Sign in to follow this  
ReaverKane

New Farming System

And what if all is great after the new system settled in?

Complaining on things you "CANT" know is just stupid. 

In the worst case scenary i will come and write an apology in the same sized letter i used in my complain?

Will you or some of the other GM/Devs will do the same?

• Like 1

And what if all is great after the new system settled in?

Complaining on things you "CANT" know is just stupid. 

I can and i will, and until proven wrong i am assuming code club is just that incompetent. In fact past evidence suggests just that.

Why? Because they had the time to provide the information on how it was supposed to work.

They chose not to! And what's worse, all the game's representatives that have posted on this thread are saying "you don't know squat, deal with it", instead of providing official, valid information on what's expected.

Cool Deal!!

Hope the tabard superimposes on the armor, and not replaces it, and that in the future PMKs and even individual deeds or alliances (thinking of freedom) get to "costumize" their tabard by mixing a preset number of foreground and background images (something pretty standard for mmo guilds and clans in many games).

Also i'm a bit concerned about the farming thing, although i think its great that skill and ql of the seeds factors in, i hope there's not too big of a variation (ie a lvl 60 farmer still gets his due minimum six, but higher ql seeds and farming with a high ql rake gets extra).

Also a suggestion for the PR team, why not create a "focus" feature about sorcerer powers new farming mechanics and such with a bit more detail?

Edited by ReaverKane
  • Like 2

I hope using seeds of a ql within your farming level will net the same yields, otherwise meh

how about wait a week with a new sowed tiles and rake and see what it goes? Actually newbies can get more than the old 2 yields if they farm diligently.. And it is not a nerf, you can get more than before. Dudes, this is not COD game where what you need to do is just shot everyone else!

I think the change was MUCH needed. farming has always been too easy and the market is flooded to death with farmed goods. there was never any work in farming as you always got enough to reseed and never had to rake if you didnt want to...now it seems..youll need to rake if you want something to eat...I like the realism. I worked up to the mid 40's in skill without thinking. So if the net.... "as yet unknown" ... yield of the new farming mechanic actually lowers the amount of farmed goods available..then its a great change. adding more to the base yield would have been just ridiculous. Wurm suffers from an overabundance of specific goods as is..so this is a good direction.

I agree with this philosophy. I recently just hit 50 farming. The only reason I got into farming (as my main skill) is because I felt the harvests were so OP. I just loved the fact that you could harvest a few tiles and get a TON of crops. But with the same attitude, harvesting so much made the crops itself dirt cheap in value. In addition, there was really no difference between me and someone with lower level farming.

I personally find it challenging now. I enjoy the fact that lazy farmers get nothing and people are quitting. That's more power to me in all honesty. As crops go up in demand, I'll be more valuable to a village. The only thing that might hold me back is the fact that I use a low ql rake for skill gain. But honestly, that's not going to stop me. And if the rumors of GREATER harvest values are possible, then that'll be a buff in my eyes.

Let's wait a few days and see what's actually going on with farming.

Oh, and for the record: Spellcast wasn't mocking any of you. He just said outloud what everyone was thinking, and he wasn't even rude about it. It was a joke.

• Like 5

Oh, and for the record: Spellcast wasn't mocking any of you. He just said outloud what everyone was thinking, and he wasn't even rude about it. It was a joke.

Sorry, as a Game Master that's way past reprehensible. That's just outright the kind of behavior that gets people quitting, not to mention its obviously flaming (or fanning the flames). So no, its not a joke, a joke is the way Wurm is represented.

Lots of tags in the forum, but no real work done.

I thought it was kinda funny myself. But your post struck me as odd. Why are you speaking on the record for Spellcast?   Are you two the same person? :P

Edited by Talilon

How about Rolf gives Spellcast (and the rest of the Wurm Online staff) some concrete information so they know how it is supposed to work? He could give it to us, or his staff could if we ask. We get updates that are either very vaguely mentioned or not mentioned at all in the patch notes. If you're going to tell me that you enjoy it, that's fine, it's your opinion, but don't tell me it's the way the game is supposed to be. There's no point in telling me that my opinion is wrong (like so many of you like to do when anyone mentions getting some actual information). Here's an idea: put the information in a little spoiler box, and let the people who want to know find out, and the people who want to figure it out themselves do that. Then everyone can be happy and go on their merry way, and we will have one less thing to complain about.

/rant over

• Like 1

I see alot of people totally misunderstanding something very important.

