Sign in to follow this  
Eyesgood

What's Wrong With The 1.1 Update

Wurm team, thank you for 1.1.  I appreciate all the hard work.  Now please take this as constructive criticism from a long-time playing and paying customer.

Here's what is wrong with the update (and with development priorities in general) from a player perspective:

- The lack of information we get when new features are added which often fuels waves of misinformation and uninformed bickering in the forums.

- The seemingly random targeting and nerfing of entire sub-systems of crafting (this time - farming) that have neither been suggested by the players nor indicated as being insufficient or needing to be re-worked.

- The introduction of new game features costing hundreds of development hours that have no apparent purpose (i.e. Personal Goals) beyond adding more useless stats into the game processing threads.

- The ignoring of annoying bugs that have persisted for years (i.e. login lamp-snuffing and decay bugs) with absolutely little to no attention from the developers.

- The lack of consideration of fantastic suggestions being made by players for adding legitimate new systems and improving existing systems that would increase the enjoyment of the game.  (i.e., I would have much rather had a complete revamp of the woefully-lacking cooking system with new meaningful food recipes and creative food buffs to certain stats rather than a mission-driven, spell-casting, thing-a-ma-jig).

Stop wasting development time on nerfs and useless sub-systems and consider adding the things that your player-base really wants to see.  There are hundreds of terrific ideas you guys could have burned 1.1 development hours on rather than some of the items that made it into this release.

If you want to justify a 60% premium increase, this is NOT the way to do it.

Regards,

Eyesgood

Edited by Eyesgood
  • Like 23

Your explanation of 'whats wrong' is kind of weak, I think there is nothing wrong and they do take our suggestions in consideration.

Many features that have been added have been suggested by us :)

They do try to fix every possible bug, but sometimes it's not possible in 1 day.

Things could be a lot worse

I respect the effort they put in to little things ^^

• Like 1

They do try to fix every possible bug, but sometimes it's not possible in 1 day.

some bug are many monthS old

Your explanation of 'whats wrong' is kind of weak, I think there is nothing wrong and they do take our suggestions in consideration.

Many features that have been added have been suggested by us :)

Things could be a lot worse

I respect the effort they put in to little things ^^

My list is my list - understandably.  However, I am also a software developer by trade.  Some of my comments come from my experience in designing software (not games but real-world applications) and I know what it is to ignore bugs over introducing features into a release.  I know every career developer is guilty of not always prioritizing correctly and I am only mentioning these things because it lends a little peer-review, for whatever that's worth.

• Like 1

Change is tough even though at times it works out in the end a lot of us do come out of the box screaming the sky is falling before we even understand the changes.

Btw they have added more suggestions from players than at any time I have seen before just recently.

I think the farming change is better than most of the up roar.

I did not want to see a change to farming, but if the new system uses skill and qlty more like the other resource skills I think its worth a shot.

Edited by Protunia
  • Like 2

Performance worse, memory leaking faster than before. I guess I'm doomed, unless I fork out the cash to buy a 64bit OS to fully play wurm?

• Like 1

I can agree that it's not fun when they try to fix something that already works, cant always get everything right.

But I agree 1000% with Eyes.  I have been saying for a long time in the forums that devs need to focus on features that are needed and requested in the game.  Since 1.0 they have added nice things like new models for mobs and other neat stuff.  But hey have not fixed many bugs that haunt us or added features that are really needed.  Instead they added in this update a Nerf that we all hate and other useless stuff.  One personal note, diagonal roads are a half-a$$ job done.  It looks very crappy and looks like there was not a lot of thought put into it.  There was too much hype and a weak delivery for this update.

will not even comment.... i realy feel bad in first line for art team.... is long time ago since we get MS houses and we have still all images as before...lamps, fsbs, inner walls and many other items still shows  thru floors... realy ugly .... all what is need to be done is cut images for items ...  is realy hard?  no is not...

The farming system was not directly nerfed (or buffed). The whole idea behind the change is that there should be more meaningful factors that should decide your harvest. If you are someone who never farms his fields, you will definitely notice a lower harvest, but if you always harvest your fields, you might notice a little extra, especially if you use a rare (or better) rake.

