Sign in to follow this  
DKSprocket

Rock Shard Analyzing In Wurm 1.1 - Knowledge And Speculation

Let's try and gather what we know and what we think we know. When posting results please mention your prospecting skill.

The wiki has been updated thanks to Asera, but keep the information and speculation coming.

http://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Analyse

Thanks to Tich for hinting there's more to be learned. :)

Edit: I removed my list of information since it was getting outdated and the wiki has the updated info now.

Edited by DKSprocket

I was able to analyze rock with 21 prospecting.  

Analyzing rock DID give prospecting skill gains.

Thanks. Updated post.

How many lines of information do you get? My guess would be 2 at 20 skill, 3 at 40, 4 at 60. Possibly 5 at 80. Do anyone even have 80 skill? :)

Edited by DKSprocket

On freedom?

In that case, the epic curve doesn't affect analysing, as I wasn't able to do it until ~21 prospecting on Epic.

Right.

You dont have to do it on rock shards either, Iron ore works too

43 prospecting was able to get 4 tilles left and right and 4 in for info.

Thank you for the information! It helped greatly when I was writing the article. It's unfinished but I would appreciate it if you took a look at what I have so far. http://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Analyse

FYI There is more to be added, but i'm not saying what

I'd assume there is possible information on flint, salt and gems to discover too.

Flint and Salt - possible, as that's an aspect of the tile.

But gems come randomly from the mining action, as far as I know, and don't exist until they drop.

If more than one vein is present at a certain distance each vein can give its own line of information. For example having both a very good and acceptable vein two tiles away listed both of them.

Edited by DKSprocket

Excellent work and thanks for updating the wiki

Hello, I'm Hodur. 

I have 80,4 prospecting and this is what I got when I analyzed a 90,97ql rock shard with a rare 90ql pickaxe.

[18:52:21] You start to analyse the shard.

[18:52:21] Lots of different sized rock shards.

[18:52:23] You cannot see any unusual traces of anything. 

[18:52:23] You take a closer look.

[18:52:26] You do not notice any unusual slight traces.

[18:52:26] You study it a bit more.

[18:52:28] You cannot see anything unusual.

[18:52:28] You study it real hard.

[18:52:31] You see a minuscule trace of normal quality iron ore.

[18:52:31] You peer at it.

[18:52:33] You notice a vague trace of iron ore.

[18:52:33] You finish analysing the shard.

I count 5 info messages.

Edited by Hodur

Not really finding anything that confirms the belief that QL of shard/ore matters. In fact, nothing I've seen so far points in that direction.

Was standing in the same spot and mined QL 75, 50 and 36 ores. My prospecting skill was 61.8. Got these messages:

QL75 shard:

[19:11:43] You start to analyse the ore.

[19:11:43] A reddish chunk of rock containing many cavities lined with dark, metallic crystals.

[19:11:48] You do not notice any unusual traces.

[19:11:48] You take a closer look.

[19:11:54] You do not notice any unusual slight traces.

[19:11:54] You study it a bit more.

[19:12:01] You spot a faint trace of slate shards.

[19:12:01] You study it real hard.

[19:12:07] You see a minuscule trace of iron ore.

[19:12:07] You finish analysing the ore.

QL50 shard:

[19:17:14] You start to analyse the ore.

[19:17:14] A reddish chunk of rock containing many cavities lined with dark, metallic crystals.

[19:17:17] You cannot see anything unusual.

[19:17:17] You take a closer look.

[19:17:21] You cannot see any unusual slight traces of anything.

[19:17:21] You study it a bit more.

[19:17:24] You see a faint trace of slate shards.

[19:17:24] You study it real hard.

[19:17:28] You see a minuscule trace of iron ore.

[19:17:28] You finish analysing the ore.

QL36 shard:

[19:22:42] You start to analyse the ore.

[19:22:42] A reddish chunk of rock containing many cavities lined with dark, metallic crystals.

[19:22:45] You cannot see anything unusual.

[19:22:45] You take a closer look.

[19:22:49] You do not notice any unusual slight traces.

[19:22:49] You study it a bit more.

