there's plenty of empty space. Join a village or build 1x1 shack and go exploring. Good luck!  :)

best advice I can give as a noob myself is to talk to people in local. It's always good to know your neighbours, they can help you out big time. and they know of the free spots around (and if they're nice they'll tell you where) :)

Sarandosil - I just got the game last night, so I'm just starting to learn. However, I did want to check that you aren't looking for a deed marker to claim? I mean to ask, do you know the steps and what to look for to stake your claim? I just did some research on the steps. If I hadn't, I wouldn't have known, or I would have been looking for an unclaimed deed marker to click to buy it. Which is not how it works. Which is great by the way! Sandbox fun!  :wub:

• Like 1

I'm very disappointed with this game. I have paid premium subscription for two months, build a house any everything,  and today after one month I cannot play anymore because someone has payed a deed near my house and fence and took from me  all what I have build. Right now, I'm so angry and sad in the same time. If I knew that this might happen, I would never start to play. I have lost everything I've done!   :(

This concept of game is total disaster because they are not satisfied with money which we pay for monthly subscription,... no, they want more... you have to buy land and continue with paying extra money only to keep what you have built . 

I was so satisfied whit this game, and I was planing to play it a log time because it was really fun, but right now, I'm totally angry and sad... no fun anymore.. no fun at all 

This is the end of Wurmonline for me

I'm very disappointed with this game. I have paid premium subscription for two months, build a house any everything, and today after one month I cannot play anymore because someone has payed a deed near my house and fence and took from me all what I have build. Right now, I'm so angry and sad in the same time. If I knew that this might happen, I would never start to play. I have lost everything I've done! :(

This concept of game is total disaster because they are not satisfied with money which we pay for monthly subscription,... no, they want more... you have to buy land and continue with paying extra money only to keep what you have built .

I was so satisfied whit this game, and I was planing to play it a log time because it was really fun, but right now, I'm totally angry and sad... no fun anymore.. no fun at all

Get mad but don't quit playing. Play on a server you can do something about that kind of game play. Play on a server which allows you to just bash what someone puts in your way (if you were their first) down. That's what I never liked about pve though is the fact you cannot build anything if you are not going to deed it because someone can easily just place a deed near you.

The only thing that gets me is u said you were building things ... if you had built a house no one would have been able to deed without having the writ to your house.

I'm very disappointed with this game. I have paid premium subscription for two months, build a house any everything,  and today after one month I cannot play anymore because someone has payed a deed near my house and fence and took from me  all what I have build. Right now, I'm so angry and sad in the same time. If I knew that this might happen, I would never start to play. I have lost everything I've done!   :(

You should contact a GM about that because im fairly certain that is against the rules to deed over an active players legal enclosure.

A newbie on a pvp server will not be able to protect his own undeeded land.  Actually it would be worse since his doors would get picked and all items in his house would get stolen or destroyed.

A newbie on a pvp server will not be able to protect his own undeeded land.  Actually it would be worse since his doors would get picked and all items in his house would get stolen or destroyed.

This isnt really true if you settle on Desertion or Serenity since most people there from your own kingdom.  And if you decide to go to Chaos or Elevation then just join an existing place until you get your skills up.

As for the post about the player who lost his house when someone deed over it, this is actually one of the bigger problems with Wurm but on a higher level with many aspects of the game, not just house building: it creates intense frustration among new players, amounting to hours of wasted time, for the simplest of mistakes.  From permanently losing your starting compass to not being clear what the risks are of building on an un-deeded place, there is really no need for any of this.    Wurm is a fun game and a great concept, but I think how punishing this game is on newer players is really hurting it, and is kind of reflective of laziness on part of the devs.    

I actually wrote the House Planning Guide (http://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/House_Planning_Guide) out of experiencing a lot of frustration myself with some newbie mistakes I feel were made out of simply not understanding some game mechanics which are never explained to new players in the first place.  I am going to update it to account for the situation the author of this thread experienced.

Edited by dreadlordnaf
  • Like 1

As an additional option, have you just tried asking the player if you can join his deed? Just explain your situation. I know if I had been scouting an area for a long time, liked it, thought the houses around it were abandoned, but only found out afterward they weren't, I would be more than happy to let others join.  Especially since they are only using tiles on the perimeter area anyway.