Sign in to follow this  
DKSprocket

Rock Shard Analyzing In Wurm 1.1 - Knowledge And Speculation

ok so not sure if it is a bug but at 36 prospecting i cant analyse on zinc ore

ok so not sure if it is a bug but at 36 prospecting i cant analyse on zinc ore

that is a bug, and the fix is waiting for the next patch.

Finally a feature that actually helps people. How long before it is nerfed/killed/bugged and no good? I hope Rolf mostly leave this new feature alone. It is the most useful thing I've seen in a long while.

You do not need a pickaxe activated or even in your inventory to analyze.

After you analyze and get the tampered message you can in fact analyze it again. even after logging off and back on.

After you analyze and get the tampered message you can in fact analyze it again. even after logging off and back on.

That is a bug, and will be fixed next patch

I think we still need to figure out when we get the "something you can't figure out" message and when it gives the actual vein type. This seem to happen at max distance. Maybe it's and indication of something useful.

Speculation: I could be related to the quality of the vein. It could be the actual distance to the tile (i.e. diagonals are further away - Pythagoras and all that). It's not tool quality since the tool isn't used and it's not shard quality since Tich ruled that out.

I also want to know why I can get vein quality on 3 distance (faint) with 60 prospecting, but it happens less than 5% of the time.

Two things I have discovered.

43.7 Prospecting, I can get 3 lines of information with a 72.4 QL iron pickaxe.

Also, I can see vein quality at slight traces: [14:37:06] You notice a slight trace of utmost quality iron ore.

If shard quality is not important and pick is not used, someone with high prospecting could assist a lower skilled character on their deed without needing any extra permissions set. I don't think there is a permission setting for this?

Useful to see that quality can be seen at low-40s Prospecting

Mining has to be enabled on the deed, prospecting goes under the same setting (unless they actually separated the settings for Analyse and Prospect, then I stand corrected).

Edited by Aeris

i think once analyzed the rock shard itself should be destroyed, at least if you think about it your tearing up the shard and sifting through is and separating the odd substances "traces" and such into their own piles and then you burn it and see what color the flame is, and according to the color of the flame that is the matirial

anyways that's my idea of what you are doing, truthfully the rock shard should be used up in the process of analysation

Terapherna

• Like 1

If shard quality is not important and pick is not used, someone with high prospecting could assist a lower skilled character on their deed without needing any extra permissions set. I don't think there is a permission setting for this?

Useful to see that quality can be seen at low-40s Prospecting

36 prospecting i get the quality of the first set of traces

Mining has to be enabled on the deed, prospecting goes under the same setting (unless they actually separated the settings for Analyse and Prospect, then I stand corrected).

actually the person that owns the deed can mine the shard and hand it to the analyzer and they can analyze it from there they don't need any other permissions and you can prospect anywhere without permissions cause your not actually doing anything, like rummaging and forage and botansing

Ps. sorry bout double post i was going to join the 2 but i cant find the delete post button

Edited by Terapherna

Hmm, thank you Dran, perhaps I misinterpreted Lostone's information. If he was including the tile that the shard came from, then he was only observing up to faint traces, or 3 radius. With 3 radius being 15 above 20, perhaps 4 radius is 15 above that? Making it unlock at 50 prospecting. And since we haven't had information at 65-70 prospecting perhaps the pattern is preserved there as well, making 5 radius unlock at 65 instead of 70 like I thought earlier.

I was using the one i mined for shard as centre.

From that i was getting readings 4 to the left  and right and 4 deep.

So a total of 9 tiles infront on that section of tunnel.

When i mine i skip 2 tiles and mine so i can see whats on the walls .

But i used ore veins that i cloud see to test.

And also mined out other areas i tryed to see.

So at 43 prospecting and a 80 QL pick i had 9 facing tunnel walls analysed.

well the new update has made it impossible to level prospecting again

Would you like to explain that comment?

Skillgain in prospecting is fine. Yesterday, I was getting my normal gain from prospecting, and I was getting about a third of that skill gain every time I analyzed a shard.

For instance, at 40 skill, with SB on, I was getting a little over 0.03 per tick. Analyzing was a little over 0.01. I gained 5 levels in prospecting skill that day.... nothing's broken.

On an unrelated note, maybe you have the answer, Tich, as to why it is called analysing and not analyzing. I know it's silly to complain about it, but the game has a few grammatical instances that make me scratch my head, and this is one of them. Wurm needs to decide whether it wants to use the British way of spelling things or the American way. Having American spelling (i.e. color) all throughout the game, then adding things like "analyse" feels inconsistent. At least in my view, anyway... (maybe i'm just being a grammar nerd).

• Like 2

hmm might need to check into it if it is giving more skill than normal. :P  haven't tested it myself.

never thought it was hard to raise though I havent gotten past 50 yet....

Edited by Protunia

45.01 prospecting now, still no "miniscule" (4 radius) traces.

