Sign in to follow this  
ReaverKane

New Farming System

Ryshad it has been done on the test server, people have tested this, spoke there peace and it was ignored.

My mine doesn't give me ore while I sleep and my trees don't give me wood without chopping, why should farms give 10 items for 2 clicks?

• Like 3

ReaverKane is right it sucks.  Call a spade a spade 

I have to say that I doubt this highly. Every MMO ever, no matter how clearly the changes are marked and explained, there's always people who will rage. Rebalancing a core game mechanic will always get complaints from people who feel they're being nerfed... and rebalancing, in and of itself, pretty much guarantees that someone will view it as a nerf. If you make it better for lower players, the elites whine that they don't feel special any more. If you make it better for the top end, the newer players whine that they're being ignored in favor of the big money.

It's a no-win situation for the Devs... but most definitely NOT a no-whine situation.

Of course there would be rage if the nerf is confirmed. No one likes a nerf. Last time i did a full harvest on my farm deed it took me 3 hours JUST to harvest, i had a newbie help with sowing, now add the need to farm consecutively, i wouldn't be doing anything on wurm just to get the same harvest.

My point was/is, if the nerf is onlly apparent due to transitional issues IF there had been information on how the mechanics are supposed to work, then there would be no rage threads. Can't say the same if those would confirm the nerf. And i'm guessing the lack of information means it will confirm the nerf.

Its just like when breeding was drastically overhauled upon Gaeron's suggestion. Its going to take a while for the changes to be reflected, so wait and see before ensuing with the QQ. Such as a week.

On a related topic... Never fails to amaze how often people assume a bug from a patch is an intentional nerf/buff, especially within 24hrs of the update.

Difference is we had gaeron's suggestion to know why it was changing. We had something to refer to in order to know what to expect. This even though a PR team member said he'd have information on the changes by release time. NOTHING was delivered. So yeah price increases but service is the same, and yeah i'm pissed, people can call me childish but at least i won't sink my head in the sand and pretend they're not bsing us into believing there will be any improvement in Wurm's costumer service.

Here, Here! I fully support the suggestion of a moratorium.

Until players of varying skill and rake ql have gone through a full sow, grow, harvest cycle with the new system, we have no idea how the yields have really changed. The crops being raked/harvested now are hybrids planted pre-1.1 and can't be considered representative of the new rules.

Lets gather ALL the facts and debate the pros and cons of the new system once we can see what the new system actually is.

If the net result is that untended crops yield slightly less than before, but tended crops yield slightly more, then I personally consider that an improvement; most crops need at least a little attention to maximize their development. I would fully expect a handful of seeds thrown in the dirt and ignored for a couple of weeks to have produced less than seeds that were painstakingly weeded and watered. But until the yields are confirmed, this is just speculation and declaring it "the day wurm died" or quitting/changing play style is wildly premature.

Lets NOT gather all the facts. Thats NOT our job! We're not paying a monthly subscription to gather facts, we're paying to be entertained. And atm the perspective of having to spend MORE time doing menial chores IS NOT entertaining.

My mine doesn't give me ore while I sleep and my trees don't give me wood without chopping, why should farms give 10 items for 2 clicks?

Cause you don't have to cultivate the ore vein or the tree to dirt, you don't have to sow the tree/ore vein (although you can replant the tree - but even if you don't new trees will pop-up), you don't have to wait a certain time for the vein to grow mature enough, and you don't only get less than ten ores from a vein, and even a single old tree gives more than 1 log, and most uses of logs mean that each log yields more than one item.

So if you want to compare irrelevant stuff, why not have that you need to drink 0,1l of lemonade or wine to get every point of stamina back up, or have to drink potions to get favor up again? Or maybe even have to babysit every tool and item daily so it doesn't rot away. Lets add on the menial chores and time wasters, maybe then everyone is happy.

this is game killer for me 2 crops at 46 skill says game over this update will be known as the day wurm died :angry:

First off I hate the farming changes too (maybe it will be better next crop I guess I will see) but come on people stop with the 'this update will be known as the day wurm died' I have heard that every update on every game I have ever played. No this update wont be the game killer. Yes people will complain, they will likely wait a bit and then tweak is some to make it work better. If you want to state your dissatisfaction feel free but lets try not to be so over dramatic.  When I ran my Online Multi-player game I always said if I could p*ss off 1/2 the people the change was good.

Difference is we had gaeron's suggestion to know why it was changing. We had something to refer to in order to know what to expect. This even though a PR team member said he'd have information on the changes by release time. NOTHING was delivered. So yeah price increases but service is the same, and yeah i'm pissed, people can call me childish but at least i won't sink my head in the sand and pretend they're not bsing us into believing there will be any improvement in Wurm's costumer service.