It could be that you believe this change was not needed, but others may also find that the cooking system for example is perfectly fine and should not be changed either. My point is that it's just your opinion about what is important and what isn't and obviously not everyone shares that same opinion. The reason why this is important is because you presented your list like something almost everyone agrees with (by saying the list comes from a player perspective), which is far from true.

Another thing (keep in mind this is just something I noticed, and it could be it's not 100% accurate) is that not every dev can do everything. For example, we know Rolf worked on the sorcery abilities, which is a completely new system that required a lot of work. Other changes like the farming change, aren't massive changes (code-wise) I believe, so another dev took care of that.

This would mean that there wasn't much time "wasted" on small things, because every dev did what they were good at.

• Like 4

next major patch should focus directly on performance and not on adding new stuff, 1.1 was said to be a performance patch but I had to turn off glsl shader vbo and fbo support to regain those 10-15 fps I lost when it came out, crashes are also alot more frequent now then before

• Like 2

The farming system was not directly nerfed (or buffed). The whole idea behind the change is that there should be more meaningful factors that should decide your harvest. If you are someone who never farms his fields, you will definitely notice a lower harvest, but if you always harvest your fields, you might notice a little extra, especially if you use a rare (or better) rake.

It could be that you believe this change was not needed, but others may also find that the cooking system for example is perfectly fine and should not be changed either. My point is that it's just your opinion about what is important and what isn't and obviously not everyone shares that same opinion. The reason why this is important is because you presented your list like something almost everyone agrees with (by saying the list comes from a player perspective), which is far from true.

Another thing (keep in mind this is just something I noticed, and it could be it's not 100% accurate) is that not every dev can do everything. For example, we know Rolf worked on the sorcery abilities, which is a completely new system that required a lot of work. Other changes like the farming change, aren't massive changes (code-wise) I believe, so another dev took care of that.

This would mean that there wasn't much time "wasted" on small things, because every dev did what they were good at.

I never once presented my comments as representative of anyone's opinion but my own.  I said "A PLAYER" not "THE PLAYERS".  - just want to clarify that.

But I am glad you posted because your comments substantiate something I was thinking...  I just knew this whole new sorcery system was conjured up by Rolf.   

I commend the entire development team for their contributions.  The graphics team is second to none.  The volunteer client developers have come up with some amazing additions.

I thank Rolf for opening up the code so that we can all benefit from the many talents of the entire development team.

However, I just think sometimes Rolf runs off in his own direction and injects some strange and confusing elements to the game.

But I do concede that this is his game and he can do what he wants any way he wants.  I am just trying to lend some constructive criticism for the good of the game.

That's the problem right there.  I tend my crops everyday and have 39 farming.  This is a skill level based game not a QL of tool game.  I use a low QL rake to skill up, because of this nerf ,now my skill level is worthless.  There is really no point now on skilling farming because if I don't have the ability or the funds to get a batter QL rake im screwed.

That's the problem right there.  I tend my crops everyday and have 39 farming.  This is a skill level based game not a QL of tool game.  I use a low QL rake to skill up, because of this nerf ,now my skill level is worthless.  There is really no point now on skilling farming because if I don't have the ability or the funds to get a batter QL rake im screwed.

that's where you are wrong  this is a tool qlty game for many many things you do in wurm.

other resource gathering skills are no different you use better tools to get better qlty or lower tools to skill.

Edited by Protunia

This is a skill level based game not a QL of tool game.

Uhh very few things don't depend on tool quality and if they didn't it'd render most skills pointless beyond enough skill to get reasonable success to create. This just brings farming in line with just about everything else.

If you look into suggestion & ideas, there is a long thread about reworking Alchemy, the thread was very popular, and have the participation of several player aporting new ideas or simply supporting the rework.

Yet the one in charge to implement new things choose to utterly ignore the section and rework farming.

Always listen to your player base, except when they are wrong ;-)

A bit of transparency into WHY you do what you do would be my only request. Why did we change the farming system? Why were these things specifically added? Are these frequently and long standing player requests being considered or are they conflicted with your long view of the game?

These are questions that customers in this day and age are used to having answered especially in MMO gaming and especially in small studios and indie developers. Wurm, no matter who is running and it why really should provide this information if they wish to retain a PAYING player base.

Would you continue to goto a store or a service, that kept changing things you like and ignore your request for them to clean their bathroom and fix their squeaky doors without even discussing your concerns? Where I live if you have a complaint, even an unreasonable one, a manager will come out and do their best to make you happy because they WANT your money.

