Tritus

Impressions Of 1.1 ?

Impressions of 1.1  

122 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like 1.1? Please post reason for answer

• Thumbs up
    • Undecided
    • Thumbs Down

ATI user here. My frame rates dropped, but they are still at a comfortable level of play. It seems smoother though, if that makes any sense. I like teh look, including the lighting, as it seems more atmospheric to me. The interface changes don't bother me at all.

Some people complaints (not just this thread) are a bit much. NOt having some of teh GUI items on by default is not a game breaker. Maybe they thought that not having everyting on all at once was pleasant, and gave user a choice about what they wanted.

Some things however, are worrisome. This message for instance: Avoid using the new building expansion feature until a fix is implemented.  DO NOT add plans or expansions to structures you do not own or you will be banned. That might have been something that couldn't have been tested for release.

• Like 1

To be frank I think the testing for everything was sloppy.  No offense to Rolf and the staff, but in IRC I didn't see testing until Monday night (when it was to be released Tuesday), and seemed very last minute.  People were having issues with ATI and models, shaders, etc.  Rolf postponed it, and pushed it back a day, but even then I don't think everything was working well for people.  I know from IRC many were complaining about their findings on IRC, but still the game was released.

I think 1.1 has some nice features, but I can't deny also that I think the preperations and testings for it was pretty sloppy.  

It does indeed has nice features. Only nothing works like it should.

I would be happy to make a staff with a gem on it. Now it seems there almost impossible to make.. Since star gems are close to the most rare items you can get...

Im just dissapointed again in an update.

Didnt have problem before update 1.1

With GLSL set to Core I have 11fps.

With GLSL set to disabled I have stable 30fps. I locked it at 30fps.

I live by the water so I need to have reflections. Please fix or give solution asap.

Win7 64-bit

AMD FX 8120

ATI XFX Radeon 6950

Latest drivers, latest java.

Edited by Tsetse

Mostly a  non-event for me.

Went into settings before starting so I could have things as I was used to them.

Epic stuff is for epic, so irrelevant

I'm a priest main so crafting stuff is out of the window

I do get to see trees falling which is nice. I've had a few smaller crops which I should recover from in almost no time at all.

Performance is exactly the same as before, no crashes, no problems whether single or running multiple clients.

Overall, I am happy with this new update. I especially love the Inventory Grouping, no more searching through my stuff to find the right tool for the job. The Tabards are nice too, and the Art Team deserve a big Thumbs Up for the animation work they've done. 

I'm not too pleased with the client crashes though, but I've played wurm for long enough to know a fix to this will be found.

Foraging for the new trees is nice.  But will it last forever?  If it does we are going to have more Fir/lendy/Walnut and Chestnut trees then the old ones after awhile.  Hope there is a time limit on the foraging for sprouts or you add all the trees to it.

Edited by squirrels

Great work on 1.1 - We are creatures of habit, so anything new will take time to get used to, adjust to. I like the new Character menu and don't even think we need any kind of text in each box to let us know where what goes, a few weeks using it and we'll know anyway. I can only see it getting better and better as further features to it get added and fixed. Great work to the entire team  :P

Edited by Elrohiir

On my Intel GPU laptop, I had to disable GLSL to come above 5 fps. Now it's running at an improved, steady 16 fps, whereas before it was always around 10-11 fps.

On my NVIDIA desktop, I used to be able to play at much higher settings, but get a stuttering halt in fps every 30 mins or so. Usually when combat started... caused me too much grief to play on that machine. Now - after the update - I've increased the graphics, shadows and resolution and am playing at an amazing quality and steady fps over hours!

So for me: great update with great performance improvements - if using the right settings for the hardware.

The new animations and models round off the feeling of completedness. Only thing I don't care so much for are the shiny pillow-shading of trees, horses etc.

Very much enjoying it.

The paperdoll is very nice. I like it a lot and I don't think it will take much to get used to it for me. I have a couple of suggestions to it, but its very useful for helping equip armour and items.

Adding onto structures is very very nice, no longer need to blow up a whole house just to expand it a few tiles. Great work on that!

Lots of great new models, some of them being the mountain lions, trolls, and goblins, but also merchants have a great new look AND some nice animations.

The new trees are nice looking and I noticed that some of these will be harvestable, possibly going to find more new content in there too...

Personal goals are nice and give something to do, though some are impossible to do on freedom servers. I can not perform 6 of my goals because they are either asking me to slay a unique or do something epic related, such as become a demigod and slay a sol demon.

Hopefully the sorcery system will be available to the freedom cluster soon as it looks very exciting.

Sadly the fps dropped slightly for me and I had to lower my water reflection settings to fix this.

The new items - flowerpots, gravestones etc - will be great to add a little more flair to deeds and I cant wait to see them used in places. Same for diagonal road tiles. The visible barding and saddles are very nice too, though they only seem to work on horses.