What difference? People were still complaining then; although, the breeding system was only live for about a few days.

Opinions, at least in the form of feedback, needs to be substantiated by something beyond personal desires or else there's not much that can be done with it. I personally think it would be a GREAT idea to have the next update spawn 100 gold coins in my inventory and nobody else's, but me expressing that opinion is useless because I can't motivate why this would improve the game for anybody but myself. If you want to change something you better motivate it properly so people will believe and agree with you.

I suppose it would help however if the devs clearly communicated their intentions with the inevitable changes. Again, providing tangible and believable motives is important. Then when players complain the devs can point and say "This is why we did it, and this is was important".

Right to the point!

I'm unhappy with the lack of information about the new release and how the company manage it.

A new version/update of the game with tons of bugs and client crashes....is it normal?

Slow responce or non from the support.

In my personal opinion, and as i do in my life, i rather do something right or i just don't do it.

I'm just a customer, when i won't be satisfied anymore with this product i'll search else where.

SO far, i'm happy with the new release, much was expected, lots of work done and to that i must cheer the team, however, i was expecting a little more than this.

So, like i did every update, i'll just do what i was doing and wait till all is fixef, before try anything.

Have a nice day folks!

Edited by Maedhros

For now i keep getting 4-5 barleys and corn, 60+ql seed, 60+ farming, 66ql rake, all raked at least 2 times, most where sowed before the update but also some of the sowed after the update have riped too, i will try to leave part of it without harvest to see if a 3rd rakeing helps.

Examining the crops before and after raking, shows not change at all in the predicted yield.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed I've only harvested pre- 1.1 crops atm, I have 72 farming, using a 69ql Rake and 80/90ql seeds and after tending twice a day I'm getting 4 yield..... not impressed.

But going to wait a while before I start raging and worrying too much :S

I'm a noob farmer with skill at 10 and a rake at 20. Currently I've only gotten yields of 1 back.

Not complaining as of yet, but I hope I do get at least 2 seeds back, as I'm always going trough my fileds 2 a day and rake what is rakeable. If I only get 1 seed back all I do is just increase my skill and still won't be able to feed myself what is why Ifarm in the first place.

the new system should work that you either have a ton of fields and don't do anything and get the same as if you only have a few fields and rake them...

I have a farming alt that I was hoping to pass my farming time on to, but at 10 farming and a 10 skill rake with 10 quality seeds, I'm only getting 1 harvest.  

But, those were pre-patch plants.  I've replanted post patch, and I'll be happy so long as I get 2 yield after tending crops once a day til harvest.

I'm also testing, sowed some pumpkins (ql about 50, i think, will need to re-check) 9 tiles of it (my usual pumpkin patch to eat). 3 tiles i'm raking regularly (83ql rake), 3 i'll rake only before harvest, and won't rake the final 3, will post results (all sowed right after 1.1 release).

I see nothing wrong with basing in on skill/tool Qlty like other resource skills woodcutting, mining, etc....

I think the Qlty of the product should be effected as well like other resource skills.

That might be where seed qlty comes into play.

Edited by Protunia

my my my, the sky is falling, the sky is falling.

maybe we can wait a few days and see how the farming actually works, without fields that are a mix of old and new farming calculations so we get some actual results based on a full crop cycle under the new system before we all start to scream and shout.

I didnt take offense to this at all lol.

Seemed like s reference to people freaking out over something they don't know much of anything about yet.

Which is what half of the posts in this thread are.

Also.. the GMs are volunteer assistants to players. They are also players themselves so they have right to their own opinion. And even if he was trolling (which I don't understand how its not obvious he wasn't) nearly everyone trolls on these forums.. so they have a right to that as well :D

Anyway. I'm another +1 to waiting a week or so to get some research before we march on code club with our torches and pitchforks.

Farming skill of 28, rake I think is about 20ql, all crops harvested so far are pre 1.1 sowed. 1 tend harvests = 1 crop, 2 tend harvests = 2 crops...

It must be said that the new forage/bot system is great, whole pumpkins, mushrooms, wemp plants, able to forage on tree tiles, wonderful. So after madly searching for the new tree sprouts (like everyone else) I ended up with some 88ql rye and a few others much higher than my farming skill, which I'll be test planting.

Edited by Hailiah

Interesting.

89 skill, 89ql seeds 55ql rake now up to 3 farming actions per tile, crop is wemp, used to get almost all 9's occasional 7 or 10

With 1 farms per tile I got  all 7's with 1 6 yield

With 2 farms per tile I got a  mix of 6's and 7's

With 3 farms per tile i got some 7's more sixes and now some 5's

I really hope there is a +/- mix up in farm actions contributing to yield.