EARN our money please, through earning our respect. You already have our hearts and admiration ;-)

• Like 1

Btw can i apoint that after the extensive patch testing building a high iron fence using stone bricks and iron fence bars give carpentry skill?

This is actually a game based on skill level AND the ql of your tool. This goes for almost everything.

Anyway.... if people finally decide to try out the mechanic before saying that it's bad, they would notice that the difference in harvest between using a low ql and high ql rake is actually not huge. You can still grind farming in peace, you won't get a terrible harvest by using a 1ql rake.

• Like 1

i tried it. its bad. at zero tending i get less. at one tending i get one less. at 2 tending i get same as before. and stopped right there,

im not going to spend 3 times the amount of time to get the same as before. i guess its a good change for the dedicated farmers that dont

do anything else, but really wont be getting more. the rest of us are screwed.

basically its more work. the bonus is no bonus if you have to work more. if you have to tend 4 or 5 times to get 1 or 2 more per tiles. where is the bonus?

you are just working more. no matter how pretty you present it.

and lastly, no it doesnt matter if i sow new crops and wait a week for new cycle. its irrevelant. youll see in a week.

edit. i was already spending about 2 hours a day just farming and no tending. do you really expect me to add 1 or 2 more hours for the same amount, or one miserable single yield more?     It is a nerf plain and simple

Edited by Griffith
  • Like 2

Wurm team, thank you for 1.1.  I appreciate all the hard work.  Now please take this as constructive criticism from a long-time playing and paying customer.

Here's what is wrong with the update (and with development priorities in general) from a player perspective:

- The lack of information we get when new features are added which often fuels waves of misinformation and uninformed bickering in the forums.

- The seemingly random targeting and nerfing of entire sub-systems of crafting (this time - farming) that have neither been suggested by the players nor indicated as being insufficient or needing to be re-worked.

- The introduction of new game features costing hundreds of development hours that have no apparent purpose (i.e. Personal Goals) beyond adding more useless stats into the game processing threads.

- The ignoring of annoying bugs that have persisted for years (i.e. login lamp-snuffing and decay bugs) with absolutely little to no attention from the developers.

- The lack of consideration of fantastic suggestions being made by players for adding legitimate new systems and improving existing systems that would increase the enjoyment of the game.  (i.e., I would have much rather had a complete revamp of the woefully-lacking cooking system with new meaningful food recipes and creative food buffs to certain stats rather than a mission-driven, spell-casting, thing-a-ma-jig).

Stop wasting development time on nerfs and useless sub-systems and consider adding the things that your player-base really wants to see.  There are hundreds of terrific ideas you guys could have burned 1.1 development hours on rather than some of the items that made it into this release.

If you want to justify a 60% premium increase, this is NOT the way to do it.

Regards,

Eyesgood

This.

Some of us are more than upset. Some of us made decisions. Too many Negatives for me now, the Scales have tipped too far.

Bison set free, Gates and Building Doors unlocked, Deed Disbanded, Game uninstalled, Java Uninstalled.

Goodby Everyone. Good Luck.

Edited by Kyrmius

My list is my list - understandably.  However, I am also a software developer by trade.  Some of my comments come from my experience in designing software (not games but real-world applications) and I know what it is to ignore bugs over introducing features into a release.  I know every career developer is guilty of not always prioritizing correctly and I am only mentioning these things because it lends a little peer-review, for whatever that's worth.

If your a software developer by trade then I'd guess you release as much buggy crap that isn't exactly what your customer want with bugs that have existed for years.

Or your another Monday morning quarterback to involved with the game to vote with your feet like most who disagree how a games direction is going, for your initial post you'd be better to replace "player-base" with I.

This.

Some of us are more than upset. Some of us made decisions. Too many Negatives for me now, the Scales have tipped too far.

Bison set free, Gates and Building Doors unlocked, Deed Disbanded, Game uninstalled, Java Uninstalled.

Goodby Everyone. Good Luck.

sad to see anyone leave , we are getting smaller and smaller everyday now =/ ...........p.s... respawn dragons, they killed them all on my server..

Update 1.2 should nerf firemaking skill ... i never fail lightning a forge at only low skill hehehe

mhh... i better should run :P

• Like 3