Tabbards are nice but I was hoping to see they are created with a certain kingdom tag, allowing for players on freedom to wear kingdom tabbards from the chaos server. Just a little nifty thing like the kingdom banners do.

I LOVE the new ingame music. It's so much better than the old music!

The inventory grouping is very nice. Especially combined with the new foraging system :D

Cross server chat is a great feature - irc will be pretty much of my list now.

All in all I'm very much liking it!

Foraging for the new trees is nice.  But will it last forever?  If it does we are going to have more Fir/lendy/Walnut and Chestnut trees then the old ones after awhile.  Hope there is a time limit on the foraging for sprouts or you add all the trees to it.

sometime, maybe next week, I may reduce the chance on getting them or remove them completely or even add all other sprout types as well (all at a reduced change to find)

Crashed all over, else it would be good one. Fix the crashes pretty pls.

For the Content that I use or would be interested in... Overall I have to say Thumbs Down. Most Updates I find more good than bad, but this one....

1.) FPS for me dropped quite a bit. I now lag almost constantly and I have lowered the settings as much as I ever will. I am not enjoying playing Wurm because it's now hard just to go from one part of my deed to another.... and I am not an overachiever when I build a deed, my current deed (on Release with an Alt) is sparsely developed.

I play Wurm as a virtual World, not as a "game" or as a way to make a paycheck. Lag kills the enjoyment of a virtual world experience. This update was supposed to increase performance, not dramatically decrease it. No I am not going to buy a new computer or new hardware, I can play several MMOs quite well with my computer as it is.

2.) The Graphics Update has now changed how the Trees, Animals, and Structures "Look" to me, how they appear. Trees and Animals now look "Plastic" and fake like cheap holiday decorations. Structures are darkier in color now and do not reflect the light from Lamps as they used to and as I desire them to.

Refer to number 1. I want the environment to look real and believable (within reason). Trees and Animals that look like they have pastic skins is not how Wurm used to look to me with my computer and it's hardware before the Update, but now it does. Wurm's environment lost for me some of believability.

3.) Some new content like Sorcery and Karma enhancents I think should be a situation where We the Players have to "discover" the details. I agree with this. However....

The Farming changes on the other hand I see as a completely different matter. Not only do I think these changes should have been documented and released before the update (so we could properly submit real bug reports instead of guessing like a Lottery), but I now feel the Farming changes may not have been adequetely tested on PTS at all.

Farming is NOT a normally "hidden" or "Secret" profession like say Sorcery, rather it is a universal skill used in all cultures and details of Farming would be known to most people even in this fictious virtual game we play. To think or decide not to document Farming changes I consider to be a poor decision at best. We should have known before hand that ALL CROPS in the field at the time of the Update may be bugged. I am no programmer, coder, etc. I honestly did not see that one coming.... but I do imagine Rolf and the Devs did.

Now add to that the price increase of May 2nd, which for me resulted in Wurm now costing more than most subscription plan MMOs, and the final result for me is Thumbs Down.

I wish the result was different.

Edited by Kyrmius

Nice patch with some interesting elements.

Usual round of hiccups and adapting.

Overall nothing to complain about personally.

Good:

- Skill tracker

- Some of the new models are cool

- Visible kingdom tabard's should help a fair bit in PvP to distinguish who is who

- Visible bardings on horses will be cool in PvP

- Inventory Grouping

Neutral:

- I don't like the new climbing bars and stuff, but you can disable it so that's fine

- I think it would be better if groups didn't count towards inventory limit, so you could have 100 items in each group and 100 items in inventory.

Bad:

- I personally feel the paperdoll is extremely clumsy so have disabled it, but now I have a million different submenus in inventory and it makes it very confusing and hard to react quickly

- Logging in with nothing equiped

- Serious client performance issues, crashes and lag galore

I haven't really bothered looking at the new fences yet, doesen't really interest me. Overall thou it's a pretty good update.

Edited by Gavin

Terrible update, paperdoll sucks imo, i crashed over 15 times in 2 days and as soon as i have a few trees in my view i drop like 30 fps.. wurm is kinda unplayable for me since 1.1.

Played 5 months without problems and now i cant do much anymore.

Don't know about you but it would be a major +1 to me if we could hang a small lantern on our hip slot and have them show up on our char.

Was thinking about that earlier, for carts. 

I'm liking the update personally , except for 2 issues.

First is having all my equipment ends up back in my inventory whenever i log out for a while.

Second is that the update has made everything darker, lamps now don't work as well because of it, especially in caves.  It feels as though there is a smog over everything hiding some of the light aspect..

Lamps / Lanterns etc need to have their " Brightness " back.

I'm not having any issues with crashing, and my game performance seems smoother with most things on high or max, especially when running multiple clients.

Hopefully the issues others are having that is causing the crash can be fixed soon.

• Like 1

It needs bug squashing (badly in some respects) but otherwise it's like mana from heaven.

My nublet garden now looks even more interesting.