Sign in to follow this  
Etherdrifter

Canal Construction

Currently the starting area is fairly isolated, relying on perelous overland routes for trade and nublet distribution.

I'm proposing a large canal from near poolsclosed through the desert and to the outlet near salem.  I've never done any megabuilds before, however I suspect this one is both ambitious and possibly insane.

I was wondering if anyone would be willing to help out (I am thinking we do it underground since overground would be overkill, reinforcing the walls as we go along to reduce future maintenence).

What do you get out of it?  Name on a plaque outside, any minerals/gems you find, the silent thanks of every merchant/nublet/wanderer who uses it thereafter and chance ot make lots of friends ;)

Just move to an area with better water access just because an area is the spawn point does not make it a good market spot. Most players that have coins don't stay around there anyway only newer players that are most likely f2p with no money to spend anyway. 

The area you're talking about is huge and would take seasoned players a long time to do but if you are set on trying it the first thing you need to do is scout out an entrance and exit area. 

Yes scouting, you could use the highway that's already there..

Seriously tho, that's an insane undertaking with way too many obstacles including deeds. Not only that but what you would create would be a huge trench right through the continent that would block more traffic than it provides. Until we get bridges I think this would be a bad idea.

Not to mention you never asked the deed owner at Salem lol

Improving traffic on that route is just a matter of building a guard tower or two and someone already made one. :)

Just move to an area with better water access just because an area is the spawn point does not make it a good market spot. Most players that have coins don't stay around there anyway only newer players that are most likely f2p with no money to spend anyway. 

The area you're talking about is huge and would take seasoned players a long time to do but if you are set on trying it the first thing you need to do is scout out an entrance and exit area. 

You sir, are verry motivated by money. It seems thats all you think about. Dont forget this is a video game.

Not to mention you never asked the deed owner at Salem lol

Hasn't asked anyone at poolsclosed either.

My current idea, if I ever get the time to start it, is to cut through the mountain southwest of spawn lake then help with another canal from the large lake to the south. This should block a bare minimum of traffic and actual dig/mine time would be similar.

That sounds like a lot of work especially when there's already a nearly finished road going around the mountain to the lake to the south

Has nothing to do with cart travel or general access. Has to to with Knarr access.

not sure how you'd get a canal going that way without destroying the existing road along the SW of Spawn lake

I think what is meant is a "mine tunnel" canal (good luck surface mining). You can see an example with the canal for the NE lake (its on the north side).

In the desert SE of spawn lake the deed in the middle, which is now disbanded, had a mine so the sand doesn't go to water level. You just need to make a open air canal until you hit rock.

The deed Salem doesn't extend to the cliff at the edge of the desert on the east side so it won't interfere with them. A nice rock face at the water for a nice exit too. The desert itself is mostly deserted with only a very messy tiny deed with a hole dug and dirt put down then left for weeks so far. The main problem is the solid line of deeds around the SE end of spawn lake. One of them will have to be willing to have and maintain the entrance to the canal.

Going through the mountain avoids a lot of the deeds but doubles the work. Going SE btween the two mountains you run into a ton of deeds. Going south, south west and west are viable but need scouting and even then deeds can spring up.

Not a bad idea if the canal does not trespass player deeds (if so permission must be asked and granted) or block an already established path of travel. It will take months and several dedicated players to get this done but it's not impossible. However it does come down to COST of this project.

People involved in this projects will most likely want some sort of compensation for all the work, raising a single skill may not be acceptable when they can do it far safer and closer to their home base.The old "yeah I did that" is usually done by those who come up with ideas rather than the peoples that did most of the work.

Not a bad idea if the canal does not trespass player deeds (if so permission must be asked and granted) or block an already established path of travel. It will take months and several dedicated players to get this done but it's not impossible. However it does come down to COST of this project.

People involved in this projects will most likely want some sort of compensation for all the work, raising a single skill may not be acceptable when they can do it far safer and closer to their home base.The old "yeah I did that" is usually done by those who come up with ideas rather than the peoples that did most of the work.

Never was a COST outside of sculpting wand charges on any of the Indi projects over the years. People did it because they wanted to.

Aye, I was thinking an underground canal, it would be a large undertaking but it would link the spawn lake of release with the rest of the outside world.

The desert road overland is frankly dangerous, there is only one claim midway, no towers or security.

The benefit is the increase in trade and traffic for the people living around the lake, for those living outside the lake it makes bringing in new members a lot easier.

The benefits outweigh the cost, I think I'll lay down some groundwork when I get back from canada (3 weeks) and maybe make a map of the intended tunnel route.  If we can round up about 10 people it won't take more than a few days to get the inital tunnel through and another couple to get the fortification on the walls done.