FARMERS FREQUENTLY DON'T RAKE! 

All those comments about tending and raking for the next week are missing the point that pre 1.1 you got pretty good yield from not raking. Raking was only done to get skill.

Today I planted some 98 ql seed, I'll wait 5 or so days, NOT RAKE ONCE (like I did under pre 1.1), and hope that the harvest yield is not 6 like it was this morning.

• Like 1

With the help of a friendly GM, I tried out the new farming system on the Test server yesterday.

On live, I have 99 farming/rake skill and, pre-1.1, would get 7 crops per tile if I don't rake, usually 9 if I rake once, always 9 and very rarely 10 if I raked like crazy.

We tested with my character at 95 rake skill and 95 farming, using a standard 95QL rake for some and a fantastic 91QL rake for others.  All of the tiles were wemp.

I got a yield of 9x from raking at every stage till ripe.  Normal rake.

On a tile that had been raked every time and then again on the "just about to turn rotten" stage, the yield was 10x.  Normal rake, as well.

With the tiles that got the same treatment, but with a fantastic-rarity rake, the yields were 11x and 12x.

Raking just once, but with 95QL seeds, yielded 7x or 8x per tile.

With no raking at all, every tile returned 6x.  Didn't see a real difference in yield between 1QL or 95QL seeds.

I'm not sure what the point of these changes were, to be honest.  The bonus yield from raking still doesn't offset the time spent doing it, if you are no longer interested in gaining skill.  If I sow 2500 tiles and spend a couple of hours raking every day, I increase my yield for this week alone.  If I take those 10-15 hours and instead spend them digging out new farmland, I increase my yield every single week for as long as I'm sowing everything.  The only long-lasting impact I can see from this change would be that all those humongous farms will get a little bit bigger to offset the reduced yield.

I have a hard time believing that farming's yield really needed to be cut for server reasons; this is the era of FSBs and BSBs allowing you to store as much as you want with little effect on server performance, so that explanation is out.  I never really felt like farming produced too much, either, as it has always been perhaps the most disposable and niche resource production skill.  Pre-1.1, I could spend 7 hours sowing and 8 hours harvesting, producing 15000 usable crops that could be burned up in a couple of days, what with priests spamming cooked food for the SD grind or going crazy with cordage.  At one point I had to sow a full 2500 tiles every week just to keep up with the village priests' needs.  I would be impressed if someone found a way to regularly burn up fifteen thousand metal lumps in the span of less than a week.

All of that said, this vitriol is really unnecessary.  Farming isn't boned by a long stretch, but I don't feel the changes accomplish anything, except perhaps inciting inordinate outrage.

• Like 6

I thought it was kinda funny myself. But your post struck me as odd. Why are you speaking on the record for Spellcast?   Are you two the same person? :P

Yes, I am obviously Spellcast. (he might disagree, but that's just imagination)

My post might've come off as a bit odd, but the thread showed tendencies of turning into a "Baww let's bash the GM because I'm mad" thing. He wasn't being rude so turning the thread in that direction wouldn't be very fair to him.

Edited by Aeris

All those comments about tending and raking for the next week are missing the point that pre 1.1 you got pretty good yield from not raking. Raking was only done to get skill.

Well, maybe the devs want to change this? Just because we got used to raking not being important doesn't mean that's the way the devs intended it to be.

• Like 1

So noizhead confirms the nerf then...

And yeah noize its not that farming is now undoable, but like i said its a stupid change, and a unnecessary nerf.

Yes, I am obviously Spellcast. (he might disagree, but that's just imagination)
My post might've come off as a bit odd, but the thread showed tedencies of turning into a "Baww let's bash the GM because I'm mad" thing. He wasn't being rude so turning the thread in that direction wouldn't be very fair to him.

Not its a post about farming in which a GM posted to mock people concerned with a BAD change to the game, which was commented upon twice, then again after you tried to intercede on his behalf.

Edited by ReaverKane

I can and i will, and until proven wrong i am assuming code club is just that incompetent. In fact past evidence suggests just that.

Why? Because they had the time to provide the information on how it was supposed to work.

They chose not to! And what's worse, all the game's representatives that have posted on this thread are saying "you don't know squat, deal with it", instead of providing official, valid information on what's expected.

Are you actually playing Wurm or spending your time in the forums complaining and trolling all the time?

Well, maybe the devs want to change this? Just because we got used to raking not being important doesn't mean that's the way the devs intended it to be.