At 60 prospecting it's extremely rare to get ticks anymore (maybe 1 in 20 actions) and since it doesn't use a tool we can't use CoC or a "skiller" low ql tool to increase this. That seems out of place for something that gets more and more advanced the higher skill you have. As it is right now there's no way to skill prospecting at that level except going back to the retarded useless hit-a-wall-5-times-then-move grind. A full day of mining + analyzing gives me about 0.03 prospecting. Grinding prospecting the old fashioned way gives about 0.01 skill per minute.

In my opinion one analyze action should give as much prospecting skill as spending the same time using "prospect" over and over. For me analyze is around 16 seconds and prospect is 4 seconds, so I think it would be only fair if an analyze action would give 4 times as much skill as a prospect action.And this doesn't even account analyzing requiring shards that need to be mined and for prospecting using pickaxes with CoC which can easily add 40%+ to skill gain.

I haven't done an exact count, but my guess is that it's about 1 in 20 actions that give a tick. Regular prospecting gives a tick roughly 50% of the time, even at high skill levels.

Suggestion: make it more difficult gradually or make it jump up in difficulty each time something new is added to the result (2 lines, 3 lines, 4 lines etc.).

Edited by DKSprocket

At 60 prospecting it's extremely rare to get ticks anymore (maybe 1 in 20 actions) and since it doesn't use a tool we can't use CoC or a "skiller" low ql tool to increase this. That seems out of place for something that gets more and more advanced the higher skill you have. As it is right now there's no way to skill prospecting at that level except going back to the retarded useless hit-a-wall-5-times-then-move grind. A full day of mining + analyzing gives me about 0.03 prospecting. Grinding prospecting the old fashioned way gives about 0.01 skill per minute.

In my opinion one analyze action should give as much prospecting skill as spending the same time using "prospect" over and over. For me analyze is around 16 seconds and prospect is 4 seconds, so I think it would be only fair if an analyze action would give 4 times as much skill as a prospect action.And this doesn't even account analyzing requiring shards that need to be mined and for prospecting using pickaxes with CoC which can easily add 40%+ to skill gain.

I haven't done an exact count, but my guess is that it's about 1 in 20 actions that give a tick. Regular prospecting gives a tick roughly 50% of the time, even at high skill levels.

Suggestion: make it more difficult gradually or make it jump up in difficulty each time something new is added to the result (2 lines, 3 lines, 4 lines etc.).

+1 DK did a really good job explaining it for me,

i analyzed a stack of 50 shards and gained 1 tick of prospecting and that was only with the first one i analyzed

Edited by Terapherna

Skillgain in prospecting is fine. Yesterday, I was getting my normal gain from prospecting, and I was getting about a third of that skill gain every time I analyzed a shard.

For instance, at 40 skill, with SB on, I was getting a little over 0.03 per tick. Analyzing was a little over 0.01. I gained 5 levels in prospecting skill that day.... nothing's broken.

On an unrelated note, maybe you have the answer, Tich, as to why it is called analysing and not analyzing. I know it's silly to complain about it, but the game has a few grammatical instances that make me scratch my head, and this is one of them. Wurm needs to decide whether it wants to use the British way of spelling things or the American way. Having American spelling (i.e. color) all throughout the game, then adding things like "analyse" feels inconsistent. At least in my view, anyway... (maybe i'm just being a grammar nerd).

i wish i got your skill gains like i said above, i hit 50 shards from mining a wall and only got 1 tick out of all 50, and my prospecting is only 36 man im dreading getting skill any higher ill never level, i understand everything is a grind in Wurm but 1 tick in 50 (x3 actions per analyze at my level) is insane, unless the RNG happened to been broke in the 30 mins or so i was analyzing that is

I'm not seeing the problem since regular prospecting skillgain hasn't been nerfed, and "Analyse" was implemented as something to use primarily for finding veins, not a mean of skillgrinding.

I'm not seeing the problem since regular prospecting skillgain hasn't been nerfed, and "Analyse" was implemented as something to use primarily for finding veins, not a mean of skillgrinding.

what skill in this game is not use for skill gain specially the ones that have multiple skill ticks per use?

Regular prospecting still hasn't been nerfed, it's just as easy to get now as it was before we got a new option added to it. The point of the new option is to offer more use for a higher prospecting skill, by adding functionality for something people have wanted in the game for a long time.

i wish i got your skill gains like i said above, i hit 50 shards from mining a wall and only got 1 tick out of all 50, and my prospecting is only 36 man im dreading getting skill any higher ill never level, i understand everything is a grind in Wurm but 1 tick in 50 (x3 actions per analyze at my level) is insane, unless the RNG happened to been broke in the 30 mins or so i was analyzing that is

Maybe my post came off as if I were achieving 0.03 for every wall prospected, and 0.01 for every shard analyzed.... which certainly was not the case.

I got that gain when I got a tick... and, again, sleep bonus was involved. I guess a tidbit of info that I did leave out in my last post was that I was using a skiller pickaxe.

You're at 36 prospecting? That's where I was, the day before my post. I suggest you get yourself a skiller pickaxe (single digit ql, 80+coc), store up 3 hours of SB and spend it entirely on prospecting mine walls (don't bother with analyze for gain). You'll see similar gain to mine.