[19:22:52] You see a faint trace of slate shards.

[19:22:52] You study it real hard.

[19:22:56] You notice a minuscule trace of iron ore.

[19:22:56] You finish analysing the ore.

The only thing I'm seeing is an inconsistency where it varies between "do not" and "cannot", which proves nothing since the wording didn't seem to be related to the QL. The QL75 and 36 used the same in one instance and the QL50 and 36 in another.

Edited by Aeris

Seems like above 80 prospecting you see the quality (in Hodur's message) I have 71 skill and didnt see the actual ql of what I found traces of

[18:25:37] You do not notice any unusual traces.

[18:25:37] You take a closer look.
[18:25:40] You cannot see any unusual slight traces of anything.
[18:25:40] You study it a bit more.
[18:25:43] You cannot see any unusual faint traces of anything.
[18:25:43] You study it real hard.
[18:25:47] You notice a minuscule trace of iron ore.
[18:25:47] You peer at it.
[18:25:51] You see a vague trace of iron ore.
[18:25:51] You finish analysing the shard.

Edited by Lycanthropic

[22:51:55] You notice a slight trace of good quality silver ore.

Can see this at 60 prospecting. I put this silver on the third "ring" away from my location. (edit: actually it would have been second ring from the rock tile I had mined, I guess)

Edited by Andobi

Thank you for all the information so far. I've updated the wiki again. But there are still some parts that need more data, as while they seem intuitively right, I want to be absolutely sure of them.  It is mostly the section on quality detection and the levels at which your detection radius increases.

You can analyse the same rock shard over and over again and get different messages. (just analyse the rock shard again after getting that tampering message).

I agree that the part about the information changing due to randomness and pick quality was probably incorrect. Shard quality might still influence the messages a bit, but I haven't tested that specifically.

With 60 quality prospecting I usually get vein quality on the first two messages. I'm quite sure I've gotten it on the 3rd message as well a couple of times. Also, sometimes distance 4 (my max) shows traces of "something" and sometimes it shows the name of the vein. My guess is that it could depend on shard quality although I haven't tested it specifically.

Do we know if the radius used is square or an approximated circle?

Edited by DKSprocket

Updated the wiki page again, with Bix's discovery, and added a bit more to uncertain knowledge regarding rock shard QL's part in the information collected.

DK, I believe the radius to be a square, and that's what I currently have in the article. If it is a circle approximation then that approximation is a square at two tiles distant.  If someone with higher prospecting wants to check if it's a square or not, you can tell by whether or not you can detect at the corners of the square of detection, as those would most likely be cut off at larger distances.  However I doubt this will be the case as it would confuse a lot of people who have difficulty just using the normal prospecting to locate ore veins.

Also, as I've finally reached prospecting 30 I can confirm that there is no increase in the detection distance at that level.

Knowing that at 40 the detection distance is 4 tiles, I am forced to assume either 3 and 4 are unlocked simultaneously at 40, or 3 is unlocked at 35, which seems odd.

Opinions and observations are very much appreciated as I am only one person, and, as I've found out, almost all of my knowledge about this ability has been proved wrong at some point.

Just to help (a bit) The radius is a square, and the QL of the item that you are analysing does not matter.

• Like 1

one thing i can confirm is that it is a square as i put my gold vein at the edge of my distance (faint traces with 36 prospecting) but is said that There are faint traces of something else but you cant make out what it is.

This is when it is in the absolute corner of the area you have skill for

i am training it and testing to see when i can get that corner to tell me what is there will update when i get the required skill.

If 4 tile radius is unlocked at 40, it must only be with 100ql pickaxe.  I am 41.7 skill with a 70ql pick and haven't seen a 4 radius yet.

Hmm, thank you Dran, perhaps I misinterpreted Lostone's information. If he was including the tile that the shard came from, then he was only observing up to faint traces, or 3 radius. With 3 radius being 15 above 20, perhaps 4 radius is 15 above that? Making it unlock at 50 prospecting. And since we haven't had information at 65-70 prospecting perhaps the pattern is preserved there as well, making 5 radius unlock at 65 instead of 70 like I thought earlier.