I don't care what they want or intended. At once point Rolf intended to make Home servers raidable, ie force PvE into PvP.

A better choice would have been to double yield for every X seconds of rake time spent with a high ql rake. X time would equal the players base line sow and harvest time.

• Like 1

The point of the change was to make it so that there are more factors affecting farming, so that there is actually a point in using high ql seeds for sowing, or using a high ql rake or having any rarity level on your rake. You can actually get way more harvest than normal now.

It is sad to see players getting very angry about something they have hardly tried out, and accusing a Game Master of mocking them when he points out the issue of the critisism. Lets just try it out for a few weeks and then we can judge whether the new system is better or worse.

• Like 10

Posting to confirm that you can get a rare roll while farming now. I have never seen one before but just had one while tending a field. Kinda dumb though since there's no feedback on whether the roll succeeded or whether it will affect the crop at all since it's still growing.

But any other QQing here is just conjecture. You're all too early and need to replant a new cycle before stating these changes as fact. My guess is yields on pre-1.1 sowed fields will be bugged.

I don't care what they want or intended. At once point Rolf intended to make Home servers raidable, ie force PvE into PvP.

A better choice would have been to double yield for every X seconds of rake time spent with a high ql rake. X time would equal the players base line sow and harvest time.

And when that happened I briefly expressed my dissatisfaction and proceeded to fortify my JKH deed. I understand that complaints has its place but we gotta accept that we're all at the mercy of the whims of the devs whether we like it or not. I find it very tiresome that a lot of Wurm players seem to think that the world revolves around their personal desires and wishes. Is the prospect of having to conform to new standards really unthinkable?

Edited by EliasTheCrimson
  • Like 1

[16:02:44] You see a farmer's field, which would render about 18 handfuls of barley. The field is at full height and ready to harvest! The crops grow steadily.

63 farming

So this is a partial apology, cause they probably not nerfed it per se, but what they did is making farming totally dependant on your luck, so as i´m being lucky i apology.

still not happy with getting 4 barleys from most of my farm tiles, but lets see if the lucky 18 ones compensate it in the long run...

• Like 1

And when that happened I briefly expressed my dissatisfaction and proceeded to fortify my JKH deed. I understand that complaints has its place but we gotta accept that we're all at the mercy of the whims of the devs whether we like it or not. I find it very tiresome that a lot of Wurm players seem to think that the world revolves around their personal desires and wishes. Is the prospect of having to conform to new standards really unthinkable?

If I dislike something I'm going to speak up. I often shake my head in disgust at players who accept undesirable things. The simple fact is we players have the power to force Dev's to do as we want. But if people won't unite and protest in favor of our "personal desires and wishes" our voices never unite and never garner the power needed.

Edited by joedobo
  • Like 1

Very vocally too apparently. The thing is you're not speaking up - You're rampaging around and throwing hissy-fits over something you're not sure of how it works yet. If the farm fields had been bugged and spawned several layers ontop of each other or have let people with 1 skill harvest 50 grains at a time then yes, that'd be reason to speak up.

Voicing your opinion = Good

Throwing hissy-fits = Not so good

If I dislike something I'm going to speak up. I often shake my head in disgust at players who accept undesirable things. The simple fact is we players have the power to force Dev's to do as we want. But if people won't unite and protest in favor of our "personal desires and wishes" our voices never unite and never garner the power needed.

What I'm getting at is your tendency to declare everything that doesn't fit your personal bill as "undesirable" and therefor detrimental to the game, completely ignoring any reasons or motives aside from your personal ones. "Not caring" about whether or not the game works as intended as long as you're comfortable with it shows a massive disregard of developer integrity and an outright hilarious level of entitlement. Criticism is relevant when things are imbalanced or unfair but there's no call for a kneejerk reaction every time something is changed that somehow reduces your capacity to a small degree.

Edited by EliasTheCrimson

What I'm getting at is your tendency to declare everything that doesn't fit your personal bill as "undesirable" and therefor detrimental to the game, completely ignoring any reasons or motives aside from your personal ones. "Not caring" about whether or not the game works as intended as long as you're comfortable with it shows a massive disregard of developer integrity and an outright hilarious level of entitlement. Criticism is relevant when things are imbalanced or unfair but there's no call for a kneejerk reaction every time something is changed that somehow reduces your capacity to a small degree.

Yes that is a pretty good summarization. Again if I don't like something I'm going to speak up, plain and simple.

Edited by joedobo