Important metrics:

1.  A time versus yield measurement using the sow + harvest times to yield harvested. This is what people often refer to as base yield. 

2. A similar type measurement using rake time to yield increase. In the past raking didn't increase yield enough to at least equal planting another tile. So players planted more tiles instead of raking more. I just don't get how the dev's don't foresee that this nerf won't change that mentality. All they are achieving is making people mad.

The proper solution for farming is one where every second spent doing some farming related action (sow, harvest, farm) equally increases yield. AND! don't nerf the pre 1.1 no-rake yields. The rake time would be based on using a high ql rake.

I approve of the new farming system! Finally wurms getting some challenge added to it.

Just need to fix the bug with the RNG that gives 17units per random tile.

What challenge? I do approve of a more challenging gameplay, too, but increased tedium doesn't equal challenge. It just increases the slow, boring aspects of Wurm. There's absolutely no player skill involved, which does, in fact, equal challenge.

• Like 4

I love a thread like this and only read the first page as yet.

Just wanted to remind you that the old farming system was crap. The old farming system was crap.

More factors adds to the game, whatever the (as yet untweaked) outcome. I can only applaud this move by the devs. Seems the people complaining are happy with a simple mindless grind = reward system.

Really, who cares if your yield isn't high anyway? Are you feeding the server or what? Can't wait to try this out now because of the attention put in.

Minor apologies if I'm wrong on any points, GG

Edited by Silures

Farming is still crap, it just got more artificial difficulty. Only thing affecting farming is raking the field and supposedly quality of the seeds. I do like how high ql seeds got a faster timer when sowing, but farming hasn't really moved forward. I wouldn't mind if certain biomes, heights and weather would affect your harvest, even location of the server relatively to the cluster could affect it, but I guess i'm one of the few who wants depth in the system, not just timesink peppered with timesink

Edited by san_tropez
  • Like 2

I agree! Stop breaking stuff that doesn't need fixed, and fix stuff that's broken! I STILL had to snuff and then light my lantern when I logged in to get light. O.o   :angry:

Agreed ! Someone suggested making the QL of harvest depend in seed and tool QL and everyone slaughtered that idea. (including me) Because it already takes enough time to farm (a few real life days) and creating high QL meals already is hard enough, so farming doesn't need more complication.

I mainly didn't like this suggestion because you have to choose between gaining skill and good QL when you farm. But this change is actually worse. Now you have to choose between skilling and yield ...

That lantern stuff is almost in the age to get to a home for old bugs. Why not fix this ? I am loosing litres of olive oil because it always burns out while i'm offline. Honestly guys of wurm-dev, there are some awesome things going on, but players always get that feeling that you just do what you feel like. It can't be so much to check an outlogging player's inventory for a lantern and snuff it if it's lightened.

Edited by Vedurin
  • Like 2

I don't think farming should be two actions per farm plot then just make farm as big as possible for thousands of gain. To think of it, even if you make a tree farm as big as possible, it still took many actions to get adequate logs from a single tree. Now, possibly the current farming system will means just like other main skills on wurm, you have to spend time on them, it is a profession just like not everyone choose to be a woodcutter or a miner. There might be no more too many crops that a single person can fed the whole server and crops would actually be sellable (think of it, atm most times the only ones that buy them are those who looking to grind SD). And if farming feels take long time to do, reduce farm size and get woa rake ^.^ .

Edited by rosedragon

I approve of the new farming system! Finally wurms getting some challenge added to it.

Just need to fix the bug with the RNG that gives 17units per random tile.

I don't know what your definition of challenge is, but pressing a button and waiting till a timer has expired doesn't sound challenging to me. Though the last 10-15 years games have been becoming easier and easier, so maybe my idea of challenge is outdated and simply pressing the mouse button several times a week for each field is now considered a challenging action?

This new farming system is still very easy, some new tedium was added into it but I don't feel it has made it more interesting at the same time. Each crop is pretty much treated the same, none of them have different mechanics. There also appear to be no other factors like the quality of the soil (for example planting crops on the same area should exhaust that land and greatly reduce your harvest in time. letting animals walk on the land while there are no crops could then increase fertility again), water and irrigation are totally irrelevant too at the moment. Something could also be done in the direction of scarecrows, etc, right now there are just no external threats from the environment towards the size of your harvest. Farming just isn't dynamic at the moment, it has the potential for so much more.

I feel that the last change overall was a step back because it only added tedium, while it didn't make farming more interesting.

I don't know what your definition of challenge is, but pressing a button and waiting till a timer has expired doesn't sound challenging to me. Though the last 10-15 years games have been becoming easier and easier, so maybe my idea of challenge is outdated and simply pressing the mouse button several times a week for each field is now considered a challenging action?

All skilling on wurm is like that :P ..